Thread: Thanks Button

Thanks Button

Please consider installing the thanks button, I've seen it used on large forums like wariorforum, so it must be a stable add on.

I think it is an excellent tool, a great way to say thanks, I approve without, a reply. I often see a thread full of posts that are offering iffy advice, but there are a couple excellent responses. That would be a perfect example of where a thanks button would do a great job.

While I see your point of view, myself I think it's not needed for this forum. This forum generally values all posts, adding a Thanks or Thumbs Up to the system would end up (no offense my friends) causing some Ego problems. You also have to remember the market of this forum. What people say comes from varying technical skill levels, different marketing styles/techniques, and business models. Advice comes in different forms based on many factors of the poster, to work in this add-on you would have sometimes incorrect, flawed, or unwise decisions gaining additional support and looking like the best advice when it is not.

I guess I only see that button as wise on empirical tangible items and not opinions, advice, and services such as those provided by this forum. I also feel it encourages some lazy behavior on people's part as instead of posting a follow-up response you'd have a few answers and some people just hitting "Thanks!" and we'd lose some of the intellectual thinking as well as further posts and ideas being presented. I post on another forum with a Thumbs Up or Kudos feature and I've noticed a bit of the "me too"-ism happening there. I quite like the forum as it is atm.

I do use a service with a thanks button. In that setting, where you are downloading files a Thanks button works, as there is no need to have 7 pages of comments for an item when the thinks is quick and simply lists people. To me it's doesn't transcribe well. Of course, that is just my thinking.
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

Although I support this idea, I am not sure WHT will be implementing it any time soon. It has been suggested many times before.

There are also products and plugins available for vBulletin which allow for the original poster to select which post in the thread resolved their issue. A number of tech-related sites use similar functionality to allow votes for the best answer and that way readers don't need to sift through dozens of pages for the resolution. This is not something which would be of use in every forum here, but perhaps in some though.
    GG Web Hosting
    Backup, Digital (SSL) Certificates, Domains, Hosting, Privacy Policy, Software
    S/W: Peel Ads, Softaculous, WHMCS Addons (Abuse Mon., Affiliate Peel Ads, Client Stat., Ord. Prevention, Ord. Stat., Softaculous NOC, Sys. Cleanup)
    Authorized Reseller Program

Quote Originally Posted by GGWH-James View Post
    There are also products and plugins available for vBulletin which allow for the original poster to select which post in the thread resolved their issue. A number of tech-related sites use similar functionality to allow votes for the best answer and that way readers don't need to sift through dozens of pages for the resolution. This is not something which would be of use in every forum here, but perhaps in some though.
    Most threads don't require someone to resolve a problem. Therefore, a Thanks button would be more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Most threads don't require someone to resolve a problem. Therefore, a Thanks button would be more likely.
    That's why I said it would not be useful in all forums. It can be limited to specific forums and disabled on others. Much the same as the Thanks button may not be particularly useful in all forums.
    GG Web Hosting
    Backup, Digital (SSL) Certificates, Domains, Hosting, Privacy Policy, Software
    S/W: Peel Ads, Softaculous, WHMCS Addons (Abuse Mon., Affiliate Peel Ads, Client Stat., Ord. Prevention, Ord. Stat., Softaculous NOC, Sys. Cleanup)
    Authorized Reseller Program

I'd like to see a Bury button of sorts so that the signature spammers can be hidden. It would be faster than hitting the report button, however, just like the Thanks button it would likely be abused by friends teaming up with friends. Both are probably not a good idea. :]

I think that this'd be a nice add-on, but to be honest, it's not exactly needed.

And @Zeyr, Might want to change the font you post with. It's rather hard to read if you're not /paying attention/ -> http://puu.sh/TBc

Quote Originally Posted by Wintereise View Post
    I think that this'd be a nice add-on, but to be honest, it's not exactly needed.

And @Zeyr, Might want to change the font you post with. It's rather hard to read if you're not /paying attention/ -> http://puu.sh/TBc
    Yes, it is rather difficult to read.

Although I support this idea, I am not sure WHT will be implementing it any time soon. It has been suggested many times before.
    Don't give up hope - I'd really like to see it get implemented too!
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    Don't give up hope - I'd really like to see it get implemented too!
    Hopefully the decisions makers of WHT will decide to implement this feature in the future.

Just a thumbs up button

Quote Originally Posted by Zeyr View Post
    While I see your point of view, myself I think it's not needed for this forum. This forum generally values all posts, adding a Thanks or Thumbs Up to the system would end up (no offense my friends) causing some Ego problems. You also have to remember the market of this forum. What people say comes from varying technical skill levels, different marketing styles/techniques, and business models. Advice comes in different forms based on many factors of the poster, to work in this add-on you would have sometimes incorrect, flawed, or unwise decisions gaining additional support and looking like the best advice when it is not.
    To solve the 'ego problem', having just a thumbs up button and no thumbs down button will help. That's the reason Facebook doesn't have Unlike option on the wall.

Thumbs up button will encourage users to post valuable comments. A post with votes above a certain level gets some kind of highlighting.

BBC, NYtimes, HuffingtonPost and numerous other websites tackle the problem by allowing users to vote a comment.

I'm not keen on this sort of thing myself.

And I'm not sure people would actually use it much here because the priority of some seems to be to increase their postcount to somehow give them enhanced credibility and get their sig spam seen.

Call me cynical but I think "Stop Whinging", "Grow Up" and "Write in English" buttons would be better!

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post

And I'm not sure people would actually use it much here because the priority of some seems to be to increase their postcount to somehow give them enhanced credibility and get their sig spam seen.

Call me cynical but I think "Stop Whinging", "Grow Up" and "Write in English" buttons would be better!
    Most people who post to boost their post count or flash their signature do not write genuine replies. Therefore, a Thanks button would show appreciation for those who actually put time and effort into their replies.

Most people who post to boost their post count or flash their signature do not write genuine replies. Therefore, a Thanks button would show appreciation for those who actually put time and effort into their replies.
    As much as I dislike making short replies, this says it all:

A bit longer: I have had many posts that I have spent considerable time answering, especially if they are technical in nature. I may have taken a half hour or more to troubleshoot a speed or performance issue on someones site. Include analyzing Yslow & FireBug results, looking at the network, checking DNS, etc. Some of the responses I make can offer a assistance to future readers, not strictly the OP. I think the "Thanks" button would be a great way to highlight the best and most useful posts.

Most of my posts are well thought out and I normally read the entire thread. They are not just Me-Too posts for the most part. Having a thanks button gives people like me, who put in the extra effort, a change to have a little extra recognition.

Plus, it quickly works against people who are just trying to build their post count with "Me too" responses, as they will end up with very little in the way of "Thanks".

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post

Knowing you were not serious about these buttons; While it would be tempting to have buttons similar to those, (Spell Checker Anyone?) it would quickly turn the system into a joke.

Thanks is a respectful way to give meaningful feedback, that is easily viewable for every member. It means far more than a post count ever will.

If it works on Warrior Forum (I think that forum is larger than this one even), It can work here. If anything Warrior forum is a more cut throat group than this. They are all about Internet Marketing, talk about a hard business, where one person is just trying out out show the other, there you go. People want a high post count there for the perceived credibility it lends. However, they also use the Thanks button, which quickly allows you to cut through the "B.S." and see if someone is making meaningful posts.

Now it isn't the end all be all test of if a person is just a spammer / self promoter. For example, a customer here, might rarely get a Thanks. Just as on Warrior Forum, I've never been selling anything there, just been talking and asking questions. So I don't think I have much in the way of Thanks, but have something like a 100 posts.

Here however, with my 173 or so posts, with the quality of responses (often times my responses are answers to people questions / problems) I have been making, I'm almost certain that I would have a good 100 "Thanks" already.

"Thanks!"
    Last edited by jamiedolan; 02-09-2011 at 05:22 PM.

I'm not sure if this specific thing has been suggested before, whether it be in this thread or an older thread, but here I go. What about a thumbs up and thumbs down system? It seems to be working well for the League of Legends forum.

Example: http://screencast.com/t/sDj***cN

What about a thumbs up and thumbs down system? It seems to be working well for the League of Legends forum
    IMO the nature of so much of the content on this forum deals with personal reviews and opinions of hosts, the last thing WHT needs is a popularity contest vote on every post.

Lightbulb Thanks!

Hi all,

I think a thanks feature would be good.
    You would thank a user's post which you find helpful...

What do you think?

Marty

Maybe say a "thank you" to him as a comment (post) in the same thread. Why not?

To make your "thank you" more clear, try to quote the post (person) you want to thank.
    IhsanHost - We believe in "everyone deserves "yourdomain.com"
    The Most Affordable Shared Web Hosting, Yet Professional & Reliable.
    Pay for your domain and we will take care of the rest for you.
    Click here to check out our affordable web hosting solutions.