123systems - Decreased performance and no reply to support tickets

(Shortened version since WHT just destroyed my 15 minute work on writing this, darn 5 post until URL error)

So I bought 123systems' 2GB plan. Everything was fine in the first week. 75MB/s disk I/O. I use 123systems for hosting a Minecraft server. Ran 20 players fine without any lag.

Since the beginning, support tickets have been very fast (5-15 minutes to reply). They've mostly been confusing or they haven't answered all of my questions, I've had to ask the same question three times to get a proper answer.

After a week, things started to hit the fan. Disk I/O has dropped down to 40MB/s, we're lagging with 10 players on and 123systems isn't replying to my support tickets at all. I've been waiting 24 hours on high urgency status, and haven't got a single reply, nothing, not even "we're looking into this issue".

I believe 123systems is overloading their nodes right now and their support has gone even worse. I already have another host in my mind, which is especially made for Minecraft hosting. I know that 123systems isn't the best for gaming but it was cheap.

Anyone else experienced similar problems?

I would love to help you but your running minecraft which is known to be unoptimized and buggy beyond belief, There is nothing wrong with our main node. Everyone that run's a minecraft server can testify that if your running it your going to experience lag eventually depending on the modifications and plugins that you use. We see this all the time when in reality it's the game software and not our service(s) directly. 40MB/s to the disk is far from low, I could understand if you was getting 15MB/s or 20 but 40MB/s in standard.

Your going to experience the same issues with your new host down the road and eventually your going to realize that it is not the provider it is the game software itself.

You however have the right to your own opinion and i will be leaving this thread now as i have explained the situation and you can work from that.
    Last edited by Andrew Moore; 02-06-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta!!
    〓〓 andrew.moore[at]quadranet.com
    〓〓 http://www.QuadraNet.com

I can go and test it without any plugins, I doubt we'd still get our 70MB/s performance back.

contact me via my email and I'll see what i can do you for you, But if it turns out it's your game software(Which 99.9% of the time it is the minecraft software) you need to understand that is not our problem.

andrewm[at]123systems.net
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta!!
    〓〓 andrew.moore[at]quadranet.com
    〓〓 http://www.QuadraNet.com

Do you guys oversell your OpenVZ servers?

Seems the problem has been solved, I got support ticket reply after waiting 24 hours:

Hey Juuso,

I quickly realized that you were the same guy from WHT so i figured i would respond here with my findings, You was correct that there was issues with the main node however it took me some digging to realize what the issue was.

Apparently we have quite a few runescape guy's who love to utilize the RAM plans to run their runescape bots, The processes that these runescape people run consume 100% CPU and they run 10~20 of those processes inside their VE. This would have caused some additional lag which i have corrected, Can you please test your minecraft server to see if the performance has increase any?

Warm Regards,
    Andrew Moore
    Chief Executive Officer
    123Systems Solutions™
    Douglas,Georgia 31535
    Additionally your disk performance should have increased after removing the abusive users, I do however apologize by stating it was not a node issue, I was looking at an entirely different node when i stated that, Which was my mistake so yes i do personally apologize for that.

angelcraft:/# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 15.8891 s, 67.6 MB/s
    angelcraft:/#

Warm Regards,
    Andrew Moore
    Chief Executive Officer
    123Systems Solutions™
    Douglas,Georgia 31535

Haha, Runescape botters.

I forgot runescape was even around, good to see Andrew got it fixed.
    Jmainguy Solutions | Tech Support for Linux game servers and Windows anything.

This seems to be a repeating issue then. I have bounced back and forth with support over extreme lag on our mc server. for nerly 2 months we housed 20 slots on their 2gb ram plan, we now have half that, and with a I/O of 20-30 commonly below 20. As of right now its siting at 33.

The last reply was they were running tests and will get back to me in 24 hours, that was 5 days ago. mind you I have not reopened the case as we are in search of a new host.

I realize MC is very buggy, but im sorry your servers have below average performance.
    www.mjmwebtech.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting,24/7 support, 99.9% uptime

I have a max package server with them as well. Saw return to performance a few days ago when he "caught" the abusive users. Now three days later we've seen a return to lagtastica. Makes me sad because I think hes trying but...