Help with POP E-Mail

Hey Everyone,

I have a question, it's been a nagging problem to me (that only occurs when I get a new system but has recently occurred). I setup my POP accounts with Windows Live Mail (the latest version) and I chose the option to delete the incoming e-mail off of the server after I delete it from my inbox. However this doesn't happen. The very first e-Mail I received is still on the server so when I have to reconfigure my mail client I get my inbox flooded with a thousand e-mails.

Anyone know how to get it so that the Windows Live Mail will really send a notification to the mailserver to delete the e-mail.

Thank you!

I always hate it when someone answers my question with a solution I didn't ask for, so at the risk of doing that, I'll offer my solution:

Use a Gmail account to retrieve email off the server and delete when it retrieves the email. Gmail will sort through it and move the suspected spam messages to the spam folder. Use Live Mail to retrieve the email from the Inbox of the Gmail account. It will "disappear" from the Gmail Inbox, but is still archived on-line in the nearly 8GB of space they give you. Their search routines make finding any message very easy if you can't find it in Live Mail's folders.

Periodically log into Gmail and examine the email in the spam folder (it gets deleted after 7 days).

I use this solution and it works better than relying on the server's spam filtering and storing messages there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChemist View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I have a question, it's been a nagging problem to me (that only occurs when I get a new system but has recently occurred). I setup my POP accounts with Windows Live Mail (the latest version) and I chose the option to delete the incoming e-mail off of the server after I delete it from my inbox. However this doesn't happen. The very first e-Mail I received is still on the server so when I have to reconfigure my mail client I get my inbox flooded with a thousand e-mails.

Anyone know how to get it so that the Windows Live Mail will really send a notification to the mailserver to delete the e-mail.

Thank you!
    Are you talking about deleting the email from your iPhone inbox? Or something similar?

I don't think Hotmail allows IMAP or POP.
    I have tried out Hotmail but it didn't work very well at all.

Ok, here is my situation. I have POP e-mail accounts with my web host. I use Windows Live Mail as my POP client on my local computer. When I added my POP accounts that I created in cPanel to my mail client it asks you how many days you want to keep the message on the server after you delete it. I am talking about any message, not just spam.

So, I have a web host
    I use POP locally not webmail

Even though I have had the option of choosing to delete the message instantly from the server when I delete it, it only deletes off of my local mail client and stays on the web server.

Does anyone know how to make it so that when I delete a message from my POP Inbox (Start Menu--->Windows Live Mail (or for others Outlook Express) locally it will remove it from the server.

Ohh I know what you're talking about. For POP I believe, it will not delete it when you delete it locally.
    The server has to be IMAP

Such as yahoo, gmail, aol, etc

I use POP with Outlook and I have it set to delete the emails from the servers instant and it works without any issues. However I do not have mine set to leave anything on the server.
    Last edited by EGC-Carlos; 02-05-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    EGC Solutions
    Extreme Personal & Business Hosting
    99.9% Uptime 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Cpanel Fantastico & Much More!

Quote Originally Posted by EGC-Carlos View Post
    I use POP with Outlook and I have it set to delete the emails from the servers instant and it works without any issues. However I do not have mine set to leave anything on the server.
    I am sorry, but I guess i'm wrong then.
    But I don't think the OP is using outlook. Is he?

Quote Originally Posted by emckai View Post
    I am sorry, but I guess i'm wrong then.
    But I don't think the OP is using outlook. Is he?
    Windows Live Mail replaced Outlook Express starting with Windows Vista I believe, so is not really the same thing as Outlook.
    EGC Solutions
    Extreme Personal & Business Hosting
    99.9% Uptime 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Cpanel Fantastico & Much More!

I would check your settings and make sure you didn't click Save on Server until Deleted from my Inbox or something like that. Maybe change it to leave on server for a day or two then delete and see if that works. I've had no issues with POP and Windows Live Mail, it deletes the messages as they download for me. But personally I prefer IMAP.