"remote location"-to"remote location" file transfer AKA URL upload

Hi,

I signed up for an an a/c with Mozy, a data backup service and backed up about 40GB of my data on my a/c with them. Somehow, their system marked 38GB of my data for deletion and this 38GB can be deleted anytime.

All this data backup was done when I was on working holiday for a period of 5mths and before I left from there, I uninstalled the Mozy software from the laptop there, then formatted the h/drive and returned the laptop to my friend from whom I'd borrowed it, so I have no copies of the data I had uploaded to Mozy.

Unfortunately, they say they cannot do anything to unmark my files from deletion and I can try my luck and restore my files before they get deleted.

I have setup a restore request with them and the request lasts for 7 days during which I have to complete my restore.

The problem is, I'm back home, where I'm using the best of the worst internet ('cos that all that's available here) which gives me 512k downlink and keeps going down 20 times a day (and Mozy's restore doesn't support resume) and not only that, but we keep getting power outages.

What I thus need, is a free service, online or maybe an FTP type of software which would allow me to transfer files directly from my Mozy restore (the 38GB have been set into 82 self-extracting .exe files of about 400-500MB each) to my web hosting a/c at Hostgator or something similar, without me having to download the files from Mozy onto my PC first.

For the record, the Mozy files are in the format: https://irl2.mozy.com/r/.........exe

Hey, can you please tell me do moxy allow sending data to remote ftp, if yes then I can help you

Quote Originally Posted by fkasmani View Post
    For the record, the Mozy files are in the format: https://irl2.mozy.com/r/.........exe
    If they're web downloads like that you should be able to grab them using wget. You'll need a shared host with SSH access and a very relaxed attitude to disk space usage (ask first!), or a VPS.

Once you're at the shell prompt of the shared server / VPS, just type:
    Code:
    screen
    This will keep your session alive even if the connection to your home breaks down. So if you get logged out you can login again and reconnect to the old session using:
    Code:
    screen -r
    Then for the actual downloads:
    Code:
    wget https://irl2.mozy.com/r/.........exe
    Good luck.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

You'll need a shared host with SSH access and a very relaxed attitude to disk space usage (ask first!), or a VPS.
    Being Hostgator I am not so sure they will allow them SSH access. Usually the larger hosts like this do not allow shared customers to have this kind of access. Without the SSH I am not quite sure the best way to go about this.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters

Hostgator allows SSH. Not sure about the second condition tho...
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Being Hostgator I am not so sure they will allow them SSH access. Usually the larger hosts like this do not allow shared customers to have this kind of access. Without the SSH I am not quite sure the best way to go about this.
    You'd be surprised what larger providers actually do have SSH (Jailed) as a default

I believe Bluehost/Hostmonster do this by default.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Ah, I see your are correct. Very good grasshopper.

I can give you an ssh enabled account that you can download to with wget.

Sounds like mozy are being pretty useless if a backup company won't go out their way to help you keep your backups live!

This is a one time offer to assist you specifically. Incero does not do free hosting. Hope this is ok to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx LL View Post
    Hey, can you please tell me do moxy allow sending data to remote ftp, if yes then I can help you
    the download method is https

Hostgator have been really helpful as always. I wrote to them and this is what they replied:
    ===
    Although I am not 100% sure, I believe that you would download the files using a command line tool like the command curl (or wget, or GET). You would have to use an ssh client on your machine to connect to your account on the server, then on the command line use curl followed by the correct flags and URL that you want downloaded.

First the easy part. To do this you need SSH access to your account and access to the tools named curl, wget, and GET. I have enabled both of these options for your main reseller account.

Second, you have to connect to your server using your reseller account name and password. You can find instructions on how to do this at the following support article:
    support.hostgator.com/article...use-ssh-access

Third, and here is the hard part. You have to figure out which of the three tools (curl, wget, GET) would work for what you are doing, and figure out all of the flags and options that would download the file for you. My suggestion is you trying using curl (sometime spelled with caps like this cURL).
    Here is the "man" (or manual) page for curl:
    unix.com/man-page/Linux/1/curl/
    =====
    The problem is, I am finding this a bit too complicated. I don't mind spending some time to familiarize myself with this, but that's exactly the problem - I'm racing against time.

Isn't there any URL-to-FTP software with which I could upload these Mozy restore segments directly into my Hostgator a/c straight from Mzoy? I believe this would be the fastest way as both Mozy and Hostgator would have good data pipes to the internet backbone.

Just type wget URL eg. wget google.com

That will download the file to your current directory. You can then login to your FTP to get the files assuming you wget the files to a folder that is FTP accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Just type wget URL eg. wget google.com

That will download the file to your current directory. You can then login to your FTP to get the files assuming you wget the files to a folder that is FTP accessible.
    how and where do I type this?

how and where do I type this?
    You type this in your SSH client. Putty is a popular one for connecting by ssh.

gosh, I've never used this before. BTW, I'm using Linux on my PC and putty is being installed just now - hope I don't mess up anything on my hosting space. Is there any type of GUI based ssh client?

oh great!! I just checked out how to connect to my hostgator a/c via SSH using putty and hostgator says, "...To access SSH, download winscp or PuTTY. Enter your IP address and port 2222....." Now how will I connect - I'm behind my ISP's NAT thing and my IP address is 192.168.xxx.xxx
    Checking out on whatsmyip.com gives my ISP's NAT address through which tens of other customers like me are connected.

Put in your hostgator domain / IP for the IP in putty. By "your" it is most likely referring to "your hosting account IP."
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Put in your hostgator domain / IP for the IP in putty. By "your" it is most likely referring to "your hosting account IP."
    oh thanks. they've never given that to me though
    oh yes, I'll get it from my control panel, I'm sure - guess this has really stressed me out.
    Last edited by fkasmani; 02-05-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: little mistake

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Once you're at the shell prompt of the shared server / VPS, just type:
    Code:
    screen
    This will keep your session alive even if the connection to your home breaks down. So if you get logged out you can login again and reconnect to the old session using:
    Code:
    screen -r
    From putty I log in to the server and I get a little black window asking for my login and password. Where then can I put in the screen command, 'cos after putting in my login and password if I type in screen, it says "No such file or directory"

yum install screen

edit: guess you can't install on hostgator. But you could ask them to install it.
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff

with the screen command, would the transfer continue if my internet connection went down or I had a power outage?

yes

[short post filler text]

just the plain screen command or anything else required together?

Whatever you spawn inside screen will keep running even if you close your SSH connection, lose power to your home computer, etc.

When you log back into ssh, just do screen -r (assuming there is only 1 active screen session). You can use screen -ls to list screen sessions.

http://ss64.com/bash/screen.html

Gordon's correct about screen, of course, and you may need to ask HG to install it, but:
    if I type in screen, it says "No such file or directory"
    Are you sure it wasn't "command not found"? I thought "No such file or directory" was a Windows message.
    Chris

You won't be able to install screen in a shared account, it's a server-wide installation afaik.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

SCREEN was not working so I wrote to hostgator and this is the reply
    I apologize for the inconvenience, but screen is not permitted by the shared account servers shell.

SCREEN was not working so I wrote to hostgator and this is the reply
    That's not unusual. Either run wget without screen (the downloads should be fast anyway), or find another host, or revert to my original offer of assistance: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...79&postcount=8. If you send me the download links and an FTP account I can wget them and PUT them on your FTP account.

You could also consider a VPS from vps.net, you can buy nodes on there daily. Once setup with centos (standard image) just do this:
    yum -y install screen
    screen
    wget http://mozy.com......./file1.tar (or whatever the link is)
    ftp
    open myftpdomain.com
    user
    pass
    PUT file1.tar

etc