hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Preferred Layer 3 Switch, and why?

Forum Jump

Preferred Layer 3 Switch, and why?

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Web Hosting Master

Preferred Layer 3 Switch, and why?

I would like to know what some of you like to use for a Layer 3 switch, and why? In the process of buying some switches but would like to know what some of you think about the switch(s) that you have. I'm mainly looking for switches that have 10G Uplink(s) capacity with 24-48 available ports. Also let me know if the switch has a nice web interface for remote managing.

So far I have looked into the Netgear GSM7352S series and they look pretty impressive. Has built in 4x10Gig ports. Do any of you use those switches?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Backup Guru

If you need 10G uplinks, there are some new models in the Cisco 3560E and 3560X series that take X2 or SFP+ modules. If you only need GigE uplinks, the 3560G is widely used in data center environments.

We're currently testing a WS-C3560X-24T-S with an IP Services upgrade. It will be taking default routes with BGP, as well as routing IPv6. If anyone wants to know how it goes, feel free to follow up with me by email.

*** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Web Hosting Master

Netgear's normally do have some ok, and possibly impressive features. However at the end of the day their still just a Netgear.

Personally I just wouldn't use them for a public facing network, especially not if I were going to push 10Gig+ through it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMEHosting View Post
I would like to know what some of you like to use for a Layer 3 switch, and why? In the process of buying some switches but would like to know what some of you think about the switch(s) that you have. I'm mainly looking for switches that have 10G Uplink(s) capacity with 24-48 available ports. Also let me know if the switch has a nice web interface for remote managing.

So far I have looked into the Netgear GSM7352S series and they look pretty impressive. Has built in 4x10Gig ports. Do any of you use those switches?
I have some H3C S5600 (also relabeled by 3com) 24port models. They have a 2 10GE uplinks I'm not currently using. They seem to have huge issues with jumbo frames.

If I were looking for new ones with the same parameters (lower-than-cisco price, but high feature set) I might look at Allied Telesyn.

If I needed to know they'll run stable at full 10ge load and have well-implemented features I'd go with juniper ex or extreme.

For you it depends, is the switch just supposed to route a few subnets that are not their own AS? if yes then the netgear might be enough. If it's really internet-facing then you might wanna stay away from it. The datasheet doesn't really shine in the routing features.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Master of the Truth

Best? Juniper ex4200, cheaper? Go the cisco route mentioned above. Also in the mix a brocade CER it runs the same code as a mlx and iirc it can handle 512k routes in fib orrr the ces line which only handle 32k routes but still has bells and whistles.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
WHT Addict

I dont know whether this one is true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...yer_3_switches

But there are obviously differences.

Update: And no, dont buy a Netgear for real business!

Last edited by snoms; 02-05-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 AM
unghhh... Baaandwidth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMEHosting View Post

If you need 10gbe ports, then the dell 6248 is a good option, assuming that the features on them match what you're looking for (ip address table size, routing protocols supported, etc). It's pretty easy to configure something like this with 4x10gbit ports and optics via ebay for under $2k, and they've performed solidly for me.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Not so experienced

We use a Cisco 3560G, but if you need 10Gig ports, a 3560-E will do the trick.

We had used HP and another brand i can't quite remember before trying Cisco, and i must say that Cisco has been the best out of all 3. We actually had problems with the other switches, he HP one died after 1 month of basically no usage. And the other one had some weird speed problem..