Encrypted FTP cert?

I had a friend of mine say he tried to use encrypted FTP on the server today and he gets a message saying my certification is expired in 08, how do I go about fixing this or is there a fix for it? It uses a LX admin/kloxo back end (no I never leave it running, I just used it to install the basics quite fast). But how do I change the certificate on it? Do I need to buy one or can I make a fake one for FTP or what? I have alot of servers that use FTP and I would like to do this for all of them. Thanks!

If you just want a self signed cert, you can generate a new one with any expiration date you want. You can also buy one but you probably don't want to do that for every one of your servers just for FTP.
    Kloxo has a built in feature for generating self signed SSL certs.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Seriously isn't this what SFTP is for?

Quote Originally Posted by streaky81 View Post
    nvm. looks like i was wrong.
    Last edited by Website themes; 02-10-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: my mistake

SFTP is file transfer over SSH. This works well, but is limited i.e. virtual users, permissions and chrooting. For most hosting needs, FTPs, FTP over SSL, is a better choice. You can have all of your FTP options and the security of SSL. Unfortunately, many FTP clients reject invalid and self signed certs.

My advise is find out what FTP client software is being used and see if there is an option to disable checking of the remote certificate. More than likely, it will reject a current self signed certificate as well.
    managedway
    WE BUILD CLOUDS

Cloud Computing | Fiber Optic Internet | Colocation

Sorry FTP (the worst designed protocol in the history of the internet short of bittorent) or dodgy known broken hacks to FTP are more secure or convenient than SFTP? Really?

Streaky81's post above got me looking at sftp chrooting. There is out of the box support for it in newer versions. Its called the chrootdirectory option and it works pretty well. Rsanders I don't know what you mean by "virtual users". SFTP does chrooting with regular linux users accounts. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with it (as I was) because the openssh version included with Centos does not have this feature. We should see it in centos 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Website themes View Post
    Streaky81's post above got me looking at sftp chrooting. There is out of the box support for it in newer versions. Its called the chrootdirectory option and it works pretty well. Rsanders I don't know what you mean by "virtual users". SFTP does chrooting with regular linux users accounts. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with it (as I was) because the openssh version included with Centos does not have this feature. We should see it in centos 6.
    Not my first rodeo....

http://www.proftpd.org/docs/howto/VirtualUsers.html

Very useful. As for security yeah it's FTP. But, I can't reinvent the wheel in every post. I've worked with chroot SSH and SFTP and it's not the right answer to every problem. For one, you can only have one UID and GID.
    managedway
    WE BUILD CLOUDS

Sorry FTP (the worst designed protocol in the history of the internet short of bittorent) or dodgy known broken hacks to FTP are more secure or convenient than SFTP? Really?
    Sure, great, now I've got this shared hosting server and I need to create 10 logins for 10 different developers with 10 different usernames and 10 passwords to the same files with the same permissions....

*sighs*
    managedway
    WE BUILD CLOUDS

Quote Originally Posted by RSanders View Post
    Sure, great, now I've got this shared hosting server and I need to create 10 logins for 10 different developers with 10 different usernames and 10 passwords to the same files with the same permissions....

*sighs*
    Or multiple ssh keys to a single user account...
    Cloud Pixies Ltd. Adding some Pixie magic into the Cloud!

ssh keys doubleplusgood

FTP is a chump protocol. It is blocked in the firewall for incoming connections on my servers.
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale

Quote Originally Posted by RSanders View Post
    Sorry, the files still have to be writable for those people anyways so you're losing something somewhere anyways.

Make the files group writable what's the problem?