Better option than Wordpress?

Wordpress, even with cache plug-ins, seems to eat the heck out of some CPU and RAM. Is there a better blogging script, with a smaller footprint to use or by shunning WP do I place myself back into the area of a CMS script?
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeyr View Post
    Wordpress, even with cache plug-ins, seems to eat the heck out of some CPU and RAM. Is there a better blogging script, with a smaller footprint to use or by shunning WP do I place myself back into the area of a CMS script?
    I've used Wordpress and it is obviously the most popular, but you are right, it can really start eating the resources if you load it up with a lot of plugins. I've never used any of the blog scripts below, but they are the other open source options listed in Softaculous, maybe one will fit your needs better.

b2evolution
    LifeType
    Dotclear
    Textpattern
    Nucleus
    Serendipity
    Open Blog
    eggBlog
    Pixie

Have you looked into ExpressionEngine? It's a very powerful piece of software with a pretty solid framework behind it (CodeIgniter).

I can't say for certain how it performs with high volume - we've only tested it in controlled environemnts, but it's definitely worth a look.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

If you have a very busy website in wordpress . May be you need to use nginx webserver with caching . I have some wp websites and I really love wordpress .

Also try to install memcahced server too.
    24x7 PROACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

The blog does not exist yet, I'm trying to get the backend solid, a good blog software, collecting external links to some of the educational sites. The site has potential to grow, and a forum might have to come into play if it does indeed get popular. Right now it's all hypothetical, and I do have the needed skills to take my content and reformat it to fit any new software I would use if I start with WP and it gets too heavy.

I suppose for now I can thank you for the list you gave, I can run over the Open Source CMS page again to look at all their toys. Meanwhile I guess I can gather links to the official Association site and other sites with information and various treatment conclusions. No cure yet, but I'm pinning my hope on the Japanese as they are the forerunners in researching and trying to cure it, whereas America is going by the old "Treat the symptoms as they come, finding a cure is low priority".

I prefer these two after wordpress
    b2evolution includes almost all feature you would expect from a free blog script, and many more.

Nucleus CMS easy to use free blog management application.

Wordpress can be had on CPU and RAM . Sometimes it can be hard on the resources due to the way you have your server tuned along with the settings for wordpress. Question, what's your hosting account specs? Are you running on a shared account, or your own personal server?

Quote Originally Posted by LongArms View Post
    Wordpress can be had on CPU and RAM . Sometimes it can be hard on the resources due to the way you have your server tuned along with the settings for wordpress. Question, what's your hosting account specs? Are you running on a shared account, or your own personal server?
    I run on a shared account, 5000 MB Disk Space and 150 GB Monthly Bandwidth.I could probably get away with a bit of high ram/cpu usage but not for longer then a few months before I felt bad about it. I know roughly how many other accounts are on the server and I can get some info on their usage if needed. But I'm well situated host-wise.

but i really think that wordpress is the best
    and until now .. i don't have any problem with it ..

We have W3 Total Cache installed on all WordPress sites and they run like a cat through water. Very speedy and responsive, very low CPU/RAM/SQL/IO and ultra happy clients

Quote Originally Posted by Jay August View Post
    We have W3 Total Cache installed on all WordPress sites and they run like a cat through water. Very speedy and responsive, very low CPU/RAM/SQL/IO and ultra happy clients
    I have same problem like "Zeyr" and also seeking alternative of WP cache plugin. Thanks to share "W3 Total Cache", I will try it in my blogs.

I have same problem like "Zeyr" and also seeking alternative of WP cache plugin. Thanks to share "W3 Total Cache", I will try it in my blogs.
    Be sure to -fully- uninstall it afterwards if you're not happy with it. It can be a PITA when moving sites (blank screens, 503 errors, db connection problems)

Have you checked on the cronjob from your plugins or other plugins that could have possibly caused overloading?

The majority of your resource usage will most likely be coming from other plugins... What plugins do you hav installed?
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Question WordPress or b2evolution or nucleus?

I am also very interested in this topic. My wife is going to start a blog on a new domain and we have no experience with blogging software. WordPress is the "logical" choice, because it is used by such a huge percentage of bloggers. However, it does have some issues regarding server resources, security, etc.

In Fantastico, 3 blogging apps are available:
    (a) WordPress 3.0.3
    (b) b2evolultion 3.3.3-stable
    (c) Nucleus 3.51

Does anyone have experience with b2evolution and/or Nucleus?

Our priorities are: Security, Ease of updating everything (plug ins, themes, data base, etc.), Ease of backing up everything, Lower server load and (if possible) available in Spanish (her native language).

TIA! Lanny

If you're having some heavey plugins in wp, then try to optimize speed with some speed optimizing plugins

Sorry I don't have the answer. I have only just successfully installed my first Wordpress with multi-user and domain mapping.

I would certainly like to see a list of blogware and CMS's in terms of CPU usage or any other "footprint" measures. I invite anyone who is serious about this to do the research and post the results here.

Meanwhile, I am only certain that Wordpress is the most likely CMS to meet all of my needs for the dozen or more websites I wish to run. So I am just focusing on Wordpress and planning to deal with whatever happens.

If CPU or RAM usage becomes a problem, then based partly on WHT Wordpress discussions, I feel hopeful that WP Super Cache will solve the problem. If not, I will try the combination of Hyper Cache plus DB Cache Reloaded.

If caching add-ons all fail to meet my expectations, I will stop using Wordpress-MU and instead operate numerous separate installations. I expect that caching will have some undesired affects. However I think that using a super-cached Wordpress, if necessary, is still at least as flexible, reliable and user-friendly as any other blogware or CMS option.

Finally, don't forget to surf for articles such as Scriptol.com's "How to make Wordpress faster."
    • define ('WP_CACHE', true)
    • define ('WP_POST_REVISIONS', false);
    • Purge the theme
    • Purge plugins
    • Choose efficient images
    • Reduce dependencies
    • Standard admin panel efficiency options: number of items on the home page, length of text for each post on the home, delete pingbacks and other dependencies to external sites, the number of widgets. According to Scriptol.com, ""Calendar and archives are a first choice for immediate removal.""
    Krystof
    For my philosophy see: Do Stock Markets Make Sustainability Impossible?
    [Friendly reminder for all: WHT rules include max 2 active signature links. Also, do not mention own site or email (POC) in non-ad posts.]

Wordpress is the best blog engine CMS, you can tweak it by reducing number of plugins and making you blog simple with a good theme.