Renting Windows Keys

Hi, im new to the VPS business and i was wondering about how most people go about handling the Windows Licenses? Do you rent the key from microsoft of do you actually purchase and lease it out?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Purchasing a normal key and renting it out would give you problems!

Microsoft has a special service for service providers
    http://www.microsoft.com/hosting/en/...abenefits.aspx

thanks for this information this is exactly what im looking for. Now do they work with small businesses that would only have 1-4 VPS's to begin? or will this be to much for that?

Quote Originally Posted by kholy View Post
    thanks for this information this is exactly what im looking for. Now do they work with small businesses that would only have 1-4 VPS's to begin? or will this be to much for that?
    They don't care how little or much you use. As long as you don't report Zero Usage for more than 1-2 months at a time, they're pretty much fine with what ever.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

You can rent from microsoft if you are a Microsoft SPLA partner.
    CCIHosting.com - Anonymous Offshore Hosting Solutions with DDoS Protection
    99.9% Uptime and 24x7 Tech Support via Live Chat, Telephone and Tickets
    Skype ccipanama

is it easy to become a SPLA partner?

is it easy to become a SPLA partner?
    Get in touch with Dell or HP if you're in the US. You can be up and running within a few days. Just make sure you read your contract carefully and know what's in it.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

i really sound new but if im doing it through dell/hp do they charge for going through them or how does that part work?

i really sound new but if im doing it through dell/hp do they charge for going through them or how does that part work?
    You have to go through a distributor such as Dell or HP. You can't go direct to Microsoft.

We use HP. They give you a price list of everything and you report your usage at the end of the month, write out a check, send it off. It's as easy as that.

thats for the help and advice.. i will be contacting HP.. just from your experience are the prices reasonable?

thats for the help and advice.. i will be contacting HP.. just from your experience are the prices reasonable?
    It's strictly controlled by Microsoft. Whomever you go with will have the same pricing.

To get in touch with HP, you'll need to email HP SLMS SPLA Americas <[email protected]>

Ok last question. now with this were you able to use these licenses for your servers as well? we have our main licenses for our 2008 r2 hyper-v but for each VPS inside that i would like to use

Ok last question. now with this were you able to use these licenses for your servers as well? we have our main licenses for our 2008 r2 hyper-v but for each VPS inside that i would like to use
    If you have Server 2008 R2 Datacenter, you can install any version of Windows Server that's less than or equal to Server 2008 R2 Datacenter as a guest operating system without any need to pay for additional licensing.

thats very good to know... thanks for all the help Matt R...

you wouldn't happen to know anything about cPanel and offering / renting that?

thats very good to know... thanks for all the help Matt R...

you wouldn't happen to know anything about cPanel and offering / renting that?
    To become a partner, it takes a $1000 deposit that you can redeem after one year of being a partner. You need a minimum amount of licenses out at any given point in time to remain a partner.

It's easier to just go through your datacenter in most cases.

what if my datacenter doesn't offer it? can you get from elsewhere?

yes you can, we rent ours from buycpanel.com you can also rent them from ndchost.com. The ndchost.com also offer's there backup mx plugin at some form of discount (may even be free) to customers that use them for cpanel licences.

we use the backup mx plugin (with one of their hosted vps options) which works really well (it's the cpanel dns only with the plugin added, so we use it for ns as well).

joe
    www.JGwebhosting.co.uk - CPanel Control panel, domain registration, Reseller packages And 24X7 Technical support! - Now Taking in Hosting Refugee's

www.JGpcrepair.co.uk - Computer repair, New Systems, Software, Hardware

Correct me if I m wrong. But you dont need SPLA license if you "purchase" win2k8 Datacenter edition to deploy VPS right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kusai View Post
    Correct me if I m wrong. But you dont need SPLA license if you "purchase" win2k8 Datacenter edition to deploy VPS right ?
    That is incorrect and anyone telling you different needs to re-read their SPLA. Microsoft SPLA is very complex and you definitely need to contact a company offering SPLA licensing to learn the ropes and understand the licensing pricing.
    * GeekStorage.com, LLC - Offering awesome website hosting for over 9 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Pure SSD VPS * Managed Dedicated