Lightbulb Niche Market Web Hosting

Goodmorning;

Do any of you focus your hosting business on a niche market? Such as just marketing to and doing hosting for one type of business; for example hardware stores. Then you create tools for their market? Maybe a specialzed shopping cart / order systems with an EDI for the systems they commonly use. Perhaps loyalty programs structured for their type of business that your software manages? Customer portals that are easy to customize, that interface with vendors, in this example that might mean an interface with paint companies for color selection tools.

Some businesses do very well catering to a niche market, but i've seen very few in the hosting world who seem to focus on niche markets.

Sorry if I missed any typos I'm on my ipod.

Trust me, the niche market is the way to go! I will tell you right now, a niche that is widely under estimated is Blogging for Photographers! Photographers need higher bandwidth and generally more HDD because usually they are displaying high-res pictures. That being said, photographers generally are willing to spend the extra $$ to host themselves on a stable platform! Offering something extra, (like ShootQ) might also set you apart from the competition, (which is really not much for this niche)!

Quote Originally Posted by TBradley View Post
    Trust me, the niche market is the way to go! I will tell you right now, a niche that is widely under estimated is Blogging for Photographers! Photographers need higher bandwidth and generally more HDD because usually they are displaying high-res pictures. That being said, photographers generally are willing to spend the extra $$ to host themselves on a stable platform! Offering something extra, (like ShootQ) might also set you apart from the competition, (which is really not much for this niche)!
    Agreed.You could use blogging in general also as a niche.There are millions out there who want hosting just for the sake of blogging.

Quote Originally Posted by samkak View Post
    Agreed.You could use blogging in general also as a niche.There are millions out there who want hosting just for the sake of blogging.
    Very true. But generally, Blog Hosting is more competitive and therefore not a niche I would really recommend, although it is a completely valid suggestion!

Thanks for the suggestion. I get definitely understand that need. As a person who shoots a large number of RAW photos, I wish there was a service that hosted those files at a reasonable cost. Might be a good application for using S3 for the storage / CDN.

I'm going to explore this idea some more.

Thank You.

http://www.wordpress.com

Are lots of people looking for things they don't offer?

Quote Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post

http://www.wordpress.com

Are lots of people looking for things they don't offer?
    Could you please clarify your question?

What can you offer that Wordpress.com does not? Or rather why should someone sign up with you rather than them? At least that is what I got as the meaning of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizumzen View Post
    What can you offer that Wordpress.com does not? Or rather why should someone sign up with you rather than them? At least that is what I got as the meaning of the question.
    Well, I could ramble for hours about the differences between hosted Wordpress and Wordpress.com, but I'm not going to.

See THIS!

Samkak said:

I'm say, what's the point, how do you compete in that broad market when you have free offers like WP.com

Jamie

Well, I could ramble for hours about the differences between hosted Wordpress and Wordpress.com, but I'm not going to.

See THIS!
    I'm not entirely sure that is a particularly good comparison for the blogging community. Most bloggers know nothing about computers. So why would someone who knows nothing about computers choose a service that talks about running their own PHP code? I mean they'll probably just be turned off by that.

People in the computer industry always seem to forget that the people who know about computers is much smaller than the people who don't.