I need some webhost recommendations

Well I'm looking to make a small-moderated size website. It is going to have regular pages, a forum such as simple machines forum, and a picture gallery such as Coppermine.

Here are some facts to consider-----

1. I want to spend a totally of $100/yr or LESS (up to $90/yr for the hosting, and up to $10/yr for the domain name).
    2. I'm located in Colorado, USA.
    3. Reliable and fast.
    4. Exceptional customer service.

I guess I'm trying to stay away from the unlimited hosts as well...

Let me know if you need more info or if it isnt possible. Thanks for your time and help!!
    Last edited by Her Qwertyness; 02-03-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Many years ago I was a very happy customer of a Portland firm named NetworkEleven. Very high end hosting and great network connections.
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Her Qwertyness View Post
    Well I'm looking to make a small-moderated size website. It is going to have regular pages, a forum such as simple machines forum, and a picture gallery such as Coppermine.

1. I want to spend a totally of $100/yr or LESS (up to $90/yr for the hosting, and up to $10/yr for the domain name).
    3. Reliable and fast.

Let me know if you need more info or if it isnt possible. Thanks for your time and help!!
    You should be able to find a lot of hosts that will provide enough for you with that budget, and those requirements.

SMF actually has a pretty small footprint. I might make a suggestion though, just based on my experience. I have operated a site that, up until recently, used Coppermine and SMF to build the "community". Even with a bridge between the two that allows a common log in for your members, there are problems with updates and mods, and that sort of thing, as you move forward. In the end, I found it much better to use a mod to SMF for images rather than have a separate gallery. That's not a slam against Coppermine, its just that SMF is really a bit more closed than a truly open-source solution would be, and integration mods are somewhat limited.

I converted that site to IP Board, but still host a fairly large non-profit site that is "visually integrated" using Wordpress as the "front end" and SMF as the forums. This allows the forums to be forums, and allows the admin to create pages, etc. I avoided any kind of common log in bridge on this site to make it easier for the admins (the non-profit has a rotating board of directors, and someone new is always having to administer the website). It works well, and they are able to quickly add content, etc. That might be something for you to think about!

check out MDDHosting

You might want to check out MDDHosting: http://www.mddhosting.com. They're based in Indiana, but their servers are in Colorado so I imagine you'll get a great connection.

More importantly, a few keyword searches will show you just how good a reputation MDDHosting has here.

@ Strider, thanks I'll look them up!

@ fshagan, I have no clue where to start to look for hosts within my budget and features. I google but all the sites I've been to say the same hosts over and over again such as ipage, justhost, and fatcow, immotion or w/e... I'm so lost!! Is there a list somewhere?

@ liquidfractal, thanks I'll look into them!!

Your budget is probably higher than it needs to be for your requirements. Looking at what you are planning for your site a basic shared hosting plan will suit you just fine. Many hosts offer a free domain with a purchase of a 1 or 2 year term. So you might save even more there.

You should be able to find a good plan in that range for under $50-$60 easily.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters

Your budget and requirements are very realistic and I would like to tell you that you are heading in the right direction. Take a look in the Shared Hosting Offers section:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Contact a few hosts and check their response time.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Wow that list is... overwhelming... o_O

Quote Originally Posted by CrocWeb View Post
    Contact a few hosts and check their response time.
    Sales and support response times are totally different.

Yes it is, however take your time in choosing the correct host for you, just make sure you read their TOS and ask as many questions as possible. Good Luck.
    EGC Solutions
    Extreme Personal & Business Hosting
    99.9% Uptime 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Cpanel Fantastico & Much More!

@ Strider, thanks I'll look them up!

@ fshagan, I have no clue where to start to look for hosts within my budget and features. I google but all the sites I've been to say the same hosts over and over again such as ipage, justhost, and fatcow, immotion or w/e... I'm so lost!! Is there a list somewhere?

@ liquidfractal, thanks I'll look into them!!
    It is daunting, so you have to narrow the choices down by some of your requirements. You mentioned finding a host where the server is in the Western US, so that eliminates quite a few. Look through the offers and make a list, then PM or email the hosts and see how well they respond, and how much they can help you get started (some hosts offer only the space, and don't help with installation of your site, while others will give a lot of help).

Web site hosting no longer needs to be a long and tedious search. It was hard for me to find a good host and after a months of my search I found pacifichost.. hope they can suit your needs.

This should be fine on a shared provider or within a shared environment. Depending on it's growth and it's possibilities, it would not need anything more than this to start off with.

Most providers will off quick installers to get you running with the software immediately, others may not and would require you to install manually - I'd say this be a rare case unless you like doing the such manually.

3. Reliable and fast.
    You will find a lot of providers, too many maybe in this instance

I could not vouch on the side of "Exceptional" with a lot that I have used in time, though, there are many out there under the radar that do offer a decent operational system and "Exceptional Support", it's a matter of choosing the right one for your needs and your budget that might throw you off - however, I know quite a few that will fit within your budget, but as I am not one to fazzle everyone with their praise I'll let you manage your own research on this one.

It's be wise to think realistic, many large providers do tend to limit you based around what you can/can't upload, inode of files and folders on limits, and restrictions to how much you can use per day etc - it's really not worth the hassle.

This is a new site correct, new coppermine and forum?
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

try siteground or buyhttp there are huge number of list you can try any of them these two are good suited with coppermine installation you can try these also

oh yea. by the way, how much bandwith and space do you need,Her Qwertyness?
    That will help alot helping you get your best decision.

iiWebHost.com - good webhosting
    ★ VPS , Dedicated Servers
    ★ Website : http://www.iiwebhost.com

you need shared hosting?

Not sure how much stuff I need yet. It is going to be a new site, thinking about shared hosting. Not much members yet, its going to be like a club website where Coloradans can gather and post/share stuff about aquariums and stuff.

Not sure how much stuff I need yet. It is going to be a new site, thinking about shared hosting. Not much members yet, its going to be like a club website where Coloradans can gather and post/share stuff about aquariums and stuff.
    I host a few club sites, including one of my own that is devoted to amateur boat building (online in its current form since 2002). Typically, the forums become the center of the site, and often the members link to the forums and rarely visit the other pages of the site. SMF is a fine choice for this, as it is easy to apply the security upgrades ... there's a "one click" link in the Admin section to do so. Security upgrades are sometimes very involved, with re-uploading all the files, etc. But in SMF they are a snap.

You can integrate the "look and feel" of a Wordpress installation for the front end so you can easily make the pages devoted to "About Us", a club constitution (if you have one), membership application, etc. (Others will advise you to use Joomla or Drupal, but I find them harder to use.) Wordpress also has a "one click" upgrade feature, so security updates are very easy to apply.

An example of a site using Wordpress and SMF that shares the same "look and feel" is http://byyb.org (a boat building club devoted to a particular designer's boats). All of the pages, except the Forums, are in Wordpress. The Forums have a separate log in, etc., but that's not an issue for the members because they only need access to edit things in the Forums. Its a good solution for the type of thing you are looking at.

Sorry, I got carried away with the club aspect of your new site (I love community sites). In terms of webspace and bandwidth, your needs at the beginning will be very modest. A SMF and Wordpress installation will easily fit into 200MB of disk space and use less than 2 GB of bandwidth until your membership grows very large. The http://byyb.org site I listed in my other message has grown quite a bit over the years, and they have some files archived on their site (the old installations of Drupal and old phpBB forums), and they use 610MB of disk space. They are busy now, and use about 10GB of bandwidth.

You should be able to find a host that will grow with you, with some guarantees on pricing as you grow. Some hosts will allow you to buy disk space and bandwidth a la carte, rather than forcing you into the next higher plan. Look at the pricing for that, as well as what plans they offer if they don't offer a la carte options. If their basic account is adequate now, but the next plan is three or four times as much, and they don't offer an inexpensive upgrade, that's a consideration.

Free trials are nice too, and some hosts will offer free setup, and either a money-back guarantee or a free first month with sign up at the end of the month if you are satisfied.

Okay thanks, I'll scratch off the Coppermine and just stick to a frontpage and the forum, or even maybe just a forum instead. I'll look for something with at least a few hundred mb of space instead of hundreds of gigs.

Okay thanks, I'll scratch off the Coppermine and just stick to a frontpage and the forum, or even maybe just a forum instead. I'll look for something with at least a few hundred mb of space instead of hundreds of gigs.
    That may help you avoid a host that is drastically overselling his servers. Of course, if you find a host with more space than you really need, but the service is good and the server isn't oversold too much, then your "minimum requirements" are not as important. Room to grow isn't a bad thing, but if its at the expense of performance then it is very bad indeed!

There are also some plugins for SMF that provide a "portal" style home page for your site; those may be enough for your needs too.