How many VPS would you fit on this server?

Okay so I want to get this server
    Intel Core i7-920 Quadcore RAM 24 GB
    2 x 1500 GB SATA-II HDD

How many VPS would you be able to fit with openvz (the max that this sever can handle before you notice it getting slow?)

Thanks

It will get I/O bottlenecked very quick with 2 drives. Long before CPU or RAM is exhausted.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

I agree with mitgib that the drives would determine how much VPS you could put there.

Seeing as you seem to have an upper end board, is your chassis not able to accomodate more drives?
    WebSlice - Your BEST CHOICE for NZ web hosting.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting| Virtual Private Servers
    www.webslice.co.nz

I would say 20-50 depending on the size of the containers.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSliceNZChris View Post
    I agree with mitgib that the drives would determine how much VPS you could put there.

Seeing as you seem to have an upper end board, is your chassis not able to accomodate more drives?
    No i could put up to 4 more.

Quote Originally Posted by coderiser View Post
    I would say 20-50 depending on the size of the containers.
    That would be a mistake with the current config.

Quote Originally Posted by vincent91326 View Post
    No i could put up to 4 more.
    Max out the HDD's to increase your disk I/O.
    * GeekStorage.com, LLC - Offering awesome website hosting for over 9 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Pure SSD VPS * Managed Dedicated
    * Powered by Geeks... and SSD's! - You're in good hands, geek hands.
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by vincent91326 View Post
    Okay so I want to get this server
    Intel Core i7-920 Quadcore RAM 24 GB
    2 x 1500 GB SATA-II HDD

How many VPS would you be able to fit with openvz (the max that this sever can handle before you notice it getting slow?)

Thanks
    Go with a 4 Drive setup & RAID 10 and you can fit more, There's no solid answer on what you can put on x server with y specs, Not every container is going to use its resources, And some containers are going to use them. If you want a sure fire way to not get it noticed then don't oversell, But that's just wasteful in my opinion.
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta!!
    〓〓 andrew.moore[at]quadranet.com
    〓〓 http://www.QuadraNet.com

Quote Originally Posted by 123Systems-Andrew View Post
    There's no solid answer on what you can put on x server with y specs,
    I disagree. You can determine an appropriate number of VM's per server based on a) your plan allotments and b) server specifications.

Filling a server to the brim because you can will eventually catch up to you. Sometimes its a lot better to have 2 TB of unallocated hard drive space, because you needed those drives for disk I/O, then to fill it up and not feel wasteful.

The churn you'll generate from poor performance will balance it out in the long run, but then again the negative PR associated with that is even further damaging.

@ OP

I recommend more planning, much more planning. Determine the server hardware that you can afford and how much profit you want to reasonably make from each server. Start from there, that'll be a good foundation to proceed further with your plans.
    * GeekStorage.com, LLC - Offering awesome website hosting for over 9 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Pure SSD VPS * Managed Dedicated
    * Powered by Geeks... and SSD's! - You're in good hands, geek hands.
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

You are using SATA HDD , in which you can only host upto 15 to 20 vps max . I mean cpanel containers . If you upgrade the HDD to SAS 15k , you can go to 40 containers. I/O is the biggest enemy in a vps node.
    24x7 PRO-ACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Now Available The first Support Brand for Startup Hosting Companies

Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Skype us : SyslintSkype | Call us : (+91)6007799

Get a raid card.
    Use raid 10

and you should be set.
    (note you need 4x hdds)
    Jon Fatino
    WireSix - Great Network - Great Servers. Great Deals.
    WireSix - Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix - Clifton - LA

Get 6x HDDs in that box with Raid-10. A VPS node needs harddrive performance. All other concerns are secondary.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Disk I/O issue has been discussed so I'll just say that how many containers a node can handle will vary depending on how they are used. If the customers barely use any resources then you can fit some more but at the same time just one vps can cause you performance issues.

It's very important for you to plan on constantly monitoring and managing your nodes. If you fill them up too much then you won't have any spare overhead in case someone starts pounding the node. It's a good idea to leave a certain percentage 'free' for spikes.

With just 2 HDDs. I can't think of any more than 10 VPS.

Get more HDDs and you probably can maxed it up to 30 VPS or more.

you can easily go above 40..

Quote Originally Posted by Hostoxy View Post
    you can easily go above 40..
    You could, but the performance of the VPS's would be absolutely horrible and you would have no customers.

I agree - hard drives here are a concern. Just two would make it horrible for i/o on the drives which means VPSs would be slow.

You could have the biggest honkin' machine in the world RAM and Proc wise but as soon as the drives slow down...so does everything else.
    ██ KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    ██ Managed and Self Managed Servers | North Carolina, Washington D.C, London and Texas Data Centers
    ██ www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

Quote Originally Posted by BMSmithVB View Post
    I agree - hard drives here are a concern. Just two would make it horrible for i/o on the drives which means VPSs would be slow.

You could have the biggest honkin' machine in the world RAM and Proc wise but as soon as the drives slow down...so does everything else.
    very true try solid state drives its the only way to go

Why limit?

Hello,

I could be missing something on the tech side of the matter (no claims of being an expert), but I am just trying to reason on the original question and would appreciate comments on the following possible answer:

I would say that one can "fit" ALMOST as many VDSs on a given physical server, as one would "fit" of the actual websites on it.

Of course if the only goal is to absolutely make sure that every created VPS is guaranteed to have allocated to it amount of server resources, then yes the limits are low. This would be the situation when both hosting provider and client want to make sure that if one VDS on the server is overloaded and fails, the remaining VDSes would be still operating.

However, what if the main goal is to REALLY "fit" as many VDSes as possible and if the more important goal for offering VPS is to simply provide client with isolated hosting environment? This is very important feature in my opinion, especially with hacking concerns in mind.

What if for every new VPS I simply allocate, say, 90% of the main server resources and then just watch for total server load? Most providers are reasonably "overshooting" with resources allocations to some degree anyway, so why not do it "all the way", knowingly?

Obviously this is by no means to fool the clients, they are to be explained exactly what they are getting.

It seems that such system of VDSes (with nearly full server capacity allocated to each) is comparable to not virtualized server with a bunch of hosted websites, isn't it?

Is such setup technically feasible?
    For me personally, if I am offered a VPS for the price of shared hosting and my VPS would have same parameters as high end dedicated server (alone with the same uptime guarantee as shared hosting would have), I'd definitely go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 123Systems-Andrew View Post
    Go with a 4 Drive setup & RAID 10 and you can fit more, There's no solid answer on what you can put on x server with y specs, Not every container is going to use its resources, And some containers are going to use them. If you want a sure fire way to not get it noticed then don't oversell, But that's just wasteful in my opinion.
    Agreed.

There are simply too many unknown variables for the hard fast answer. If you have small packages, you would be able to fit more per box. If you have larger offerings, less per box.

There are a number of other things as well to consider, but if you set your box up properly, and daily monitor your resources, you should be able to head off any trouble at the pass. There is a balancing act that most intelligent hosting companies follow in regards to resource management while driving new business through the door. Part of that equations is effective policies and monitoring.

i.e. you do not let just anyone come on your network and "pump up the volume" and max out all of your resources on a box for $10.00. If they are LEGAL (i.e. not warez, music or file sharing, etc. = termination) then you simply tell them they have to upgrade to a more appropriate plan (premium VPS). If they do not like it, leave.

You see this a lot with the established web hosting companies, and it is a mistake made by the newborns to try and cater to the abusive clients. More times than not it is just not worth it. So cut your losses and move on with your day.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    Agreed.
    ... you do not let just anyone come on your network and "pump up the volume" and max out all of your resources on a box for $10.00...
    Sounds a bit like bad health insurance approach. You keep everyone healthy on the plan and if one gets sick you "head off" that "trouble".
    Could be that you meant something else by saying the above, but if you originally sold hosting package with defined limits for whatever price, you've got to deliver without asking to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalHosting View Post
    Sounds a bit like bad health insurance approach. You keep everyone healthy on the plan and if one gets sick you "head off" that "trouble".
    Could be that you meant something else by saying the above, but if you originally sold hosting package with defined limits for whatever price, you've got to deliver without asking to upgrade.
    No. I am saying if someone starts maxing out their resources, you recommend them a higher end solution with more resources. I am not talking about "kicking them off" unless there was an abuse issue.

In short: Proactive monitoring and management.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

I don't think that there is any such replacement available to replace proactive monitoring, We have been looking closely at various different applications and so far have found only one that does resource monitoring with alerts.

As said previously however, The Disk I/O is always the #1 Problem on VPS Nodes.