Unmanaged VPS First Step

In getting a new VPS, what should the first step be? I'm planning on using the box to learn a little about using webmin.

So should webmin be installed first? And then everything after that?

Or are there a few things that should be installed prior to installing webmin - e.g. like the LAMP installation?

Thank you.
    Short Hills Design, LLC - Comprehensive Website and Internet Marketing Solutions for Small Businesses and Healthcare Providers
    www.shorthillsdesign.com

Not directly answering your question, but you should spend time on http://library.linode.com/ and http://articles.slicehost.com/ for a lot of good starter and more advanced info.
    What did you expect was going to happen?
    6sync is where I've made my home ): // @tenkay

Installing Webmin first is a good idea, I would immediately install a firewall too. ConfigServer CSF integrates into the Webmin control panel and is widely used.

Change root password, create your user account, install your ssh keys, secure ssh.

Step 2, goto Disneyland
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

you need to setup your nameservers and place any dns settings needed for the domains you wish to use would be the next step

and then review any reporting and security functions webmin has setup to know your operating environment.

Well, the real first question is what do you want to do with the VPS? Since you mentioned LAMP, is this meant to be a regular web server to host websites?

this will be the good reference http://securecentos.com/ for securing your VPS.
    you should do it in first.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Definitely make sure to fully harden and secure your VPS before doing anything else
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

definetely you would need vps provider that can solve every problem that you can casue... and they are so few providers...

Yes. I'll be setting up a web server for testing. Should the domain name be setup to resolve the IP prior to setting up webmin?

And since installing webmin requires apache and mysql, is it ok to set these up via the webmin dependencies, or should apache and mysql be setup first?

thanks.
    Short Hills Design, LLC - Comprehensive Website and Internet Marketing Solutions for Small Businesses and Healthcare Providers
    www.shorthillsdesign.com

webmin will install it own version of apache or even use it own built in webserver software.