CartikaCloud and CartikaVPS - Utility VPS and Cloud Computing Platforms

CartikaCloud and CartikaVPS - Utility VPS and Cloud Computing Platforms

Come see why Cartika was a finalist for the Computerworld "Best practices in Virtualization and Cloud Computing" Award

Trying to Choose between Cloud Computing or Utility VPS? Not sure what the differences are?

No more confusion or mixed marketing messages. With Cartika, you have the choice, and we explain the differences clearly and concisely !!

Cloud Hosting and Servers

www.cartikaCLOUD.com

Unlike many competitors who will sell Utility VPS solutions as a "Cloud", Cartika has differentiated our offerings so as to avoid confusion often found in the market.

The Cartika Cloud separates the networking layer, from the processing layer and the storage layer. You can read more about this here:

http://www.cartikacloud.com/cloud-hosting/

-Backed by powerful and enterprise grade NetApp storage solutions
    -Redundant at every level
    -A Cloud that delivers on the promise of a Cloud.
    -A real High Availability solution for each Cloud Server
    -Complete elasticity for each Cloud instance
    -Full control to re-size Cloud servers with daily utility billing
    -Console access from the Cartika interface
    -Windows and Linux Support
    -Choice of Hosting Control Panels
    -Plenty of free value adds (including CloudLinux, KSplice and soon, Microsoft Forefront real time AV protection and intrusion detection/prevention for Windows)
    -Unlimited R1Soft CDP licenses with a very affordable per GB charge for backup/recovery

Self Managed Solutions:

http://www.cartikacloud.com/self-managed-cloud-servers/

Fully Managed Solutions are also available:

http://www.cartikacloud.com/managed-cloud-servers/

- All of the value found in our Self Managed solutions as well as Cartika full, comprehensive and proactive management services. We feel we offer the most complete managed services in the industry, coupled with the industries best support.

Utility Citrix Xen Based VPS solutions

www.cartikaVPS.com

Local storage Xen server VPS model. This is not a Cloud, this is simply a VPS with utility billing

-Plenty of free value adds (including CloudLinux, KSplice and Microsoft Forefront real time AV protection and intrusion detection/prevention for Windows)
    -Windows and Linux Support
    -Choice of Hosting Control Panels
    -Unlimited R1Soft CDP licenses with a very affordable per GB charge for backup/recovery
    -Unmetered bandwidth and much more...

Self Managed Solutions:

http://www.cartikavps.com/vps-hostin...d-vps-servers/

Fully Managed Solutions are also available:

http://www.cartikavps.com/vps-hostin...d-vps-servers/

- All of the value found in our Self Managed solutions as well as Cartika full, comprehensive and proactive management services. We feel we offer the most complete managed services in the industry, coupled with the industries best support.

cartikaIAAS

www.cartikaIAAS.com

- Private VPS Farms
    - Private Clouds
    - Advanced Clustering across multiple types of infrastructure

Please contact us at sales[at]cartikahosting.com with any questions. Additionally, feel free to call us toll free at 1-866-472-1835
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

How would you compare to offerings like Gigenet?

Quote Originally Posted by albatroz View Post
    How would you compare to offerings like Gigenet?
    Hello and thank you for your inquiry. I "think" this is a better question to ask Gigenet or to ask our mutual sales teams about.

From what I understand, Gigenet is more closely related to our utility VPS offering then to our Cloud offering - or at least their cloud offering is more of a hybrid between our VPS offering and our Cloud offering. This granted involves some assumptions on my part and Gigenet can comment if I am mistaken here. I also believe we have a stronger SAN backend with NetAPP. Having said this, I think Gigenet's portal is pretty nice and is a bit ahead of the portal we currently use (though we are developing a new one which should be in production pretty shortly, and our existing portal has all of the main functionality you would expect ie resize vm's, billing, console access, etc)

What I can confirm is that our Cloud based solution, container moves are seamless. Typically, containers can be moved without a single second outage (ie live migration). Sometimes (usually with Windows based VMs), containers may need a restart to activate on an alternate node (30 seconds to 1 minute required for the restart). I can also say that we have only had one outage on our cloud since launch - and it was brief - 5-20mins... the issue was a bug in xenserver which surfaced when the master node failed. We have since patched our xen to address and resolve this bug. VMs on that node needed to be restarted manually. Other then that, our cloud has had 100% uptime for over a year now.

Not sure this answers your question, but, it is as honest of an answer as I can provide.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Hello,
    I tried Gigenet cloud for a couple of months and one thing I liked from them
    is the fact that you can exchange IPs between VMs, and also the fact that you
    can start with them with a very small budget. This last statement is what makes
    them look like utility computing offerings like the ones from Amazon and MS Azure.

Unfortunately those offerings make difficult to estimate a monthly budget.
    I finally had to leave them because I wanted an Asterisk distro image and they
    didn't offer that, and they still don't offer that.

I see your offer really interesting for someone who has outgrow a VPS
    and wants to include the Cloud brand on his marketing papers without lying.
    Everybody is talking about that these days, but very few offer them really.
    BTW the R1soft backups for free is a nice addon. Is disk space included for
    free too?

A last question, your control panels are unbranded? Are they suitable for
    people trying to resell Cloud solutions?

Helo Albatroz,

I wouldnt say our Cloud is for users that have outgrown VPS solutions. More accurately, I would describe them as the same markets. Our VPS solutions though are priced less expensively as they lack all of the "cloud" types of features found in our cloud solution (ie high availability, container fluidity, etc).. We do charge more for our Cloud vs our VPS because of the advanced architecture on our cloud. Our VPS servers really do match up more properly with most of the "cloud" providers out there. So, we wanted to differentiate between our utility VPS type of offerings and our cloud solutions. Realistically, there is an organic growth path from our shared clustered hosting to VPS or Cloud servers and then to private VPS farms or private Clouds (our shared hosting is a fairly unique model this way)

Regarding R1Soft - yes, we do include licenses for no additional cost. Disk space (15 restore points of all data) is included with all managed solutions (VPS and Cloud). Self managed solutions, CDP disk can be purchased in blocks of 20GB for $6 (so, $0.30/GB)

Lastly, our control panels are unbranded (ie cpanel, directadmin, hsphere, WSP) - so, they are certainly suitable for customers wanting to sell "real" cloud hosting solutions to their clients. Whats also pretty cool is that customers can use hsphere and build clusters, multi platform (windows, linux, BSD, Exchange, Coldfusion, etc), across all sorts of infrastructure (ie some services in the cloud, some on VPS, some of dedicated, some even in shared), and centrally manage this stuff. In the near future, customers will be able to more seamlessly sell actual cloud and VPS instances and we have a real interesting concept in mind - but, more to come on this later.

Hopefully this answers your questions, however, please let me know if you need any additional information

thanks
    Last edited by cartika-andrew; 02-13-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    www.cartika.com

I have a prospect that has 900K unique visits an 6.5MM page views
    Do you think it would justify to have a solution like the one you offer?

I have done some numbers and assuming 15KB per page it would make 90GB
    of traffic per month.

You are right, I have just noticed that your pricing is comparable to Xen VPS plans of the same capacity of the provider I currently work with.

Only that they donīt include neither CloudLinux nor R1Soft, although they provide more bandwidth

About your hosting offers... well, I never get used to HSphere
    from the beginning so I opted to go for Directadmin and then
    for CPanel.

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    Helo Albatroz,

I wouldnt say our Cloud is for users that have outgrown VPS solutions. More accurately, I would describe them as the same markets. Our VPS solutions though are priced less expensively as they lack all of the "cloud" types of features found in our cloud solution (ie high availability, container fluidity, etc).. We do charge more for our Cloud vs our VPS because of the advanced architecture on our cloud. Our VPS servers really do match up more properly with most of the "cloud" providers out there. So, we wanted to differentiate between our utility VPS type of offerings and our cloud solutions. Realistically, there is an organic growth path from our shared clustered hosting to VPS or Cloud servers and then to private VPS farms or private Clouds (our shared hosting is a fairly unique model this way)

Regarding R1Soft - yes, we do include licenses for no additional cost. Disk space (15 restore points of all data) is included with all managed solutions (VPS and Cloud). Self managed solutions, CDP disk can be purchased in blocks of 20GB for $6 (so, $0.30/GB)

Lastly, our control panels are unbranded (ie cpanel, directadmin, hsphere, WSP) - so, they are certainly suitable for customers wanting to sell "real" cloud hosting solutions to their clients. Whats also pretty cool is that customers can use hsphere and build clusters, multi platform (windows, linux, BSD, Exchange, Coldfusion, etc), across all sorts of infrastructure (ie some services in the cloud, some on VPS, some of dedicated, some even in shared), and centrally manage this stuff. In the near future, customers will be able to more seamlessly sell actual cloud and VPS instances and we have a real interesting concept in mind - but, more to come on this later.

Hopefully this answers your questions, however, please let me know if you need any additional information

thanks

How many hours back of storage mean 15 restore points?
    As far as I remember R1soft provides continous backups, what is your experience restoring MySQL databases with R1soft? Good/bad/regular?

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post

BTW dotDefender Application Firewall would be a nice addon

Hello albatroz - I will try to answer and address your comments and questions below:

I have a prospect that has 900K unique visits an 6.5MM page views
    Do you think it would justify to have a solution like the one you offer?

I have done some numbers and assuming 15KB per page it would make 90GB
    of traffic per month.
    for this much traffic, with a decently coded site, a shared account would be fine for you. If you require isolation, then a VPS is a good choice and if you can justify the costs for HA, Fluidity and Elasticity, then a cloud instance would certainly be an option as well...

You are right, I have just noticed that your pricing is comparable to Xen VPS plans of the same capacity of the provider I currently work with.

Only that they donīt include neither CloudLinux nor R1Soft, although they provide more bandwidth

About your hosting offers... well, I never get used to HSphere
    from the beginning so I opted to go for Directadmin and then
    for CPanel.
    hsphere offers some unique advantages that cpanel or directadmin simply cannot offer. having said this, if you go VPS or higher with us, you can choose whichever control panel option you like.

How many hours back of storage mean 15 restore points?
    As far as I remember R1soft provides continous backups, what is your experience restoring MySQL databases with R1soft? Good/bad/regular?
    unfortunately, continuous data protection really doesnt mean "continuous" as you are describing. You can bakcup mysql every minute if you like (which is pretty close), but, there is a resource cost to this. What we offer is 15 restore points. If you would like to do this every minute or every hour or every day, that is entirely up to you. What is common and our default for most customers is 15 daily restore points. Some customers choose 15 daily restore points for web/email data and 15 restore points for mysql every 4 hours. It really is up to you though to choose how you distribute backups and how often.

Re R1Soft it is a nice platform. YOu have access to restore your own databases or files as required. It is reasonably resource efficient (not the best, but, certainly not the worst) and does a good job at mysql hot backups

BTW dotDefender Application Firewall would be a nice addon
    we have Juniper based hardware firewalls in front of our cloud, so every cloud customer is protected at a level higher then something like dotdefender can offer. After that, on windows instances, we offer Microsoft Forefront security, and on Linux VMs we offer a very highly customized software security layer. This secondary layer is meant for instance specific security. Our hardware security layer covers the major concerns. Having said this, we have looked at dotdefender and it is certainly up for consideration for inclusion into our security layer

Hopefully this answers your questions, however, please do let me know if you require any additional information/clarification
    www.cartika.com