hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : HSphere v Directadmin, esp for additional domains

Forum Jump

HSphere v Directadmin, esp for additional domains

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

HSphere v Directadmin, esp for additional domains

CPanel is utter rubbish for additional domains, treating them as add on domains.

Directadmin on the other hand is good as it treats them as proper domains (so you get proper folder structure etc).

What is HSphere like?

Has anyone here used Directadmin & Hsphere. What are your views please.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

H-Sphere treats all domains equally very similar to DirectAdmin.

Old

All this time I thought it was hostgator causing the problem with the add on domains, however, it's cPanel. Thanks. Just have experience with DirectAdmin...stable, fast, secure, simple look with advanced features.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

Hsphere is awesome. I use it and it works very well. Used Cpanel in the past and it is ok, but I think Hsphere is much richer.

Old
WHT Addict

Hsphere is quite similar to Directadmin, but i would go for directadmin if i had the choice. No offence , but cPanel beats them all.

Old
Location = SoapBox

Hsphere handles each DNS zone as a top level domain. Very intelligent control panel. DirectAdmin is nice as well, but, it lacks the clustering that can be found in hsphere. Really depends on what you are after.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

H-sphere is a great control panel. I like their dual platform support and single login for all domains instead of cPanel, which have separate login for each domain. H-sphere seem no more development and the price is more expensive compare to cPanel.

[Guarantees: 24/7 Helpdesk Support | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 30 Days Money Back Guarantee]

Old
Location = SoapBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaokhee View Post
. H-sphere seem no more development
to be fair, and even though I am not thrilled with parallels (who is though) - they released v3.4 of hsphere in Oct 2010. They dont develop nearly quickly enough, and we have had to take on some hsphere development ourselves to keep up with things, but, it is certainly still being developed by parallels. I think, like everything else parallels does - they are slow and inefficient.

Quote:
and the price is more expensive compare to cPanel.
I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. 1 account in hsphere can be comprised 1-5 or more servers/VMs/Cloud Servers/etc.. and you are just paying for 1 account license. Whereas cPanel is licensed per server and is not overly intelligent to cluster across multiple services, etc.. so, sometimes cpanel licensing works out to be less expensive and sometimes hsphere licensing works out to be less expensive. Just depends on what you are trying to do. End of the day though, over a fleet of servers, there is no difference in actual license fees. Though, using hsphere, you will realize a total cost of ownership savings over single server platforms like cpanel and directadmin. We use all 3 control panels (as well as websitepanel) - and they all have their respective benefits, features, etc.. again, it really comes down to what people need and why - and based on their requirements, they can make a respective control panel decision.

Old
Disabled

btw it dont make subdomain as addon, how can you say that?

Old
Rockin' the beer gut

DirectAdmin rules. I never could get used to hsphere's interface. DA is clean, and handles addon domains very well.

Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
to be fair, and even though I am not thrilled with parallels (who is though) - they released v3.4 of hsphere in Oct 2010. They dont develop nearly quickly enough, and we have had to take on some hsphere development ourselves to keep up with things, but, it is certainly still being developed by parallels. I think, like everything else parallels does - they are slow and inefficient.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. 1 account in hsphere can be comprised 1-5 or more servers/VMs/Cloud Servers/etc.. and you are just paying for 1 account license. Whereas cPanel is licensed per server and is not overly intelligent to cluster across multiple services, etc.. so, sometimes cpanel licensing works out to be less expensive and sometimes hsphere licensing works out to be less expensive. Just depends on what you are trying to do. End of the day though, over a fleet of servers, there is no difference in actual license fees. Though, using hsphere, you will realize a total cost of ownership savings over single server platforms like cpanel and directadmin. We use all 3 control panels (as well as websitepanel) - and they all have their respective benefits, features, etc.. again, it really comes down to what people need and why - and based on their requirements, they can make a respective control panel decision.
It is costly from end user point of view. There are less providers who provide hosting with H-Sphere control panel and normally it cost more compare to cPanel. But I really like how they organize thing in control panel compare to cPanel.

[Guarantees: 24/7 Helpdesk Support | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 30 Days Money Back Guarantee]

Old

Parallels Plesk seems to be a clone of HSphere. Is that right?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlookemail View Post
Plesk is far from H-Sphere. And I would avoid Plesk, from provider and end-user point of view.

Equinix Secaucus NY2 and NY4 (NYC Metro)

Old
Temporarily Suspended

+1 for me. I tried H-Sphere before, and lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
DirectAdmin rules. I never could get used to hsphere's interface. DA is clean, and handles addon domains very well.

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlookemail View Post
The biggest difference between Plesk and H-Sphere (there are many, but the biggest) is architecturally. H-Sphere is a multi-server control panel, meaning that there is a single "master" control panel (GUI) to which admins/users log into, but the services they are running reside on several servers which are usually dedicated to a particular purpose (i.e. there would be logical servers dedicated to web hosting, some to mail hosting, etc.). While Plesk is a single-server control panel: it is designed to only control one server and all controlled/provisioned services are run on that server.