What are some strategies for local marketing

With the start of my business coming closer by the day, I have been spending most of my spare time thinking about ways to advertise locally.

I have already purchased custom banners, yard signs, brochures, and window decals, but I would like to do more to get the word out. I thought about having an event at my local community center, where I would set up booths and hand out fliers. Food and beverages would be served for everyone, and I would have the chance to discuss my business and hopefully gain a few sign ups while there.

What are some techniques used in local marketing, other than newspaper/tv advertising and word of mouth?

Participation and networking.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Ofcourse its good communication around your friends circle, even with those who are signing up with you newly.
    Where there is a will, there is a Linux Distribution...

Networking, participation, local mailings, hand out flyers at walmart on weekends, go door to door -- read Guerrilla Marketing for some great ideas on cheap ways to advertise!
    Sasquatch Hosting, Inc
    Check out our new look and packages!!

White Hot Arcade
    Stop and play some fun arcade games for when its time to relax!

flyers and sponsorship for events would help.

Making what you advertise relevant to the target audience is a large concern that you might want to put some thought into. Where is your local town? Is there a common sentiment you can appeal to? Is it savvy to your product (pronounce your advanced details), or is it not (stress ease of use/accessibility).

Marketing is whole kettle of fish that I could lose my fingers over just typing out a fraction of what you might want to take into account. Much of it is intuition and local studies of target groups - much of it is learned features. Perhaps snagging a quick 2-year in marketing could help you, especially after launch when spreading the word becomes even more imperative (swim or sink). http://www.marketingdegree.net/ shows some options that you have; on-line or on-campus.

Use social media actively. Make sure your hosting site can be easily 'shared' by satisfied customers.
    Pulse Media Hosting Is One Year Old! - Reseller Promo NOW ON!
    █ • 24x7 Ticket Support • Reseller Coupon: Resell2011
    Look Me Up - KaiOur Uptime
    █ • We R The HeartBeat That Keeps Your Sites Online

It is a very food idea to organize and promote an event in your local community center.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone