Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Co-location in USA and EU, full rack

Hello!

I have about 30 clients that I host for at the moment, and I am going to start a small hosting company to handle my clients since I will probably get more clients the following months.

I need co-location in both USA (I'm moving to Florida soon, so somewhere close is always a plus) and EU, with great full-rack offers (40+ U). I will need to offer all my clients 100Mbps and around 1-2TB transfer each. I guess having my own little data center is not an option?

Thanks in advance, I'd appreciate any replies!

Depends on the total number of racks you need.

Probably not viable to have your own datacenter for such a small footprint.
    If you have the $ to blow, you can start with your own full rack in each location, but expect to spend minimum ~$800 just for the rack, and extra for the bandwidth.

You don't need to get the same amount of bandwidth under contract, as you offer to your clients, as your usage will probably not be the same amount as you offer them.
    So with bandwidth, etc I would estimate $1000/month per location as a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by cresci View Post
    Depends on the total number of racks you need.
    As it looks now I will need one full rack (40-46~ units) per location, but it might increase in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    If you have the $ to blow, you can start with your own full rack in each location, but expect to spend minimum ~$800 just for the rack, and extra for the bandwidth.

You don't need to get the same amount of bandwidth under contract, as you offer to your clients, as your usage will probably not be the same amount as you offer them.
    So with bandwidth, etc I would estimate $1000/month per location as a starting point.
    Oh alright, $1000/month is no problem, you sure that price is enough for the rack, bandwidth, speed, power and IPs?

Just an estimate ... how much bandwidth? How many IPs?
    $800 is enough for rack and 20A, normally, but its just estimate. Can be $800-$1000.
    I added ~$200 for bandwidth.

You will most likely not use all the space in the rack, your limit will be power usage...
    If you want to fill up as much as possible, you need to add second circuit so at least 40A per rack, and you are looking at estimate around $1100-$1200 per rack, more if you are doing higher power (60A, etc if its allowed)

You need to get your specific exact requirements and then contact some providers in the locations you are interested.

Just an estimate ... how much bandwidth? How many IPs?
    $800 is enough for rack and 20A, normally, but its just estimate. Can be $800-$1000.
    I added ~$200 for bandwidth.

You will most likely not use all the space in the rack, your limit will be power usage...
    If you want to fill up as much as possible, you need to add second circuit so at least 40A per rack, and you are looking at estimate around $1100-$1200 per rack, more if you are doing higher power (60A, etc if its allowed)

You need to get your specific exact requirements and then contact some providers in the locations you are interested.
    Thanks for your reply.

I will need one IP per server. And each client will have a 2TB transfer limit, however they will probably not use all, maybe 1TB in average max? Not sure I haven't controlled this before.

How can I calculate how much power I need? Have never need to worried about this before hehe. Well I dont have to fill the whole rack, it depends on the price. If it's cheaper to have 30 servers in each rack then of course I'll do that.

Yeah thanks for your heads up I will look more into power, bandwidth etc.

Haven't really decided exactly which servers to buy, but it will be with following specs:

1x Intel Xeon 3430 2.4 GHz
    2x 250GB SATAII HDD
    2-12GB DDR3 RAM, most of them 4GB

Currently looking on http://www.twp.nl/index.php?task=10&...WPSS1271333614 and some Dell rack servers.

These specs will use 1A each. A 20A circuit will allow you to have 15-16 of them. Two 20A circuits, 32 of them (30 if you count for switching, KVM and other gear).

Also, you can expect these specs to cost around $750-1000 (for the extra RAM) each unit, if using a Supermicro server with remote KVM capability.

I would agree with this 100%.

Unless you've already got customers in both locations, I would focus on just one location for now, because you would be looking at combined costs of around $2k / mo at each location to start out.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by cresci View Post
    These specs will use 1A each. A 20A circuit will allow you to have 15-16 of them. Two 20A circuits, 32 of them (30 if you count for switching, KVM and other gear).
    this is spot on as well. We see the same thing using similar specs in our racks.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Unless you've already got customers in both locations, I would focus on just one location for now, because you would be looking at combined costs of around $2k / mo at each location to start out.
    Even if he only has a decent amount of customers, it would be better to get the full rack + a decent amount of power/bandwidth.

He can get more power/bandwidth later as required, but can say *today* to his customers that they can have their preferred location.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Even if he only has a decent amount of customers, it would be better to get the full rack + a decent amount of power/bandwidth.

He can get more power/bandwidth later as required, but can say *today* to his customers that they can have their preferred location.
    You'd think so, but it really complicates your operations. I've found it really hard to get good pricing on colo bandwidth without a pretty sizable commitment. And similarly, the cost of smaller amounts of rackspace tends to be a lot higher per server than when you get up to a full rack. So your first major problem is, that if you don't have enough volume, you either have to pay for something you're not using (not trivial when that outlay is $2k *minimum*), or you have to raise your prices.

Secondly, many customers you bring on are looking to do business with *you* first, and looking to do business in *your location* second. Being in one location vs both locations is not going to double your sales or lead conversions. I ended up pulling out of the UK because I could no longer justify the added expenses of being there for just a couple customers. By having just one location to worry about, it greatly simplifies a lot of areas that you wouldn't think would take up a lot of time and add a lot of costs, but do. I don't have to worry about customs and taxes in multiple locations, I don't have to worry as much about what time zone the datacenter employees (sales / billing / etc) are working on, how I'm going to handle getting my servers built / repaired, having spare parts and inventory at two locations, and all of that. On top of it, you need to work out your pricing and business model at two locations. Since the company you are dealing with at Colo A might be charging different amounts for power, rackspace, bandwidth, remote hands, and so on than Colo B, it's hard to have a consistent set of prices and offerings at both locations. Without similar offerings at both locations, it can easily muddle your business model and not make it clear to your customers who exactly you're trying to target.

For all these reasons, I feel really good about my decision to focus on just one location. When you try to be everything to everyone, you can end up really being nothing to nobody. Better to focus on one location, get that really solid, and then only expand to new locations if there is a large pent up demand coming from your customers. Even softlayer only has 3 locations, all in the US, and it's pretty obvious their Dallas location is the largest and most important to them. How long did it take them to even open up a second or third location? How many thousands of servers did they have in Dallas before they opened another location?

Hi everyone and thank you very your replies.

@funkywizard
    Alright thanks a lot of your useful hints. I have decided to focus on just one location first. I can take all my present costumers to one location that is no problem. Then I will look for more customers in the continent that I will start in. Which would be best? Where is the lowest co-location prices and highest demand on dedicated servers?

Check www.netrouting.nl , they have colo space in Netherlands and an USA location too.

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    Check www.netrouting.nl , they have colo space in Netherlands and an USA location too.
    I can find USA servers but not colo?

There are a lot of great colo sites out there but prices can vary wildly depending on the location and demand in that area. It wouldn't hurt to check the Colo Ads section of WebHostingTalk.
    Isaac Helgens
    US Secure Hosting Center - USSHC
    http://www.USSHC.com
    USSHC - EMP shielded underground nuclear bunker.

Miami Colo

Terremark (NAP of the Americas) is the flagship data center in Miami, however they recently just had a price increase. I would suggest looking into telx, QTS, or Coresite as they have better prices and solid facilities. They also have fiber to the NAP should you need to pick up a particular carrier / ISP.

I just found one of the colocation referral sites and got four quotes in about an hour. Have already chosen my company and we are going on a tour tomorrow. Can't wait to get everything into place!

Nice! Mind sharing which company and price? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by tier2 View Post
    I just found one of the colocation referral sites and got four quotes in about an hour. Have already chosen my company and we are going on a tour tomorrow. Can't wait to get everything into place!
    In which location are you talking about though?

I specifically wanted a company in Downtown Houston. I had servers in XO at 1301 Fannin during Ike and we experienced 0% downtime during the storm. Even though my house was without power for over 3 weeks. (The one time it sucked to live inside the city proper since they turned power on from the outlying areas to the inner city)

The data center we are touring tomorrow is the Quasar datacenter in downtown Houston. They are not in 1301 Fannin, but they are close by and they also did not experience any downtime during Ike either.

The quote with a full rack, 10mb of burstable bandwidth on a 100mb port and a 20 amp circuit was about $1100 per month or so. I don't remember the exact dollar amount, but it seemed reasonable all the way around. Based on the other quotes it was about $1000 cheaper than the competition. I am needing to find out how much a second 20amp circuit is going to cost because we will be putting about 30 servers in there to start with right now.

If you guys are interested I will be glad to fill in more details after our tour tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ejxt View Post
    Hi everyone and thank you very your replies.

@funkywizard
    Alright thanks a lot of your useful hints. I have decided to focus on just one location first. I can take all my present costumers to one location that is no problem. Then I will look for more customers in the continent that I will start in. Which would be best? Where is the lowest co-location prices and highest demand on dedicated servers?
    As to which is cheapest / highest demand, that's the million dollar question I suppose.

Generally, US colocation is cheaper than European colocation due to prices of power and labor. It would be worth looking at any of the top tier markets in the US if you're wanting to lower costs and maximize general interest:

Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Ashburn, New York, are the major interconnection points in the US. In these locations, there is the most competition among bandwidth providers, and you'll also see the best routing from these locations since so many networks interconnect there. Some of these locations may be more expensive for rackspace and power due to the higher costs of operating in major cities.

You can also get some good deals on power / rackspace in second tier markets like Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and probably a dozen other places I'm forgetting about, but generally your bandwidth options will be more limited, and sometimes (but not always) more expensive. Usually you would pick a second tier market either for cost reasons, or if you wanted to differentiate your services, as some customers may prefer a location closer to them, or for some other reason require or prefer a different location than the major metro areas. If you are marketing mostly in person, to people in the local community, it can be a competitive advantage to have your servers either in the same city, or in the closest nearby major metro area. If you are marketing mostly to the greater population, then cost and performance are going to be more important factors for maximizing the demand for your product.

Bandwidth prices vary wildly from location to location and deal to deal, so it's hard to say if Europe or the US would be cheaper for that. Europe relies pretty heavily on peering, so if you're large enough to be at the major peering exchanges, and push a lot of traffic there, bandwidth can be cheaper in Europe. Or it can be more expensive, if you're a small player and you can't manage to negotiate a favorable deal from your providers.

Always take into account cross connect and backhaul costs. Buying bandwidth from a large datacenter, these backhaul and cross connect charges can be amortized over the large amount of bandwidth used by the facility, but whether or not they pass those savings on to you is up to negotiation and market forces. If you know you want to do business with a particular carrier or provider, you will have to factor in the costs of getting to that provider from a particular datacenter you're looking at. Most of the time, carriers are present in datacenters known as carrier hotels, which charge a lot of money for rackspace, power, and cross connects. Because the carriers are all located there, that means you either have to pay a lot of money for rackspace in one of these facilities (to reduce backhaul costs), or you have to get transport into one of these facilities from a cheaper nearby datacenter. A few reasonably priced datacenters will have some carriers on-net in the facility themselves, which will help you save on these backhaul costs, and, depending on the facility, you may also be able to save on cross connect fees if the carrier you want is on-net in your facility. These are all questions you need to ask before you'll have a complete picture of the costs of doing business with a colocation provider.

Hope this long winded answer is helpful to you.

I specifically wanted a company in Downtown Houston. I had servers in XO at 1301 Fannin during Ike and we experienced 0% downtime during the storm. Even though my house was without power for over 3 weeks. (The one time it sucked to live inside the city proper since they turned power on from the outlying areas to the inner city)

The data center we are touring tomorrow is the Quasar datacenter in downtown Houston. They are not in 1301 Fannin, but they are close by and they also did not experience any downtime during Ike either.

The quote with a full rack, 10mb of burstable bandwidth on a 100mb port and a 20 amp circuit was about $1100 per month or so. I don't remember the exact dollar amount, but it seemed reasonable all the way around. Based on the other quotes it was about $1000 cheaper than the competition. I am needing to find out how much a second 20amp circuit is going to cost because we will be putting about 30 servers in there to start with right now.

If you guys are interested I will be glad to fill in more details after our tour tomorrow.
    I'm always interested to hear more about datacenters. It drives my girlfriend nuts that whenever I visit a new city I want to go on a datacenter tour

I would keep an eye out on the cost to get extra bandwidth. The quote you've got seems pretty good, but the bandwidth you've got there is not a lot. If you're expecting growth, then the cost of bandwidth could be a major factor going forward, so I would ask how much it would cost to get 100 megabit 95th, or 300 megabit 95th in the future. The last thing you want is to be locked into a location, with dozens of servers there, where you can't afford the bandwidth to do much of anything with those servers. If you're intended to continue using about the same amount of bandwidth you're using now, then feel free to ignore this advice

@funkywizard Thanks for the advice. I have that down as a question to ask tomorrow. They host Verio's POP in Houston, so I am assuming that gives them a little bit of wiggle room when it comes to charges for bandwidth.

@funkywizard

Thanks a lot for your hints, I appreciate you take your time to help me/us.

I just noticed that I will have big problems with visas etc and to move to USA and manage my company from there. I actually didn't know that it was such huge requirements, guess it changed a lot after 9/11. So I don't really know what to do anymore. I need to access the co-location pretty often to install new servers etc.

@funkywizard

Thanks a lot for your hints, I appreciate you take your time to help me/us.

I just noticed that I will have big problems with visas etc and to move to USA and manage my company from there. I actually didn't know that it was such huge requirements, guess it changed a lot after 9/11. So I don't really know what to do anymore. I need to access the co-location pretty often to install new servers etc.
    No problem, glad to be helpful. Definitely jurisdictional issues are a good reason to pick one location over another. If you're in the EU or Canada, not only will it be easier to work on your servers from where you're at, but it will be easier to navigate the legal and tax landscape, deal with banks and suppliers, customs, imports, etc. On top of it, if you do business in the same country you live in, you'll have a better feel for the local culture, which can be a big deal.

In the UK, for example, people tend to want low priced, pay as you go, metered kinds of services, whereas in the US, people tend to like unmetered, use as much as you want, slightly more expensive plans that are cheaper per X if you use as much as you're allowed but are more expensive per X if you don't end up using much. It's a cultural thing really. So the kinds of plans / offerings you're considering, you'll probably have a better feel for what's going to work if you offer it in your local country.

Also, just picking the right words to express something can add credibility. If I were to write up ad copy for the UK, I can guarantee people there would wonder what is wrong with me, and it would be harder for my business to be credible. The same would be true of a UK company writing ad copy for the US market.

Finally, if you are interested in colocating in the US, I would suggest partnering with someone who can do the hands on stuff for you. Datacenters will often do racking / equipment setup, sometimes for quite reasonable prices. There's also plenty of people out of work who can do this kind of thing for you for a reasonable price as well. If you really get rolling on your business, the last thing you're going to want to do is spend all day racking and fixing servers; you just won't have time. You'd be better off having someone else handle that, and you do the work of marketing yourself, maybe providing customer support, that kind of thing. Being the face of your business and drumming up customers will take up enough time without having to work on the guts and bolts of the boxes.

If you're in Canada, there are some threads around here saying that 151 front st in Toronto has some really good prices on bandwidth these days, so you might add that to my list of major metro areas in north america.

Yes what you say is very true.

However, I live in Sweden and there is no market here at all, so I will move anyways. Moving will not be a problem since me and my two partners would love getting away from this country, but I can't stand the thought of living in Germany or Netherlands -.-

I have an offshore company which I can work with from any country in the world (except the country that it's registered in of course). Canada would good but it's too north for me, I have the majority of my customers in Brazil and they'd prefer a server location in south USA, like Miami or Dallas.

Another thing I've noticed is that if I compare co-location prices, dedicated servers and the normal price of renting out dedicated servers, it looks like I will make a lot more profit in the US than in the EU?

Yes what you say is very true.

However, I live in Sweden and there is no market here at all, so I will move anyways. Moving will not be a problem since me and my two partners would love getting away from this country, but I can't stand the thought of living in Germany or Netherlands -.-

I have an offshore company which I can work with from any country in the world (except the country that it's registered in of course). Canada would good but it's too north for me, I have the majority of my customers in Brazil and they'd prefer a server location in south USA, like Miami or Dallas.

Another thing I've noticed is that if I compare co-location prices, dedicated servers and the normal price of renting out dedicated servers, it looks like I will make a lot more profit in the US than in the EU?
    Ah, ok, that makes sense. Sweden definitely isn't considered a major internet hub in the EU. The usual suspects are UK / NL / DE, and you've said you're not interested in 2 of the 3.

If your users are in South America, definitely Miami is a good way to go. As people have said in some threads on here, there don't seem to be a huge number of reasonably priced providers in the area, although it is a major peering and interconnection point for South American ISPs. So that could be a good market if you can find a good datacenter to colocate with, who has good connections to a variety of carriers / peering relationships that have good connections to South America.

As far as it goes, the US is pretty strict about both immigrations and working on your own business inside the country. From all the horror stories I've read, it seems like the only reasonable options are to pay someone who lives in the US to handle things for you, or to lie and say you're just there to be visiting. There's a lot of horror / sob stories about people investing to start a business in the US, jumping through lots of hoops and red tape, and at the end of the day, the US shuts down their business / kicks them out of the country for totally arbitrary reasons. On the other hand, it seems like unemployed illegal immigrants are allowed to stay as long as they want. Mind you, I have nothing against immigration, don't want this post to sound like that, my problem is with the backwards policies of the US in these regards, which discourages people investing / starting business and being honest about it. It seems like the only real way to start a business in the US as a foreign citizen, if you intend to work on the business in person, in the US, is to do so fraudulently.

Luckily, I don't think that being personally present on a day to day basis at the datacenter is a real requirement for running this kind of business. You'll want to take tours of the datacenters you're considering, potentially interview the people who will be helping you with remote hands and so on, and that sort of thing, but those activities you can easily enough do while pretending to be visiting the country on vacation for a short time. As long as you don't need to be in the country more than 6 months out of the year, there's no good reason to actually admit you're here to do business.

@ejxt: I would seriously consider Houston. Dallas is pretty expensive city to live in, but it is very nice really. However, Houston is cheap for almost everything and has a good economy still compared to most other cities in the nation.

Feel free to hit me up in a PM if you want more information. I work for an immigration attorney as well.
    Last edited by tier2; 01-11-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added a personal comment

@ejxt: I would seriously consider Houston. Dallas is pretty expensive city to live in, but it is very nice really. However, Houston is cheap for almost everything and has a good economy still compared to most other cities in the nation.
    How does Houston compare for hosting though? I was under the impression that there is a lot more connectivity, and more competition / better deals on hosting, in the Dallas area. Of course you could live in one city and colocate servers in the other if you wanted to.

I think Houston has great data centers. Keep in mind that the backbone used to be hosted at Rice University here in Houston so there is still plenty of infrastructure left in Houston. Plus we have not only the Federal Reserve Bank here in Houston, but we also have a majority of the headquarters for the major oil and gas companies in Houston. Shell, Exxon etc. You see the quote I received for a decent datacenter. I know that internap charges about $1500 for a full rack with 10mb bandwidth (even though it appears as if their network has gone south quite a bit). Dallas is a 4 hour drive from downtown Houston to downtown Dallas basically. So it wouldn't really be good for commute in emergencies. Although it is only a 45 minute plane ride and flights leave every 30 minutes. The airfare is about $150 with immediate purchase (not the 1 week in advance for the discount).

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Ah, ok, that makes sense. Sweden definitely isn't considered a major internet hub in the EU. The usual suspects are UK / NL / DE, and you've said you're not interested in 2 of the 3.

If your users are in South America, definitely Miami is a good way to go. As people have said in some threads on here, there don't seem to be a huge number of reasonably priced providers in the area, although it is a major peering and interconnection point for South American ISPs. So that could be a good market if you can find a good datacenter to colocate with, who has good connections to a variety of carriers / peering relationships that have good connections to South America.

As far as it goes, the US is pretty strict about both immigrations and working on your own business inside the country. From all the horror stories I've read, it seems like the only reasonable options are to pay someone who lives in the US to handle things for you, or to lie and say you're just there to be visiting. There's a lot of horror / sob stories about people investing to start a business in the US, jumping through lots of hoops and red tape, and at the end of the day, the US shuts down their business / kicks them out of the country for totally arbitrary reasons. On the other hand, it seems like unemployed illegal immigrants are allowed to stay as long as they want. Mind you, I have nothing against immigration, don't want this post to sound like that, my problem is with the backwards policies of the US in these regards, which discourages people investing / starting business and being honest about it. It seems like the only real way to start a business in the US as a foreign citizen, if you intend to work on the business in person, in the US, is to do so fraudulently.

Luckily, I don't think that being personally present on a day to day basis at the datacenter is a real requirement for running this kind of business. You'll want to take tours of the datacenters you're considering, potentially interview the people who will be helping you with remote hands and so on, and that sort of thing, but those activities you can easily enough do while pretending to be visiting the country on vacation for a short time. As long as you don't need to be in the country more than 6 months out of the year, there's no good reason to actually admit you're here to do business.

Oh yeah I see... Well I can be in USA under the visa waiver program for 3 months, if I have a return flight booked. The thing is that I want the possibility to anytime I want to travel to the data center, and I also want to move due to personal matters, not just for the business. What about living in south America or Caribbean? A flight from there to Florida, Texas etc isn't that expensive. But then again, it's still not optimal. One way is to get a job in USA, then it will be much easier to get a visa. But then I'd need like a partner to employ me or something ^^

Oh yeah I see... Well I can be in USA under the visa waiver program for 3 months, if I have a return flight booked. The thing is that I want the possibility to anytime I want to travel to the data center, and I also want to move due to personal matters, not just for the business. What about living in south America or Caribbean? A flight from there to Florida, Texas etc isn't that expensive. But then again, it's still not optimal. One way is to get a job in USA, then it will be much easier to get a visa. But then I'd need like a partner to employ me or something ^^
    If you're wanting to jump through the hoops to get a green card / visa for employment, you can always have a partner set up a business (really owned by you), which offers to give yourself employment. I believe there are some requirements where you have to prove why you couldn't just hire someone who is in the US already, so it may not be worth the effort.

I recently came back from a cruise in the Caribbean, and I must say Belize is wonderful. It's very beautiful, it's an english speaking country, population around 250k so it has some things going on but isn't too crowded, etc. And seems to have reasonable infrastructure from what I could tell (electricity, internet), and of course, seems to be a pretty affordable place to live which is close by to Florida. If you're considering living in the Caribbean, I would check it out.

If you can partner with a datacenter that is staffed 24/7, has techs that you can trust, and offers remote hands at a price you can afford, there's really no reason to be at the datacenter on a regular basis. If the datacenter charges too much for hands, you could hire someone on an on-call basis at a lower rate, and then use the datacenter for emergencies for when your technician can't come in at a reasonable time frame. Unless you're living at the datacenter, that will provide roughly the same level of service you could get if you personally were working on the servers.

Maybe if you want to do a network upgrade, or help out setting up some new racks, or just check in from time to time, I could see wanting to be reasonably close by for that. But if you really can't find anyone you can trust to work on your servers for you on a day to day basis, it's going to make your life a lot more difficult than it otherwise would be, and make it very difficult to run your business.

In terms of "checking in from time to time", it should be reasonably easy to say that you're visiting the US for fun or to visit family or whatever, pretty much whenever you want, I would think. Not sure how the US relationship is with Sweden, but friends from the UK and Canada basically have had no issues with this.

This past week I've been lurking in the forums trying to decide on which host I'd like to colo several servers in a 1/4 cabinet. I live near Houston and would prefer something I can take a quick jaunt in my jalopy to in case there is an issue and I can deal with it in person.

Quasar Data (used to be Lakota Data and before that it was Zogmo) is one whose quote was definitely in the promising category. I too was also told they were a pop for NTT/Verio. I think Cogent is their other main provider. I am going to try and tour their facility tomorrow if I can find the time. Will probably be stopping by Internap's dc at 1301 Fannin and a Level3 dc further north outside of downtown.

All in all the rates in Houston are a bit higher compared to Dallas. I've been running traceroutes and pings from various connections in this region (Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, etc.) over the past week and it looks as though most of the traffic goes to Dallas before even reaching the Houston DC's despite the fact that I live in Houston. Ping times are essentially the same only 1-2ms difference. However, Dallas is a five hour drive from my front door. One of the joys living in a state bigger than most nations

I know that level 3 got hit pretty hard during Ike. That and while I was there they tripled their price. That is why I moved into XO at 1301 Fannin at the time. This was several years ago of course. MCI has a datacenter that is on the Beltway near the level 3 facility there and I don't think they went down. I have been in that datacenter before and it is nice, but at the time it was pretty empty. I don't know anything about their fee structure, but the guy who was renting the space at the time told me it was pretty cheap.

For some reason I have never gotten a quote from them nor have I been able to locate any information on how to get a quote from them.

Well I just got back from my tour of Quasar Data Center and for the price of the service I was pretty impressed. There is not a ton of extra fluff services that you have to pay for so that is always a plus. They are in the process of integrating UberSmith into their datacenter so that is an added benefit.

The bandwidth pricing was still right on target. Here are the prices I got for upgrading our bandwidth:

30 megs @ $395.95 /mo
    50 megs @ $625.95 /mo
    100 megs @ $1100 /mo
    300 megs @ 2400 /mo

Those are prices with a 1 year commitment. A 3 year commitment will reduce the prices.

If anyone has any specific questions I will be glad to answer them for you.

I don't think I've seen what the extra power would cost?
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting, Hundreds of Servers & Clients Worldwide
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers | Blog

Well I just got back from my tour of Quasar Data Center and for the price of the service I was pretty impressed. There is not a ton of extra fluff services that you have to pay for so that is always a plus. They are in the process of integrating UberSmith into their datacenter so that is an added benefit.

The bandwidth pricing was still right on target. Here are the prices I got for upgrading our bandwidth:

30 megs @ $395.95 /mo
    50 megs @ $625.95 /mo
    100 megs @ $1100 /mo
    300 megs @ 2400 /mo

Those are prices with a 1 year commitment. A 3 year commitment will reduce the prices.

If anyone has any specific questions I will be glad to answer them for you.
    What kind of carriers are you getting with that kind of pricing? It looks like at least double the rates I had been quoted at a number of facilities whose prices were themselves not what I would have considered rock bottom either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast