IOFLOOD.com -- Unmetered Quad Core X3460, 8gb ram, 4x500gb drives from $149 / mo

Hi Everyone!

IOFLOOD.com is currently running a special on a limited supply of Unmetered Xeon Quad Core Servers:

Xeon X3460 (2.8ghz, Quad Core with hyperthreading and turbo boost)
    8GB DDR3 ram
    4x500gb Western Digital Hard Drives (software raid available)
    Supermicro motherboard and chassis

Unmetered bandwidth:

10 mbps: $149 / mo
    100 mbps: $229 / mo

Servers are semi-managed, meaning we'll help with a wide variety of problems you might have that an unmanaged host wouldn't help you with (such as server migrations, performance optimization, troubleshooting and so on), on a best-effort basis.

We have 1 server available for immediate setup, with up to 3 more servers of these specs available in the next 7-10 days. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Test IP: 184.105.134.14
    Test URL: http://www.ioflood.com/100mbtest.bin
    Terms of Service: http://ioflood.com/terms.php
    FAQ: http://ioflood.com/faq.php

Servers are located in the state of the art PhoenixNap facility in Phoenix, AZ.

To order or ask us any questions, please email (support [at] ioflood.com)

or contact me directly:

Gabriel Ramuglia
    email: gabe [at] ioflood.com
    phone: 702-482-8064

--

We also have other servers and VPS's available, see our previous sales threads (search for IOFLOOD). If you need anything custom, we'd be happy to quote you for it!
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Is this good for minecraft?

It would certainly work well for minecraft so long as the ping times to the server for your players is good. You can test this by pinging the test ip in the original post.

We have some customers running minecraft without issues on our vps servers, which would make more sense if you only need to host one game at a time. You would only see a benefit from a quad core server if you are hosting multiple games at once, since minecraft is a single threaded application.

If you are going to run lots of games at once, your main bottleneck would be ram. We would gladly remove 2 of the 4 hard drives and instead add an extra 8gb ram for the same price.

If there are any other questions, I would be glad to help.

Thanks.

I really wish they would optimize the code more on minecraft. I hear it kicks the crap out of a lot of servers. Might be a java issue though...
    Last edited by ninkynonk; 01-09-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Yeah that's what I hear about minecraft. Mostly it seems to use a lot of ram, especially if someone builds a crazy pyramid or something in-game. Java memory management is partly to blame but also minecraft is just buggy.

Minecraft client also has issues. It uses a gig of RAM on my system and it crashes a lot. Not much we can do besides rely on Notch and the small team they have..... I believe they are supposed to have an update for minecraft soon.... Hopeing that fixes server issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ninkynonk View Post
    Minecraft client also has issues. It uses a gig of RAM on my system and it crashes a lot. Not much we can do besides rely on Notch and the small team they have..... I believe they are supposed to have an update for minecraft soon.... Hopeing that fixes server issues as well.
    Ah yeah. Im just surprised how popular the game has become all of a sudden.

It's very fun! I love it. needs work on the technical end, but shows a lot of promise! We need more games like minecraft!