hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Recommendation for eastern US Xen/KVM VPS provider?

Forum Jump

Recommendation for eastern US Xen/KVM VPS provider?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Recommendation for eastern US Xen/KVM VPS provider?

I'm currently looking for a VPS provider located in the eastern United States to host a community Minecraft server, Mumble server as well as some websites.

I am happy with my current provider (Arpnetworks) but they are located in California and a large number of our users are in Europe so the latency is a problem.

Currently my specs are: 1512MB RAM, 40 GB disk, 400 GB bandwidth, and 5 IPs for ~$45/month running KVM/QEMU virtualization and I am looking for a similar plan on the new provider for around the same price. I also need to be able to load kernel modules for VPN, firewall, FUSE, etc and to upgrade the RAM if needed.

Minecraft is very CPU and I/O instensive so the VPS will need to be able to handle it.

Also, I'm looking for recommendation from people that have actually used the company before and not just "I heard they were good."

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

6sync offers KVM servers out of NY Metro. They're a top-notch provider, however from what I recall, they don't allow any game servers. Best to check with them, though. I had a XEN VPS with them before.

Old
Marketing Guru

Check out WebHostingBuzz - amazing guys over there. Good luck

Sponsored Links
Old

6sync is out of my price range, $45/month is about the max I can spend.

I'll investigate WebHostingBuzz a little more tomorrow. They seem to be mainly focused on web hosting and thats not how I will be primarily using my VPS. Its mainly for Minecraft, Mumble, VPN, etc.

Old
We Love XenŽ Hypervisor

your budget almost on the lower side.

not too sure if hivelocity offer kvm/qmenu vps.

Old
WHT Addict

ThrustVPS?

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzgeorge View Post
ThrustVPS?
What has your experience been with ThrustVPS? Their prices seem to be a little too good to be true. Also, their East Coast VPS seem to always be sold out when I look at them.

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bGeorge View Post
What has your experience been with ThrustVPS? Their prices seem to be a little too good to be true. Also, their East Coast VPS seem to always be sold out when I look at them.
Once experience in 1 month, maybe you can have a 1 month tour with them

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzgeorge View Post
Once experience in 1 month, maybe you can have a 1 month tour with them
I dont understand what you mean by that.

Old

http://www.linode.com/

Get a linode. Simply the best. Don't bother with cheap OpenVZ-based 1 or 2-year old hosting companies.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by hider View Post

Get a linode. Simply the best. Don't bother with cheap OpenVZ-based 1 or 2-year old hosting companies.
Again, way out of my price range.

Old
Web Hosting Master

What is the maximum you'd pay for that spec? You might have a hard time getting quality for that price and spec.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd View Post
What is the maximum you'd pay for that spec? You might have a hard time getting quality for that price and spec.
The max I can pay is around $40-$45.

Old
WHT Addict

i would have to agree with the others in that you are really under budget for those specs. You are looking for quite a bit of RAM and IPs for very little. You could get those specs from an openvz host, but as I am sure you have realized, openvz burst ram and heavy java apps don't mix well without a a lot of tweaking. KVM and Xen providers will be priced higher than OpenVZ because of the dedicated allocations that make such apps behave as expected. A customized package with those specification, I would expect to cost closer to $70 a month at a Xen/KVM host without compromising some of those requirements.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinologyNetworksLLC View Post
i would have to agree with the others in that you are really under budget for those specs. You are looking for quite a bit of RAM and IPs for very little. You could get those specs from an openvz host, but as I am sure you have realized, openvz burst ram and heavy java apps don't mix well without a a lot of tweaking. KVM and Xen providers will be priced higher than OpenVZ because of the dedicated allocations that make such apps behave as expected. A customized package with those specification, I would expect to cost closer to $70 a month at a Xen/KVM host without compromising some of those requirements.
I have found about 4 recommended providers within my price range on the west coast with the specs I need but I can't seem to find any in the east. Thats why I posted this asking if anyone had any recommendations.

I guess hosting is just cheaper there.