Account Suspended without warning, what do I do??

I have been hosting with a company (will not name them till support gets back to me and explains why), but suddenly my account has been suspended without any warning.

My guess is because I had an adult related blog on the account, but prior to me doing that, I had confirmation from the rep I was speaking to and he said there are no restrictions as long as it's legal content (which it most certainly was).

I am debating on moving servers, but now with my account locked I can't seem to access any of the data, so I don't know how I can transfer any of the database without access to that.

Any suggestions what I should do? I hate having my account locked, I can't believe they would do this without warning.

Chances are if it was done without prior warning, there is a good reason for it. Did you get an email letting you know it was suspended or did you just notice when you checked the site?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,800 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebeans View Post
    I have been hosting with a company (will not name them till support gets back to me and explains why), but suddenly my account has been suspended without any warning.

My guess is because I had an adult related blog on the account, but prior to me doing that, I had confirmation from the rep I was speaking to and he said there are no restrictions as long as it's legal content (which it most certainly was).

I am debating on moving servers, but now with my account locked I can't seem to access any of the data, so I don't know how I can transfer any of the database without access to that.

Any suggestions what I should do? I hate having my account locked, I can't believe they would do this without warning.
    Hello,

You need to contact them asking why did your account get suspended.

Did you also read over their TOS to make sure it was allowed?

It is possible your host is a reseller and your host the 'reseller" did not pay his/her bill so all the accounts are suspended, only a guess.

Let us know the out come.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

Is it against their tos to have adult content?

The only ways is to talk to your host and get your backups . Most of the good companies provide backups . So if you are in a reputed hosting company, then no need to worry , they will allow you to take backup .
    24x7 PROACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

To answer some questions, no E-Mail, just checked the site this morning. It has since been un-suspended while the rep looks over why.

As far as ToS, I just double checked the website, nothing about adult. The typical illegal stuff is mentioned, but nothing of general adult content.

Their account wasn't suspended because the main hosting site was still online, was definitely a 'me' issue

I am going to see what the suspension deal is before I consider moving, maybe it was a misunderstanding, but this definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. It's too bad because the rep for the company has been extremely helpful to me with matters, and really enjoyed the server speed.

What sort of traffic do you receive? Your site could have been suspended because it was using too much CPU/RAM and interfering with other users. How long ago did you sign-up anyway? It could be a payment issue. You're going to need to contact them, non of us can help you and we're only speculating.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Yea I contacted them, it could be a payment issue, I'm not sure. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Traffic was getting around 800 uniques a day network wide and spiked over 2-3k about 7 total times in the past 4 months

Thanks for the replies guys

So it seems like you will be able to resolve the issue? That is lucky. In the worst case you will have to find a new host.
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Well, I'm still waiting to hear the reason I was suspended in the first place. Now my sites are crawling, but at least they're up

While you are on it, do remember to take backup of your hosted accounts, there are applications out there to automate that for you.

You never know when you are going to need that.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

You seemed to have escaped losing your data by a thin hair. I highly suggest that you start making offsite backups. Be it through a service or a generated download to your computer. I pop on my site once a week and have cPanel do a full backup to Remote FTP that simply logs into a FTP server on my computer and sends me the backup.

Just being suspended out of the blue can happen again, and some companies aren't so great when it comes to backing up accounts. Despite any backups your host claims, please always keep your own set of offsite backups!
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Chances are if it was done without prior warning, there is a good reason for it.
    Agreed.

@OP, still no reply from your host yet? It's been 2 hours already...
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Zeyr View Post
    I highly suggest that you start making offsite backups. Be it through a service or a generated download to your computer.
    This is good advice -- make sure you're taking your own backups regularly.

Do let us know the reason your site was suspended when you find out -- I'm surprised that it seems to be taking them so long to find the reason. Sometimes immediate action has to be taken (for example, if a script is using too many resources and is bringing down the server), but as a courtesy your host should always contact you afterwards to let you know that (a) your account is suspended, (b) why it was suspended, and (c) what actions to take.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

you could make it easier if you have a daily offsite backup. so you could freely move to other host and not even bothered to make a thread on wht

a lesson that always came after your data is locked or being vanished.
    please cmiiw always

Change hosting company and move your files somewhere else. I'm sure that you will never get such a issue with for example DownTownHost.

It really doesn't seem in your provider's best interest to just shut down their clients without warning. I'd wager that they had some faulty contact information somewhere in their system. If they truly did shut you down without warning, I'd get with an account/service rep and request that it never happen again. I'm assuming that you're willing to correct any mistakes that you might have made - billing or otherwise. If you're willing to communicate, they should be too.

Quote Originally Posted by Deny View Post
    Change hosting company and move your files somewhere else. I'm sure that you will never get such a issue with for example DownTownHost.
    I don't know that you necessarily have to leave your host because of something like this. All hosting providers are prone to mistakes. I'd talk to them about it first. If they were wrong, they should have a chance to make it right with you. It might save you some trouble transferring to another provider in the long run.

800 unique visitors per day on a shared web hosting account? Sounds to me like your account might have been suspended for eating up to much resources? It is the end of the month

In any-case, let us know the verdict?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Chances are if it was done without prior warning, there is a good reason for it. Did you get an email letting you know it was suspended or did you just notice when you checked the site?
    I once had an account suspended by DME for nothing. They had server issues and left me hanging for 3 days with a suspended account. After three days of me wondering why I was suspended and wondering why my host wouldn't contact me my account use reactivated.

They told me they had to suspend all the accounts on that server to replace a piece of equipment. While it might be a good reason why it was suspended, neglect played a major role and it almost seems like the same things is happened to this gentleman