Switch from .org to .net

We have recently acquired the .net version of our company name and would prefer to use it as its more profressional looking then .org.

I understand there are SEO risks involved with this, but if we were to simply set our .org to forward to our .net should we have to worry to much?

Or would it be best just to set the .net to forward to our .org like we have now and start advertising the .net instead?

Thanks for you help in advance.
    Srvify(888) 468-4678
    Xen & OpenVZ VPS Hosting
    Dedicated Servers
    Shared & Reseller Hosting

I would say it really wont mater what domain is pointed to what because the end result will be your web page pulling up. Mainly your marketing will make the difference in this case, start marketing the .net domain. Get all your inbound links changed to the .net. This will help rank up the .net It should not matter as far as SEO if you have a well build site the search bots will find your site and index it properly it may effect the ranking as for the .org. Eventually you will want to have the .net domain as the main domain name and the .org pointing to the .net.
    Your alexa.com rank is very important the .net is not listed but you have a rank of 926,377 for the .org. It will take some time to rank the .net up. So keep the .org as the main name and .net as the sub domain. You should ad the .net manualy to alexa.com so the alexa bot can scan the .net site. I hope this helps.

Kevin

It would definitely better to use .net than .org. You can do a 301 permanent redirect so all traffic goes from .org to .net, which can easily be done in cPanel or by manually putting some custom rules in .htaccess file used for .org.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

301 Redirect from .org to .net
    Code:
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.net/$1 [R=301]
    will make all pages on .org forward to equivalent on .net
    Namworld Web Servicesinfo@namworld.net
    █ cPanel & Softaculous - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - Unlimited cPanel Features
    █ Web Hosting - Web Design - Banners - Social Marketing
    Web Hosting

Thanks for the help guys, one more question.

If I do the rewrite or permanent redirect to the .net , would it not help the .net gain a ranking in Alexa?
    Srvify(888) 468-4678
    Xen & OpenVZ VPS Hosting
    Dedicated Servers

Yes I think It would I don't think you going to lose anything, your going to keep the Alexa rank with the .org and gain the .net. I would load it manually at Alexa.com and download there tool bar that will help gain your rank as well. They use this tool bar for allot of purposes like tracking inbound links to your web site.

Alexa ranking is based on traffic with Alexa toolbar... if all traffic from .org is redirected to .net ...

I'll let you guess what the result will be : P
    Namworld Web Servicesinfo@namworld.net
    █ cPanel & Softaculous - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - Unlimited cPanel Features
    █ Web Hosting - Web Design - Banners - Social Marketing
    Web Hosting

Alex, Google Ranks, etc - those aren't going to get you customers. Proper branding and marketing techniques will.

Of course, .net is much more professional. An org domain gives the indication that you're a free, non-profit organization.
    » VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    » HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

Quote Originally Posted by HostingFuze View Post
    Alex, Google Ranks, etc - those aren't going to get you customers. Proper branding and marketing techniques will.

Of course, .net is much more professional. An org domain gives the indication that you're a free, non-profit organization.

That was one of my thoughts, but at the same token I don't want to lose the traffic we do get from Google.

I appreciate everyone's comments, and will make the switch when we launch our new site. Thanks again
    Srvify(888) 468-4678
    Xen & OpenVZ VPS Hosting
    Dedicated Servers

As HostingFuze said, forget about Alexa, PR etc.
    1) Do a 301 redirect from the .org to .net (not just the homepage, all the pages)
    2) Get as much old links to the .org pointed to the .net
    3) Build aggressively new links to the .net
    4) Set up the .net in Google webmaster tools
    5) Give it time. In one month you should be all set and most rankings should be transferred to the .net :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HostingFuze View Post

even i agree. To get customers, all that will matter is your reputation and marketing. Domain makes very little difference. And, .net feels a lot better than .org, mate!

Quote Originally Posted by prashanth[HC] View Post
    even i agree. To get customers, all that will matter is your reputation and marketing. Domain makes very little difference. And, .net feels a lot better than .org, mate!
    +1

You could buy a new domain tomorrow, set it up, and if you marketed it right, you'll be selling services from it the day after. It's all about presentation, looks, what you offer, etc. You have to make your visitors, or people that hear about your site feel like they're in good hands before they become your customer.
    » VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    » HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

Yes you can go and use both the net and org to Pointing to the same location/site which can be set by alias, you can contact your hosting provider to setup such way so that the traffic will be calculated on both way and you will not loss your viewers.

One rule of thumb of search engine optimization is that you NEVER change the URL of a webpage unless you have no other option. Mark my words changing over to a .net, even with a 301 redirect, is going to cost you your search engine rankings. Its just not worth it. Instead you should redirect your new .net to your .org. And as far as link building goes stick to promoting the .org. It already has significant standing in the search engine results pages so it'll be easier to promote.