hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Help me pick a server ( need to order today!)

Forum Jump

Help me pick a server ( need to order today!)

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Help me pick a server ( need to order today!)

Ok, my friend needs a new server and asap, hes with poundhost and wants to get away not sure why but his call. Ideally tomorrow or the day after at the latest he would like to be setup. This is a run down of what he needs

Budget $70ish cpanel will be seperate - he requires as much disk and bandwith and ram as possible he can get. ideally as close to the uk as possible.

These are the options are;

Server4u - $74
http://www.server4you.com/root-serve...php?products=3
Pros - Nice Quad core and good network, is a shared 100mb port
Cons - Poor support, no support, are know to send servers into the dark reading reviews

Burst.net $74.95 USD with cpanel is $92
Dual Xeon 2.0GHZ Dedicated Server - DUAL CPU 2.0GHZ 400FSB (512K CACHE) w/HT - 250hd and 5000GB bw, 2gb ram
Pros - alright server, good latency from scanton, managed
cons - not best reputation, slow support (sent a ticket this morning and no reply)

http://www.hostxnow.com/ - 75 / $110ish with cpanel included
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.5ghz, 250gb hd / 2gb ram / 3000gb ram /
Pros - Managed, good support and features
Cons - not best cpu, cant setup will next week

Can you guys give me your opinion on who would you use or any other provider you guys can recomend that fits the bill. this server needs to be ordered asap so it can have a chance to be online tomorrow or day after atleast.

Forgot to add would you guys think a vps may be usable, basically its like a youtube website in a sence however for cars and has his own script and whetever. At the min has a 160gb hard drive that filled up however cpanel says his account only have 5gb disk space used, ram usage is low bit thats ona 2gb ram server at the min

Last edited by imryan; 12-24-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

Well being that it's a holiday, I don't know if you'll have a lot of luck getting set up in the next few days unless you go with a provider where the setup can be automated or one of the larger providers that is more likely to have people on staff even on the holiday.

I know you can get a SoftLayer server within 4 to 8 hours of ordering but it's not going to be anywhere near the pricing you listed for those other providers.

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

None of them really look too good when you word them like that.

█EnviousHost.com - Premium Minecraft and Stardmade servers!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsfixcom View Post
None of them really look too good when you word them like that.
lol, i was trying to be realistic on all providers ive found so far.

Ideally needs setup for the 28th morning at latest so gives time for me to move his stuff over on the day and at night his old server switches off

Old 12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Web Hosting Guru

in these 3 i'll recommend burst.net their sales/billing response is slow but support is better, mostly you'll get response in 2 hours.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Marketing Guru

You are aiming too cheap - even if you order today, you probably won't get it setup until mid next week with the real budget providers.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended

I would recommend Host Dime They Are Great, they have fast friendly service they will migrate all sites fast, And Have been around for a while and would be a likley solution for you as well. Hope this helps have a great day. hostdime.co.uk/

Old 12-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

I think BurstNET is the best provider there. They may be a bit slow because it is the holidays after all.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

Unlikely you're gonna get one server today. It's Christmas, doubt sales are working at companies.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:02 PM
BEST.CSM.EVER

The slow response is because we're on a skeleton crew for the Holiday. Not sure if he orders today he'll get it up BEFORE Sunday, but it's worth a shot. There's not many hosts out there at a budget level whoi are going to do much better.

If he can survive with a VPS in the immediate, those are setup within 30 minutes as long as he pays his invoice when he orders and passes any auto-fraud checks.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Web Hosting Master

@imryan,

For server setup time, you're looking at tomorrow, Sunday latest.

BTW it can take quite a long time just to transfer 160GB of data from old server to new server, even longer if transferring data from say a USA server to UK server, due to slower transfer rates, etc.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Corporate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imryan View Post
Burst.net $74.95 USD with cpanel is $92
Dual Xeon 2.0GHZ Dedicated Server - DUAL CPU 2.0GHZ 400FSB (512K CACHE) w/HT - 250hd and 5000GB bw, 2gb ram
Pros - alright server, good latency from scanton, managed
cons - not best reputation, slow support (sent a ticket this morning and no reply)
Not sure way you picked that server we offer to compare with, when we have other servers available in same price range that blow all the other deals away???

Also, Scranton is not our closet location to the UK, we have service in the UK itself.

Our reputation is just fine, btw, don't let the WHT trolls, abusers, and newbies fool you...

Old 12-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Junior Guru

Are you looking for RAID with this or just looking to keep costs reasonable?

Wolverhampton and London UK