hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Programming Discussion : Suggestions and help about performance

Forum Jump

Suggestions and help about performance

Reply Post New Thread In Programming Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:09 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Exclamation

Suggestions and help about performance

I have build my website on Drupal CMS, it's hosted on a dedicated server, with Hetzner, 8GB RAM + AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 100 MBit NIC

I have as much as possible optimized the server,

This is the configuration:

Nginx as front end server to Apache + APC for opcode caching.

I have highly optimised Nginx and Apache + MySql, even fine tuned PHP running, I even have cloudflare as DNS resolver and CDN.

The server os is Ubuntu 10.04 server.

The same configuration on my local computer is blistering fast, pages are rendered under 2 seconds. however, the production server has such a lag, and pages are rendered in over 20 + seconds.

I know that the latency should be the issue as I have 160MS latency from Australia.

I have no idea anymore what to think and where to look, I even tried profiling it, but nothing really shows, up, except for one slow MySql query which takes upto 1.5 seconds to execute.

Any suggestions please...

The url is http://www.azadkashur.com

I have aggressive cache enabled for anonymous users, so your page time would be 75 percent less to what logged in members see...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 04:22 AM
Web Hosting Master

I think you can get rid of apache and use Nginx + php-fpm + APC instead.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:34 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
I think you can get rid of apache and use Nginx + php-fpm + APC instead.
I would have got rid of Apache altogether, but there are somethings I need Apache to work for, unfortunately they are not supported by Nginx or my CMS...

eg, upload progress, private directories amongst few more... any more suggestions...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Web Hosting Master

The use of nginx is useful for static files. When you use a dynamic application ( like drupal ) with nginx and apache, it will be a pain for the server. The nginx has to contact upstream ( apache in this case ) and get the dynamic contents. This will delay things.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

strace the processes and see where it waits and what it waits for. Big chance it's trying to dns-resolve something and just times out. Or something else ... strace it! :-)