* Need advice on choosing hosting for my website

Hi,
    I am running a website that will initially serve around 10-20 users online at the same time. Each user will send an ajax request to my website for synchronizing data every second. Can my website be hosted in a shared hosting account or it must run on a VPS/dedicated server? Because I am initiating the project, my budget is quite low ($5-$10/m), I must consider this.

What about in next some months, my website has 50-100 concurrent users?

And which hosting provider should you recommend me to go with?

Thanks,
    Henry.

Hey Henry,

To start off, a shared hosting account should work for what you're doing. As for the increases in users, it really depends on what kind of data and the amount of data being processed. I would certainly pay close attention to the terms of service of the hosting providers you're considering on their policies of resource usage.

With your small budget, you may run into difficulty finding the amount of resources to have a steady running VPS.

Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like shared should be good fit, but always look a little deeper when you come closer to picking a provider.
    Tin Pham
    Solutions Engineer
    WP Engine - WordPress Hosting, Perfected.

Start with a steady shared hosting and upgrade gradually as your user increased.

If you could figure out the average of the CPU usage your site consumers each day it would be much easier to help you. The problem you are going to run into isn't disk space or bandwidth (maybe bandwidth) but most likely it is going to be the CPU Usage.

If you go to MDDHosting.com they are running this special called "the 15 days of christmas" and each day the discount get's lower as opposed to higher but they are a great host and any discount they offer with the level of professionalism within that company is a steal for any consumer.

The script should be quite light-weight as it just do a very normal job and return as json data.
    I intent to go with GoFindUs but I don't have so much information about his server. I am afraid of such cheap hosting because they have brought me into troubles in a very short time.
    MDDHosting is good but I prefer Apache as I need .htaccess and mod_rewrite.

Does anybody has information how many normal requests a normal shared hosting can serve in 1 second?

Thank you all,
    Henry.

It is better you could go with shared Linux hosting hosting plans - CentOS or Cloud Linux based OS. Go for monthly subscription if you would wish to try someone. To start with it is always better you get a started plan and then upgrade based on your need. If i had understood your question - The requests it actually depends on how much traffic you receive and based on other shared hosting that really been hosted on the server.
    HostASP.NET offers Affordable, Reliable ASP.NET Web hosting India / USA | Linux plans, Hyper-V Virtual dedicated servers (VPS)

Shared host should be fine with this. Just make sure you get monthly plans or just make sure that they offer money back guarantee (30-90 days or anytime).

Should your users grow, you may just transfer to more powerful like VPS.

Some shared hosting providers won't likely to shut your account right away when you hit big resources (CPU, RAM, etc). You will be most likely notified first, informing you what's happening to your account. Some options will be recommended to you like transferring your site to VPS or upgrade your account.

Thank you!
    I would like to go with a shared hosting or a reseller for a budget of $5/m.
    How much is a multi-domain (5 at least) cloud-based shared hosting/reseller?
    My target is Asia (Singapore, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, China, India)

If your target is Asia, you can start from a hosting company from Asia and it would be much appropriate rather than having your server hosted in US as there are many blocking or interruption on Asian network if it is not optimized.

Also, I do not think that you can get a reseller hosting with us $5/month. Maybe you can get a normal shared hosting with feature of having addon domains.

Hi,
    have you heard about godaddy and inexpensive domain why cant you have a yearly pack ?? it comes with great offer and support

And.. some Asia-based web hosting providers are quite expensive, so your budget of $5/month I believe won't be sufficient.
    DomainWink - Shared Web and Reseller Hosting with 24/7 Customer Support
    cPanel with 1-Click Script Installs | Anytime Money Back Guarantee | Free 30 Days Trial, No CC Required
    Visit us: www.domainwink.com

For 50-100 concurrent users, you indeed need a bigger system, not a shared hosting account. If your website grows, why limit the fund for it?

I would suggest you to go with a cloud based VPS if you are having hight concurrent users and if they are increasing , this way you can avoid the moving and changing the hosting provider , messing up with the things.

@Gate2VN, eNet: My project has not been finished yet and at the beginning, the number should be much smaller but I must estimate that number for my need in next 6 months or 1 year. That's why I dont want to waste my money for super-big account that I actually does need such much.