hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Cloud Hosting : is cloud hosting?

Forum Jump

is cloud hosting?

Reply Post New Thread In Cloud Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

is cloud hosting?

I have long been working with Xen VPS and I'm surprised this service that sell 1and1 is really cloud hosting? I understand that no redundancy or high availability.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Clo...hd.nav.domains

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

So what is the question?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jift View Post
So what is the question?
If this service is really cloud hosting, becuase I see that is a traditional vps hosting.

Sponsored Links
Old
Corporate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywin View Post
If this service is really cloud hosting, becuase I see that is a traditional vps hosting.
Well, that depends, if the VPSs are hosted on a "cloud platform" then it should be a truly Cloud hosting space, actually it doesn't matter what product are you offering as anything can be hosted on a "cloud", I've seen cPanel Shared/Resellers (such as CloudWeb), or VPSs like those offered by VPS.net on their cloud platform.

Fast and Friendly multilingual (Spanish and English) Support www.whitesystem.net

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-ws View Post
Well, that depends, if the VPSs are hosted on a "cloud platform" then it should be a truly Cloud hosting space, actually it doesn't matter what product are you offering as anything can be hosted on a "cloud", I've seen cPanel Shared/Resellers (such as CloudWeb), or VPSs like those offered by VPS.net on their cloud platform.
Yes, I understand perfectly. But it is assumed that a cloud can grow without limit and redundancy. The cloud of 1and1 do not see that have that, I see that just works as a VPS.

I ask this because I see a lot of hosting providers that are selling cloud services that are really xen vps.

Old

Not unlike the real thing, "Cloud Hosting" is nebulous sometimes. If they are hosting services in a virtualized environment. I would call that a cloud even if they limit the amount of services they offer. I'm sure you could call them and ask for more services than you can configure on their really cool web interface.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Ok, then I could call Cloud hosting to my Xen VPS, So do many companies (I am loss customers migrating to these services).

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
Not unlike the real thing, "Cloud Hosting" is nebulous sometimes. If they are hosting services in a virtualized environment. I would call that a cloud even if they limit the amount of services they offer. I'm sure you could call them and ask for more services than you can configure on their really cool web interface.
That's really the difference. The number of "cloud servers" a provider can offer. Amazon for instance has the ability to offer thousands at a time but even they run short at times.

Old

greg is right.. even the biggest provider can run low..

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywin View Post
It might be. I do not know what kind of software platform 1and1 uses. I can see "Dedicated server environment with full root access." and "Plesk Panel" on the page. So it might be any kind of Parallels automation product, which they call "Cloud". There is nothing about the cloud computing infrastructure on the page!

24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor