What is your budget? Any specif specs?
    ¦ Ernie - ColoCrossing by HostPapa | Enterprise Colocation and Baremetal Services
    ¦ Colocation | Dedicated Servers | Private Cloud | Managed Services | IP Transit
    ¦ Buffalo, NY | Los Angeles | Atlanta | Chicago | Dallas | Atlanta | San Jose | Seattle
    ¦ Equick @ colocrossing.com

Quote Originally Posted by HVHost View Post
    What is your budget? Any specif specs?
    Well to be Honest I was hoping to see what's out there and to get some feedback on some good Hosting. I'm not really sure what my budget should be as I'm new to the webhosting world. Can you give me some feedback on costs Etc?

Then the advice from us will be to buy a normal or small hosting package.

For a forum 1gb disk with 10gb traffic would be an easy point to start from.

Websites and traffic grow over time. You can expand whenever the need arises, so starting small is always good advice.
    Java, C, PHP, AJAX development from the Netherlands
    Also offering quality proactive server management
    Need a quote? E-mail daniel at dg-services.nl

As long as you are not planning on hosting the game you will not need root access. If you are just going to run phpbb you will not need root access. Root access: "is an administrator level log-on for a dedicated server, semi dedicated server or a virtual private server. Having root access to the server gives you the ability to take full control of your server. You can then use it for almost anything you wish to including hosting multiple websites, third party software/applications, game servers etc. You can also maintain it as per your preferences." I got this from eUKHosting. I thought it was a good definition.
    Adam Croshaw 435.227.1205 (my direct line)
    UK2 Group | Global Cloud, VPS and Web Hosting
    Smile pass it on:-)

Quote Originally Posted by VPSRun View Post
    Is it just going to be a forum or you're going to code the game yourself and also have a forum?
    Well I was hoping to have just a home page with login info, Newsupdates, Gameserver banner, Ventrilo server banner, etc and then a forums page. I'm going to try to use phpbb.

Smile Newb Alert! Need help with WebHosting!

Well first of I just want to say Hello! to the webhosting world. I'm absolutly blown away with this site! It has such a wealth of knowledge and I couldn't be happier to have found it. Thanks phpbb forums! I'm a newb to all of this and I'm excitied to get started on learning. I am curently waiting to be accepted to a Web/Multi Media Course next fall and I kinda want to test the waters first and try to build a Gaming Website/Forums on my own. I thought what the hell why not take the chance and if I mess up that's ok Ill learn from my mistakes lol. The reason I'm on here is I was hoping to get some feedback on a Good/Fast/Cheap Webhosting for the year. I'm currently on a tight budget as I'm trying to save up for school but at the same time I don't want to have slow hosting and problems. I was just hoping that someone with some skills and Experience could maybe donate some of there precious time and give me some guidance to help me get started. If you got some advice Please! post or feel free to send me a PM. If someone could please give me a hand I would truely appreciate it.

All the best Joe

Are you looking for a shared, reseller, master reseller.. etc? What kind of site are you looking for? There are certainly many discounts available in the web hosting offers section.

Do you need root access for the type of gaming website/forum you are going to build. If you do I would suggest a VPS. You can usually find a good deal on a VPS. If you don't need root access to the server just find a good reliable shared hosting account. Shared hosting will be the cheapest option. But VPS hosting can be inexpensive as well. Good luck on your venture. You have found a good place to get information about Web Hosting.

I recommend eUKhost.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by VPSRun View Post
    Are you looking for a shared, reseller, master reseller.. etc? What kind of site are you looking for? There are certainly many discounts available in the web hosting offers section.
    Well I would like to build a Gaming website with forums as my first project. The reason I would like to go with a discount host is because I'm learning and don't want to pay huge bucks on hosting when I'm learning and trying to save for school. Thank you for the info on the webhosting offers section I'm going to go check it out now.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    I recommend eUKhost.
    Just curious? I'm in Canada. Would it be better to host in North America? I'm just thinkin most of the users will be probably be from North America.

Quote Originally Posted by adamcroshaw View Post
    Do you need root access for the type of gaming website/forum you are going to build. If you do I would suggest a VPS. You can usually find a good deal on a VPS. If you don't need root access to the server just find a good reliable shared hosting account. Shared hosting will be the cheapest option. But VPS hosting can be inexpensive as well. Good luck on your venture. You have found a good place to get information about Web Hosting.
    Ok Newb Alert lol What is root access? lol I'm looking to build a Gaming Website/Forums through phpbb so what would you reccommend?

Quote Originally Posted by JDelis View Post
    Ok Newb Alert lol What is root access? lol I'm looking to build a Gaming
    Website/Forums through phpbb so what would you reccommend?
    Root Access is an administrator level log-on for a dedicated server, semi dedicated server or a virtual private server. Having root access to the server gives you the ability to take full control of your server. You can then use it for almost anything you wish to including hosting multiple websites, third party software/applications, game servers etc. You can also maintain it as per your preferences.
    - From: http://www.eukhost.com/web-hosting/k...t-access-mean/

Quote Originally Posted by JDelis View Post
    Well I would like to build a Gaming website with forums as my first project. The reason I would like to go with a discount host is because I'm learning and don't want to pay huge bucks on hosting when I'm learning and trying to save for school. Thank you for the info on the webhosting offers section I'm going to go check it out now.
    Is it just going to be a forum or you're going to code the game yourself and also have a forum?

You shouldn't need root access if you are just going to run phpbb. If you were going to run the actual game on the server then you would need a dedicated server or a VPS. You should be fine on a shared hosting account. Root access allows you to install third party applications, root access gives you administrative privileges over the server.

Quote Originally Posted by adamcroshaw View Post
    I got this from eUKHosting. I thought it was a good definition.
    You rock Thank you