Question What kind of hosting i need ?

I'm interested in making a "pet raising game" site.
    if you don't know what it is the general idea is that users can "adopt" a picture of some animal/creature
    and post it on their signature in forums or on their site etc.. and ask people to click it.
    the click sends the people to the page on my site where the pet is stored, the more clicks a pet get the faster it grows or gives other bonuses.

it's not my invention of course it's a popular idea.

the site itself is not heavy but unlike a normal site if I host the pictures on my site
    and people use them outside of my site I'm concerned it will take a lot of bandwidth..
    more than that, I thought to take it one step forward and add simple actions you can do with pets(feed them,train them etc..)
    all text based except one gif animation per pet. and I'm not sure how much CPU and SQL strain it will generate.
    Disk space is not a big issue, the images are not too big(5kb-10kb GIF)
    and I won't use much of it.

I don't have a high budget too and I wonder if I can afford it.
    so, what kind of hosting will fit ?
    and do you have any suggestions on specific trustworthy hosting providers ?

I've considered hosting24 [.]com and neosurge [.]com in case it will do. anyone here tried neosurge ?
    is it even possible to offer VPS at that low prices ?

I suppose you need to do the search for something like game servers in this case.

Yes lightblue,

you just need a VPS with cPanel and it will work for you and your project ;-)

I think they charge extra for Cpanel on neosurge.. webmin is any good ?
    any suggestions for a relatively cheap VPS ?

Depending on where you will go,

manage a VPS may be paintfull since YOU need to take care of, security update,upgrade system,uptime,install almost everything if you don't get cPanel for example...

Webmin still good but it's not a popular one,mean that if you are looking to do the management yourself it can be tricky to find an how to... but of course webmin will work well for sure.

Starting with a VPS will for sure let you grown your game,

but can be dangerous if you don't have any Linux skill when you have a problem,

just my penny.

SiberForum, wouldn't it be too expensive ? and are you sure it's really needed ?

there will be no multiplayer, in that I mean it doesn't require communication between users.
    and no complicated 2D game world. just an html page with a few buttons and an image..
    and it's not a flash game too.

thanks for the help by the way

nexty, is it complicated to manage a linux VPS ?(I can manage a shared host, never tried a VPS before) and can't you count on the technical support of the host in such case ?

Yes lightblue,

you just need a VPS with cPanel and it will work for you and your project ;-)

VPS or cloud. if you have quite a few users; you'll need the resources. 1 html page use's minimal amount of CPU but images can get rather 'chopy' if it requested allot...

Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

Depending on where you will go,

manage a VPS may be paintfull since YOU need to take care of, security update,upgrade system,uptime,install almost everything if you don't get cPanel for example...

Webmin still good but it's not a popular one,mean that if you are looking to do the management yourself it can be tricky to find an how to... but of course webmin will work well for sure.

You definitely need a VPS for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by lightblue View Post
    I've considered hosting24 [.]com and neosurge [.]com in case it will do. anyone here tried neosurge ?
    is it even possible to offer VPS at that low prices ?
    We are not at bottom of the barrel pricing these days, so it is entirely possible to offer services at the prices we do.

Quote Originally Posted by lightblue View Post
    cPanel costs extra. We sell it at a price that is less then what we pay as a direct partner with cPanel (since 2005) as an incentive to customers.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

I have no idea why people are suggesting game servers / VPSs/ Dedicated servers. All you need is a shared hosting account with decent disk space and bandwidth - best to check the shared hosting offers in the advertising forums. I recently used Hawkhost to host a PHP application I was developing (over a period of 6 months) and can vouch for them. Good luck on finding a provider!