hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : RaQ4 Hacked ... and it was patched!

Forum Jump

RaQ4 Hacked ... and it was patched!

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2001, 03:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

Exclamation

I have religously kept up with my patches on a RaQ4i I have with rackshack and lo and behold, it got hacked. The perpetrator removed /var/log recursively and is now doing port scans. I literally visit Cobalt twice a day to check for patches and have applied all of them. My DNS server was off as well. What can be done to stop the hackers? Cobalt's are obviously wide open, even when guarded.

Regards,
Drew
www.cobalthost.com

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2001, 04:30 PM
Web Hosting Master

Drew, what version of BIND did you have installed?

And what o/s? are the hackers still scanning of your site, the reason i'm asking this is because i have hacked hundred of sites and informed sys admins that they have a security hole in there system, and when you mentioned scanning I know exactly what they are doing.

Drop me a line if you need more help.

Old 05-01-2001, 04:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hi, thanks for the follow-up. It is a RaQ4 running Cobalt's Linux.

Cobalt Linux release 6.0 (Shinkansen-Decaf)
Kernel 2.2.16C24_III on an i586

I had the DNS server disabled, as I know of several vulnerabilities for it specifically.

Drew

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2001, 04:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

What ftp software were you using?

Old 05-01-2001, 05:44 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by drewnick
I have religously kept up with my patches on a RaQ4i I have with rackshack and lo and behold, it got hacked. The perpetrator removed /var/log recursively and is now doing port scans. I literally visit Cobalt twice a day to check for patches and have applied all of them. My DNS server was off as well. What can be done to stop the hackers? Cobalt's are obviously wide open, even when guarded.

Regards,
Drew
www.cobalthost.com
Do you use telnet? or ssh? Do you use POP3? If yes, is the POP3 password different than your admin password?

Take a look at this thread for starters http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...&threadid=8539

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
GCHQ, Not NSA, Behind Belgian Telecom Attack: Report Web Hosting News 2013-09-20 12:16:20
Reports Suggest NSA Behind Attack on Belgium's Largest Telecom Web Hosting News 2013-09-16 10:33:22
Could Website Hackers be Chasing Hosting Customers Away? Blog 2013-08-27 09:07:42
Syrian Electronic Army Targets Top US Media Websites in Outbrain Platform Hack Web Hosting News 2013-08-16 10:46:10
SwaggSec Hackers Release 900 Admin Credentials from China Telecom Attack Web Hosting News 2012-06-04 15:24:03