Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow vps.net vs giganet

I have narrowed my search for a cloud host to vps.net and gigenet. They seem like they have similar plans and prices so I am looking at the other factors now.

I am soliciting feedback from anyone having experience using the above hosts. Especially if you have used both of them and can directly compare.

I am currently hosted on a 6 year old 2.4 celeron dedicated machine with 1GB of RAM, while still adequate, has probably seen it's better days. I am looking to move to cloud hosting for the same reasons as everyone else is, flexibility, scaling, pay for what you use, etc.

My server currently has about 200 accounts that I host for a certain industry, small static sites, plus their low volume email requirements. Monthly transfer averages only 20GB. Total current disk usage is about 25G. I use Cpanel/WHM.

So with the above in mind I am asking about my concerns and solicit your opinions:

1. Reliability/Uptime. How is it with either host? Both seem to say they have 100% up time and the sites are automatically loaded from another machine if one fails. Does it really work that way or have you experienced downtime?

2. Network speed. Do your sites load speedily as you want? As speedy as a dedicated server? Which provider is faster? I am in the USA and all sites are directed to the USA market.

3. Support. While I don't need management help because I will be using Cpanel, I sometimes need support if something goes wrong. How good, fast, and pleasant are the support staff with either provider?

4. Billing. Is their billing easy to understand and mistake free? Are you convinced that you are only billed for what you actually use?

5. Cloud countrol panel. What you administer your resource allocations and build your VM's with. Is it reliable and easy to use?

Anything else that might help me make the right decision?

Quote Originally Posted by hostseeker View Post
    1. Reliability/Uptime. How is it with either host? Both seem to say they have 100% up time and the sites are automatically loaded from another machine if one fails. Does it really work that way or have you experienced downtime?
    You will never get TRUE 100% uptime every year, well not with the right provider anyway, as they have to do maintenance now and again, etc. But you will get much better uptime with Cloud VPS and Dedicated Server hosting compared to standard Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting.

2. Network speed. Do your sites load speedily as you want? As speedy as a dedicated server? Which provider is faster? I am in the USA and all sites are directed to the USA market.
    To me, Cloud VPS speeds seem the same as Dedicated.

As for USA Cloud VPS hosting providers, I don't know of any.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    You will never get TRUE 100% uptime every year, well not with the right provider anyway, as they have to do maintenance now and again, etc. But you will get much better uptime with Cloud VPS and Dedicated Server hosting compared to standard Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting.

To me, Cloud VPS speeds seem the same as Dedicated.

As for USA Cloud VPS hosting providers, I don't know of any.
    Thank you for your reply. Don't the two companies I am considering, Gigenet and VPS.net have datacenters in the USA? According to their websites they do.

Thank you for your reply. Don't the two companies I am considering, Gigenet and VPS.net have datacenters in the USA? According to their websites they do.
    VPS.NET has multiple cloud locations in the United States; Atlanta, Georgia at 55 Marietta & 34 Peachtree. Chicago, Illinois, in the Continuum & Dupont Fabros datacenters, and then Salt Lake City, Utah in the C7 datacenter.

We have great experience with Gigenet so far.

The only downtime we had was 3 weeks ago (planned maintenance) for around 10 minutes.

Gigenet has a great network. People seem to complain about disk IO with cloud hosting, but I notice Gigenet cloud is even faster than my dedicated server running on SAS drive RAID 10.

Support response time is around 5-10 minutes.

They only display hourly credit/cents. I hope they include hourly/daily deduction on their billing history.

Cloud panel is easy to use and very basic. Easy to understand. I hope they can provide nice cloud panel like Voxel

You may want to consider Voxel as well. They have nice network & free CDN, but slightly more expensive.

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming.

As I said they appear to have similar plans and similar costs. I do see that VPS.net includes one IP address with their plan without extra charge, while with Gigenet you have to buy an IP block of 4 IP's for $4 per month, but you can only use one of the IP's, that does seem sort of strange.

On the other hands Gigenet gives you more disk space on their 2 node plan (40GB vs 20GB) so I would have to purchase extra disk space at VPS.net so that is about a wash.

Again, uptime, speed, support, ease of use of the cloud portal, and billing simplicity and accuracy are my primary concerns now.

(...) I do see that VPS.net includes one IP address with their plan without extra charge, while with Gigenet you have to buy an IP block of 4 IP's for $4 per month, but you can only use one of the IP's, that does seem sort of strange.
    (...)
    That's probably because Gigenet assigns every client a full vlan. VPS.NET runs OnApp where you can share vlans across accounts and still not worry about sniffing or security because of the OnApp firewall setup. That way you can assign IP's as needed with no minimum.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

I am using vps.net since 3 months and they are really good..( No downtime ) and they offer good support ..

Thanks for everyone's replies. I really think either provider would be good, they are mostly pretty equal on features, pricing and the reviews here.

Since everything did look pretty equal I decided on Gigenet due to them offering phone support as well as ticket and email support.

which one is better in terms of speed?

i never really got the just of a cloud i assume that a cloud is just another vps so to speak

Most of them are, but gigenetcloud, vps.net & voxel are not.

What about Amazon ec2?

FWIW, we moved away from VPS.net after about 15 outages.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    Where did you move to?

I'd also like to hear more responses from people who have had experiences with both companies.

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    Where did you move to?

I'd also like to hear more responses from people who have had experiences with both companies.
    I suspect you're get very little feedback on WHT - it's not exactly our target clientele, but twitter or our forums are quite active. We're over 5000 clients strong..I'd say there may be 5 or so on WHT.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

care to explain or link a thread if you had made any please?

thanks in advance

EDIT: lame question : does any provide managed support included ? how about ddos protection?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    care to explain or link a thread if you had made any please?

thanks in advance
    http://status.vps.net/

It's pretty obvious, refresh that every few days and you'll see new complete site outages. We moved to linode, which is no "cloud" and our servers haven't been down since.

thx mate, any idea about this?:

EDIT: lame question : does any provide managed support included ? how about ddos protection?

http://status.vps.net/

It's pretty obvious, refresh that every few days and you'll see new complete site outages. We moved to linode, which is no "cloud" and our servers haven't been down since.
    We're on pace to launch 30,000 VMs in 2010; that's no excuse for the struggles we've had, but going off of a simple status page when you're uninformed of our size isn't very reliable. Any provider that has the large amount of complex infrastructure we have is going to have frequent updates, especially when they're as transparent as we are.

I think the fact that our growth rate has continued to climb, while our churn rate has been nearly cut in half, despite a decrease in marketing expenditures shows that a large percentage of our clients are extremely satisfied with the services we offer, and are recommending their friends to signup with our services.

Regardless, you have a valid point - every provider needs to continuously work on the stability of their services provided. It's why we're constantly re-investing our profits into upgrading our infrastructure, rather than using it towards marketing. In the past 90 days we've invested nearly 100k upgrading aging infrastructure, while continuing new cloud build outs for the sake our clients, like the addition of a highly requested Amsterdam location.

For those that like pretty datacenter pictures, here's a little treat with a picture of our 4 new SAN units in our Atlanta location - http://www.screencast.com/users/snic...9-a488a87bbfdd

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    For those that like pretty datacenter pictures, here's a little treat with a picture of our 4 new SAN units in our Atlanta location - http://www.screencast.com/users/snic...9-a488a87bbfdd
    Thats some real fine photography

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    Pretty

OP: FWIW I used VPS.net for a couple of months just recently and only canceled because I switched to a colo machine, didn't have any outages with VPS.net, liked the control panel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Pretty

OP: FWIW I used VPS.net for a couple of months just recently and only canceled because I switched to a colo machine, didn't have any outages with VPS.net, liked the control panel, etc.
    Gordon,

What location were you in?

inogenius a front mug shot would have been a killer.. loved the piccie though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast