hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : Photo Gallery - Cannot Locate What I Need

Forum Jump

Photo Gallery - Cannot Locate What I Need

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Photo Gallery - Cannot Locate What I Need

I have looked through some open source and licensed solutions for a photo gallery. Preferably I would like the photo gallery to fit within a DIV of the webpage, to fit the style and template of the website.

I need a photo gallery capable of different albums controlled through backend.

There are two designs I would be interested in.

1. Filmstrip thumbnail viewer below displayed image.

2. Gallery of thumbnails, on click - expand image in current window (believe that is a js function?)

Thank you all for any and all recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Corporate Member

Coppermine is a very good one, but as standard it does not have the functionality you are looking for. Although there might be addons/plugins to achieve it. You'll have to check out their forums and see if you can find anything interesting.

Another option would be to either put something together with jQuery. Not really difficult anymore nowadays with all the available plugins.

A simple Google search for keywords like 'jquery album' should give you some useful tips.
Here's one of the pages it came up with: http://www.webdesignbooth.com/15-jqu...and-slideshow/

Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

Old 11-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

We've integrated Flickr into Web sites, both custom integration working with their API and using prebuilt WordPress plug-ins (http://speckyboy.com/2008/10/14/10-a...ns-for-flickr/).

If you're a reasonably good programmer (or know someone who is), Flickr does a reasonably good job making its gallery format available for second-party integration. Here's a link to the classes we used as the base for a custom CMS integration - http://phpflickr.com/ - we didn't use them as-is, but there was enough good stuff in there to get us going.

As far as off-the-shelf apps go, Coppermine gets my vote. It's extremely customizable, once you've learned how the theme.php page is put together (until you do, customizing is very limited and can be painful).

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 AM
Web Hosting Master

Try Lightbox 2

Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thank you all for the replies, I ended up using MiniGal Nano (http://www.minigal.dk/). It is packaged with the Lightbox for media. It didnt have all of the backend functions i was hoping to integrate but it certainly got the job done. I just fixed the client up with a separate script for uploading and managing the photos, kind of took care of the need for a backend.