openVZ vs KVM - which is the best?

Hi,

I just want to know if openVZ or KVM virtualization is better, compared by performance (benchmarks,...), for a VPS?!

(although openVZ is the most used one, it doesn't mean it's the best solution! :-) )

edit: e.g. If I have an openVZ VPS with 1 gb RAM and 2gb burstable RAM and a KVM VPS with 2gb RAM.

What are you going to host, it would be better to find a solution which fits YOUR needs.
    █ Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    █ Software Engineer @ Protocol Labs | Filecoin Saturn

OpenVZ provides OS-level virtualization and can provide lower overheads if well managed. KVM is more comparable to Xen where (essentially) machine-virtualization is employed that provides more flexibility at small performance penalty.

So.. it depends on what you are trying to achieve
    Exceptional VPS Hosting. With love, 6sync.

OpenVZ will be faster than KVM. What are you looking to host?

Quote Originally Posted by [JSH]John View Post
    OpenVZ will be faster than KVM. What are you looking to host?
    Yes, OpenVZ is a much lighter containerized virtualization and will always preform better than an equivalent solution running under full HVM such as KVM/Xen/VMware under equivalent conditions (meaning assuming one host isn't oversold out the wazoo relative to another

The tradeoff for this extra performance is there are certain things you won't be able to do under OpenVZ, such as run a custom kernel. But for the vast majority of purposes the performance benefits of OpenVZ far outweigh it's limitations (of which many won't be impacted by anyway).
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

For high density go for openvz as it's kernel level virtualization so faster than xen/kvm.

If you no need a kernel module support in your application go to openvz.
    24x7 PROACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

openvz and kvm are not the same thing. It is difficult to compare software level virtualization to virtualization which creates real separation and hardware based containers. I would not choose one or the other. I would choose the right one for the right job. For example - take a monster massive physical node and split it up into several smaller nodes - then use something like openvz within those nodes. right tool for the right job..
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Thx so far.
    I just need a VPS. Now I need about 800mb of RAM and I've found VPSs virtualized with KVM (e.g hetzner

Thx so far.
    I just need a VPS. Now I need about 800mb of RAM and I've found VPSs virtualized with KVM (e.g hetzner.de), but all others are using openVZ.
    The only difference (if i'm spending the same money would be the RAM - as mentioned above.

edit: sorry for the double posts above - pressed the post button ob my iPhone, but thought it hadn't been sent bc I canceled the loading...