hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : openVZ vs KVM - which is the best?

Forum Jump

openVZ vs KVM - which is the best?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

openVZ vs KVM - which is the best?

Hi,

I just want to know if openVZ or KVM virtualization is better, compared by performance (benchmarks,...), for a VPS?!

(although openVZ is the most used one, it doesn't mean it's the best solution! :-) )

edit: e.g. If I have an openVZ VPS with 1 gb RAM and 2gb burstable RAM and a KVM VPS with 2gb RAM.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

What are you going to host, it would be better to find a solution which fits YOUR needs.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

OpenVZ provides OS-level virtualization and can provide lower overheads if well managed. KVM is more comparable to Xen where (essentially) machine-virtualization is employed that provides more flexibility at small performance penalty.

So.. it depends on what you are trying to achieve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Web Hosting Master

OpenVZ will be faster than KVM. What are you looking to host?

Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Virtually Flawless ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JSH]John View Post
OpenVZ will be faster than KVM. What are you looking to host?
Yes, OpenVZ is a much lighter containerized virtualization and will always preform better than an equivalent solution running under full HVM such as KVM/Xen/VMware under equivalent conditions (meaning assuming one host isn't oversold out the wazoo relative to another

The tradeoff for this extra performance is there are certain things you won't be able to do under OpenVZ, such as run a custom kernel. But for the vast majority of purposes the performance benefits of OpenVZ far outweigh it's limitations (of which many won't be impacted by anyway).

Follow us on Twitter

Old 11-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Web Hosting Master

For high density go for openvz as it's kernel level virtualization so faster than xen/kvm.

USA|EUROPE|Offshore Hosting services |VPS|VPN|Openvpn|Squids|Dedicated servers.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Web Hosting Master

If you no need a kernel module support in your application go to openvz.

Call us : (0091) 471-3273-211 , Contact Sales - sales@syslint.com

Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 AM
Location = SoapBox

openvz and kvm are not the same thing. It is difficult to compare software level virtualization to virtualization which creates real separation and hardware based containers. I would not choose one or the other. I would choose the right one for the right job. For example - take a monster massive physical node and split it up into several smaller nodes - then use something like openvz within those nodes. right tool for the right job..

Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thx so far.
I just need a VPS. Now I need about 800mb of RAM and I've found VPSs virtualized with KVM (e.g hetzner

Old 11-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thx so far.
I just need a VPS. Now I need about 800mb of RAM and I've found VPSs virtualized with KVM (e.g hetzner.de), but all others are using openVZ.
The only difference (if i'm spending the same money would be the RAM - as mentioned above.

edit: sorry for the double posts above - pressed the post button ob my iPhone, but thought it hadn't been sent bc I canceled the loading...