View Poll Results: What do you recommend?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • vBulletin (VB)

1 16.67%
  • Invision (IPB)

5 83.33%

* IPB and vBulletin

Hello,

I am considering may a convert from vBulletin to IPB, though, before I come to any major conclusions I would like to know from the community which you see fit better within the hosting industry.

I have heard from a few webmasters that IPB uses less in terms of memory as opposed to the vBulletin counterpart, and a few other variences between the two. Perferably I'd like a board that is not going to cause so much hassles in the event that it did pick up in members.

What have you experienced from the two and which would you recommend based on a VPS platform, though, based in a shared environment?

I am looking at terms of speed, performance, load issues (if any) between the two. I understand many like vBulletin over IPB and vice versa, though, generally I am looking at making the wise choice of to stay or to convert

Thank you.
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 11-23-2010 at 11:03 PM.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Hi,

For years I used to run a fairly busy forum (>1 mil hits/mo) and I used IPB. What I liked about IPB was the low server load and relatively low bandwidth usage (I was with a smaller host and I was one of their biggest clients at the time). I have heard that vBulletin is very intensive on its PHP usage (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and depending on how busy your VPS is, that could be a deciding factor for you.

Many forum solutions nowadays all look similar and have similar features. For me, IPB seemed to be a good choice and I kept with it. It was able to handle the demands of my users without a problem with no real maintenance required (not that vBulletin can't, look at this board for example). It also had many options to modify it to add features to suit your needs.

I'm sure that you would be happy with either.

I personally prefer IPB has it has a more professional UI. I have found the conversion from vB to IPB to be kind of difficult how ever. I was disappointed in vB 4

As far as Forums go, VB is the gold standard.

I've added a poll

Alright so there is some debate on the overall expectations - only expected. I really did like the 3.8 version of vBulletin, though, there are some aspects I do not like about the newer release of v4, it seems a little slower than the earlier versions and I am not sure if that comes down to the enhancements to effects or what?

IPB is very nice, it is simple, it's elegant - however, I do not like it standard form. So there is bits of each I am not happy about but both are quite good in general.

I am still tossing which way to go, new dsign is coming and I need to act fast if I want to know where I want to end up.

Many forum solutions nowadays all look similar and have similar features. For me, IPB seemed to be a good choice and I kept with it. It was able to handle the demands of my users without a problem with no real maintenance required (not that vBulletin can't, look at this board for example). It also had many options to modify it to add features to suit your needs.
    I like the forms of MyBB, IPB does a good job from what I understand whilst maintaining lower bandwidth and consumption and this may just be the better way to go.

I appreciate you entire input, will surely help in my decision making.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

I *much* prefer IPB especially from the administrative side of things.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,800 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.