Linode: How good are they?

How good are they? Anyone have any current or recent experience knowledge with them? They have some pretty good prices going on(IMO)

Last time I tried them they had ultra fast I/O but slow network.

I don't see where they have good prices...

So I prefer Vultr, it's cheaper, faster (for me) and they have many more locations to choose from.

My two cents.

Linode has a very consistent service, powerful and reliable hardware and in location i use (UK) the network and DC has rarely had an issue in 4 years - Telecity London with Telecity Blended bandwidth product.

Indeed, Linode pricing is very good, you can't compare against all the crappy openvz/virtuzzo overzold hosts and low-end Xen/KVM summer hosts, or hosts with silly TOS of do not use CPU for more than 0.9 load for more 15 minutes yada yada apples and oranges as they say

However, for a company that markets themselves at techs and developers this doesnt show through in their product, for example two days ago their DNS Manager had a a system wide issue where updates were not propagating from the UI database to the nameserves (both on existing and new zones).

The first hurdle was getting the tech to accept there was a problem, usual crap about propagation and TTL, however eventually I managed to explain direct query against ns1 should yield the relevant result (after 15 minutes update delay noted in control panel).. an 1hr later we've got the problem accepted, no ETA but about 2hr later problem is finally fixed. I enquire about how/what/why, an ideal time to yield some transparency and explain why it wont happen again, nada, "its fixed and thats that no more info" (paraphrasing).. Also no status page updates (Linode Manager showing as operational throughout the incident), no credit (wasted morning unable to migrate site), and worse for me no real explanation.

Ill continue using Linode for this client however future one's I'd feel more comfortable with HostVirtual or AWS (for different reasons) or DO if requiring Singapore location.
    MattF - Since the start..

They're my go-to provider for production sites. They have hourly billing so why not spin one up for an hour and test them out?

The price for Linode isn't bad, you're not just buying the VPS but you're buying the peace of mind that Linode will be there tomorrow.

Lots of no-name and new start up hosts can offer you more for less, go that route if you wish to roll the dice and see what comes of it. Linode however seems to have proven themselves to be pretty reliable and a good option for production sites.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

If you are want to use their node for developing purpose that will be greatest thing for you.
    AdroitSSD LLC - Incredible™ Hosting Platform| In Business Since 2012 | 24/7 Real Support
    Pure SSD Hosting - 90 Days Moneyback Guarantee! | LiteSpeed + LSCache | 99.95% Uptime | CloudLinux
    SSD KVM VPS - INTENSE™ DDOS Protection |1 Gbit port Speed | LiteSpeed & Softaculous License

We are using their Atlanta location with 256mb of varnish cache to serve our Argentina based customers and could not be happier.

got one un-managed vps 3 years now and not even once my sites went down or had any issues.
    Highly recommend them!!

Although we are quite recent customers we had "one" registered event which was monitored by a web called uptime robot. After some "digging" our admin told us it was him the one causing downtime by restarting Varnish and web server.
    So experience is still super good.
    TBH I doubted it was THIS good. We have better speed than with local provider . We had about 10 ms to them ( local provider) and they even used Varnish also but it was a shared env.

I've been a client for 6+ years. They're extremely reliable. I've never had to submit a support ticket.

I very rarely experience any negative network performance as described by FredQc and I have two nodes. One is in Fremont and the other is in Atlanta.

Fremont is with HE? Odd they didn't have issues there since for example buyvm retired from there because of the outages.

I hear nothing but good things about Linode. They are definitely a quality provider from what I've heard.
    BitronicTech Affordable Hosting and VPS Since 2007. Check out my Blog.
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee. 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. 24/7/365 Support.
    cPanel/WHM - CloudLinux - Varnish - CloudFlare - Softaculous - Daily Shared Hosting Backups

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    Fremont is with HE? Odd they didn't have issues there since for example buyvm retired from there because of the outages.
    Linode has been moving all of their users to FMT2 with all their upgrades. As far as I know all of their new nodes are over there and they mentioned having a 10gig cross connect between their locations.

EGI pulled almost fully, if not fully, out, as did a lot of other people during all of the issues in FMT1.

We weren't with direct HE anyway and moved with them when they asked.

Francisco

Thx for clearing this up Fran!
    Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MannDude View Post
    The price for Linode isn't bad, you're not just buying the VPS but you're buying the peace of mind that Linode will be there tomorrow..
    Well, I disagree,
    - Linode is a real company.
    - Other low-end hosts usually are not real companies.

Peace of mind is secondary to this fact. That's what causes "peace of mind".

Realize it's a no-frills service. That's what you're paying for, and that's what you get.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Linode is a hassle - I like them! (How many times do you see that in one line)

One thing I find ultra hard to get is dedicated IP's with them even just one for an additional nameserver... They would not budge on letting me have two for cpanel dns (insisting just to A name the same IP for the two entries so I ended up booting up two extra servers putting cpanel dns only (which is really what you should do but hey who are they to tell me that I can't have host dns locally) - god knows what they will be like should you need an multiple SSLs on a box...

So in short not so flash for web hosting - I played around with mifos with them the linode had no issues on a 2gb plan.
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

hey would not budge on letting me have two for cpanel dns (insisting just to A name the same IP for the two entries so I ended up booting up two extra servers putting cpanel dns only (which is really what you should do but hey who are they to tell me that I can't have host dns locally) - god knows what they will be like should you need an multiple SSLs on a box...
    That's seems completely fair, it's a waste of an IP for no additional benefit, not to mention an anti-pattern and complete rejection of the idea behind DNS being fault tolerant, you somewhat admit this yourself so I dont see where any justification exists. Looks like Linode as a side-effect are doing their bit to curtail cowboy cpanel hosts. Ive just migrated a client from $150pm host who had ns1 and ns2 pointing to the same server (different IPs though), confirmed by ssh key of ns1/ns2 being the same (the alternative way this could happen doesnt bear thinking about), frustrating, its about time this crap stops!
    Last edited by MattF; 08-17-2014 at 03:28 AM.
    MattF - Since the start..

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    Looks like Linode as a side-effect are doing their bit to curtail cowboy cpanel hosts.
    Had to laugh at that I'm not even disgruntled just a shock they declined me off the bat, first for everything

It really is just a culture at the end of the day.
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups