* Ridiculous hosting commitments

Hello,
    I am writing a new blog post regarding "ridiculous hosting commitments"

what are ridiculous hosting commitments?

1- Unlimited space for $5
    Now I am wondering why google is spending billions to host it's infrastructure, hosting X provides that for $5

2- Unlimited bandwidth for $5
    Unless you are creating an online video platform, what the hell will you do with unlimited bandwidth?

3- Unlimited mail accounts for $5
    Unless your plan is not to compete with gmail (with $5 monthly budget) what will you do with unlimited accounts?

Can you please help me to complete this blog post by giving me more crazy hosting commitments or leaving comments flavored with black comedy for those 3 commitments listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by cagatay View Post

2- Unlimited bandwidth for $5
    Unless you are creating an online video platform, what the hell will you do with unlimited bandwidth?
    I presume you are talking about the bandwidth allowance and not network speeds.

But Unlimited Bandwidth is something that most end users will look for, especially if comparing 2 similar hosts, if one has unlimited included, why not take it? While a lot of people probably dont specifically look for it, quite a lot of hosts, my own company included, can and do provide it free of charge as part of the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by cagatay View Post
    3- Unlimited mail accounts for $5
    Unless your plan is not to compete with gmail (with $5 monthly budget) what will you do with unlimited accounts?
    To be honest, there shouldnt be a problem with this... If you end up selling your hosting to someone that wants to be able to say use your service for their company's email network or a school email network, having no limit on the amount of accounts is fair enough. Agreed normally you wont find it included for $5, but on the higher price plans I would expect to either have a fairly large amount or unlimited, especially if its locally hosted emails using cPanel / WHM.

With regards to disk space I do 100% agree, mainly because it *should* be technically impossible for a company to provide this service. Any "Unlimited" providers will 9 times out of 10 have some sort of Acceptable Use type thing that says that you can actually only have X amount of files / folders or XGB of data.
    Ryan Wild - Superior-Networks Founding Director
    Superior-Networks, Amazing Quality VPS hosting at amazing prices.
    99.8% SLA on all services | Fast Support Teams
    Powerful CPU's | Build Your Own Plans | No Long term contracts.

The thing is, when you read their TOS, you find out that they don't allow video files (doesn't have to be illegal), sound files, software distributing (even legal ones) and can't exceed total number of 50000 files, etc... then what is the purpose of writing "UNLIMITED" space and bandwidth in big letters?

When it comes to email, same applies.. they limit total number of daily emails sent (varies from 250 to 1000) and the cumulative space whole accounts can use (20 gb in most cases), then what is the purpose of offering "UNLIMITED" email accounts.

I did not create this topic to argue hosting company policies. But, I find it funny when a $5/month hosting mentions about it plans like they sell something which fulfills all hosting needs.

They offer something which is quite limited.. and it is not ethical and honest to sell a product/service based on bullshits. but as I told I m not here to discuss their policies.

I just want to write about it.

We tell our customers the following: have you ever see an unlimited space hard disk? It doesn't exist nor are unlimited space/bandwidth plans really true. I think email policies should be described thoroughly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by babypurin View Post
    We tell our customers the following: have you ever see an unlimited space hard disk? It doesn't exist nor are unlimited space/bandwidth plans really true. I think email policies should be described thoroughly as well.
    even scientists argue that the space(the universe) might be limited.
    hard disk is a good argument, I will use that. thanks.

Web hosting has move slightly from disk/data/features being irrelevant anymore as a consumer you should be contacting sales reading terms and see what the real limits are from cpu usage to virtual ram these are the new factors and this has really been fueled by cloudlinux targetting webhosts.

You can have unlimited bandwidth but your mysql is getting slammed with too many connections (because the limit is 10 concurrent or something) theirs no real point having unlimited data.
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

Quote Originally Posted by respite View Post
    You can have unlimited bandwidth but your mysql is getting slammed with too many connections (because the limit is 10 concurrent or something) theirs no real point having unlimited data.
    This is very true

I agree with space and bandwidth, but it's not really unreasonable to offer unlimited email addresses.

Unlimited mails, sure....but there really is no decent reason to limit the amount of addresses people can create since it's still based on the same limit of how many emails they can send per day.

The unlimited thing comes up on WHT so much you should write the blog on how ridiculous it is. There are limits on ALL unlimited plans when you read the TOS, it is marketing term and if you believe selling 100GB disk/bandwidth for $5 you are crazy. I'd rather seem unlimited than the ridiculous offers you see here on space/bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by kris1351 View Post
    The unlimited thing comes up on WHT so much you should write the blog on how ridiculous it is. There are limits on ALL unlimited plans when you read the TOS, it is marketing term and if you believe selling 100GB disk/bandwidth for $5 you are crazy. I'd rather seem unlimited than the ridiculous offers you see here on space/bandwidth.
    Aren't providers prohibited from advertising 'unlimited' plans on WHT?
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHarrison View Post
    Aren't providers prohibited from advertising 'unlimited' plans on WHT?
    Restriction was lifted earlier in the year, WHT finally realised that its not about the gb's anymore...
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

Unlimited is just a term and always regulated by TOS. We have several hosting accounts over 15 GB, we allow some video but obviously not youtube on a shared hosting environment. A lot of the accounts have 4 or 5 gb of space being use by just mail alone.