How many US based company disallow orders from some countries?

Hello everyone,

I know at least one such company: Enom.com (Demand Media) restrict all users with Russian ip's Russia from making payment. Stupid situation that they do not restrict registration account from Russia in the same time. Within a many years (if i not wrong - from 2003-2004) each time when we try refill our balance we've got same note that current ip is not allowed to making orders.
    Sure i understand that fraud is big worldwide problem but is it true that orders coming from Russia always is fraud orders? Within so many years?
    I could tell to them that it is the form of nation discrimination and nothing more. As temporary solution to prevent massive fraud/ddos/spam attack that restriction could be confirmed but leaving permanent block for years and years?
    Do you, people, think that it is good practice for the Internet?

PS. Sure i do not want discuss here any sanction case. Sanction is law action on government level and citizens must follow local law.
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

Have a read of this recent thread.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1191867

It'll give you a number of opinions on why people restrict certain countries. As you might expect it's generally for fraud/abuse, but blocking country x isn't usually saying 'everybody from country x is a fraudster' it's normally more a case that the number of genuine orders against the number of fraudulent is so small that it costs less (mostly in man hours) to deny all, rather than pick though many to be left with the odd genuine client.

Quote Originally Posted by rustelekom View Post
    Hello everyone,

I know at least one such company: Enom.com (Demand Media) restrict all users with Russian ip's Russia from making payment. Stupid situation that they do not restrict registration account from Russia in the same time. Within a many years (if i not wrong - from 2003-2004) each time when we try refill our balance we've got same note that current ip is not allowed to making orders.
    Sure i understand that fraud is big worldwide problem but is it true that orders coming from Russia always is fraud orders? Within so many years?
    I could tell to them that it is the form of nation discrimination and nothing more. As temporary solution to prevent massive fraud/ddos/spam attack that restriction could be confirmed but leaving permanent block for years and years?
    Do you, people, think that it is good practice for the Internet?

PS. Sure i do not want discuss here any sanction case. Sanction is law action on government level and citizens must follow local law.
    You went a little wild on your Tags for the post. 'Racism' seriously?
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

When here in Russia entity do not allow someone come into some place, affected person could sue that entity. And if reason was "You are Russian (Ukrainian, Chechen or name any other nationality) and we would not like see you here" - in most case he will win. Because that is some form of discrimination.
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

I get customers by referral only and only work for US customers.

To be honest, just about any sort of generalization is a form of discrimination because you are making an overall assumption based on a few people or things. So, to answer your question rustelekom, yes it is discrimination. However, Enom management may have done so to avoid any further loss in business to them. It may have been the ideal situation due to the volume of fraud orders they were receiving. You might be one "good guy" in a pond of "bad guys" who place orders with Enom. It's a very unfortunate situation but that is their policy at the moment.

By the way, even gateway providers does it. eg With Google Checkout, the flat out tell you that you would be charged a higher interest rate for international cards accepted on your behalf. Not many people pay attention to it but I think the interest is about 1% higher than their usual rate for international cards. Also, Authorize.net would not protect you for international / non-us cards accepted either. All those are a form of discrimination but it is standard practice when looking at the numbers and doing business whether online or offline.
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room