After getting a lot of info, I'm down to a few last items
    It looks as though I will start with hostgator
    if I get too much activity will they just shut me down or give me the option to get the right type of account?
    Is there any fees I could get hit with outside of the monthly cost?
    after several days of reading posts it seems that there is the possiblity of being shut down and getting billed super high fees.
    As I have no knowledge of this business I am at the mercy of (in this case hostgator)
    any last tips?

CyberWebHosting Guest
    Every time I go to buy hosting from them I pick the 5$ plan and it comes out to 9 thats a hidden fee

they won't give you an option to upgrade, they'll most likely shut you down and when YOU contact them, they'll probably tell you what to do.
    and I don't think hostgator has any hidden fees of any kind
    and what are you trying to host? You may actually get a better deal going with another host who doesn't oversell their resources so you actually know how much space and bandwidth you can actually use without having to worry about your account getting suspended.

No disrespect but after several days of reading here and you plump for HostGator then I'm confused

There are no hidden fees you can hit on the shared hosting accounts as Hostgator as they are a "unlimited" provider.
    Regarding to much activity on your account, your account will be suspended when: 7. Resource Usage User may not: a) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc. source: http://hostgator.com/tos.shtml
    Hostgator puts pretty high restrictions on your website along with things such as a SQL connection limit which is also mentioned in the TOS as well as a INODES limit. Hitting these limits will just make your website start returning an error page.
    If you believe you have done all of the research you need to and have decided on HostGator, that is fine. Understand that you can use no where near the "unlimited" space or "unlimited" bandwidth as they promise. Unlimited hosting is false advertising, as eventually you will hit a limit. HostGator has their service setup however so you will probably hit their resource usage or INODES usage restrictions before you actually hit their bandwidth or space limits. All in all... if your website is very small, you should be safe. HostGator wasn't a provider I chose to keep my websites on as they grew because of this. They seem to really hamper growth with their restrictions. I would recommend a bit more searching to be honest...

CyberWebHosting Guest
    Thanks for that post admin, but it is like ahidden fee for me.

hmm...well I guess back to reading
    to answer some questions...
    I'm looking to do a site similar to this: http://www.chrisguitars.com/
    lots of pics, I may make some quick videos (2 min or so, low rez with sound) to link.
    hostgator keeps getting recommended for those starting ( one of the few recommended by name) if someone could recommend say 3 hostproviders for me to research....mainly looking for low month to month to get a handle on traffic/growth and then spring for a year or so prepay to get the bast bang for the buck
    I have no idea for the size or amount of hosting I need, there a quite a few companies that sell items like I want too, but I just want a text only loading 1st page with hyper links to pic and clips. To make it fast loading and in the example provided -- if you are not interested in the decription then no need to click the hyperlink===keeps things moving quickly I would guess that it cuts down on space needed
    the volume ( number of hits) I'm not sure of ...I'm guessing low at 1st then growing and I would like to scale up as needed with no interuption.
    thanks again

for videos if they are going to be small, you could just use a video share site like youtube to upload there and then just embedding it - this way you won't need ffmpeg enabled on the server and you'll save a lot of bandwidth when the visitor count is rising.
    and to get the good deal with hostgator, you will have to prepay for for 3 years, not really your regular month to month low cost thing

thanks njoker555,
    thats the plan...using utube for the videos...I'd like to land on a hostprovider asap....doing the videos later

thanks njoker555,
    thats the plan...using utube for the videos...I'd like to land on a hostprovider asap....doing the videos later
    at least you have some things figured out Now it's just a matter of finding the host that suits you best and a host that will be able to help you when you need it with your site.
    Good luck with everything then.

Just an advice: When in doubt, rule it out

if someone could recommend say 3 hostproviders for me to research....mainly looking for low month to month to get a handle on traffic/growth and then spring for a year or so prepay to get the bast bang for the buck
    1- Westhost
    2- Downtownhost
    3- Futurequest
    Editd to add:There are more

thanks njoker555,
    After taking a look at what you want to do, you shouldn't have a problem with most providers suspending your account - especially if you're putting the videos up through Youtube.
    However, if you want the best reliability you may want to avoid hosts that offer "unlimited" space/bandwidth - those hosts typically oversell/overload servers.