Abovenet routing

Has anyone noticed strange routes on ABVT lately? I live in NJ and most of my routes go through NYC... except for ABVT. Their routes go through WDC, for some reason. Is ABVT always this crappy? I get much better routing through XO, and that's saying something.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    Has anyone noticed strange routes on ABVT lately? I live in NJ and most of my routes go through NYC... except for ABVT. Their routes go through WDC, for some reason. Is ABVT always this crappy? I get much better routing through XO, and that's saying something.
    You didn't state the destination of the traffic, so how can we assume it's "crappy"? Did you consider various maintenance schedules?

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    You didn't state the destination of the traffic, so how can we assume it's "crappy"? Did you consider various maintenance schedules?
    This has been going on for months. It doesn't matter what the destination is, everything is routed from WDC and not NYC. Considering I'm less than 30 miles outside of NYC, this doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Even if the server is in NYC, ABVT routes me to WDC and back to NYC.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Traffic from your home in nj to NYC going via wdc would be your ISP making the route decision.... No? What do you see if you trace from the NY server to your home in nj? No wdc Im guessing?

Most likely your ISP is peering with abovenet in wdc or something like that. Hard to guess without seeing complete routes back and forth.

Your outbound has nothing to do with Abovenet and everything to do with YOUR home ISP.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Ive actually been seeing non-optimal routes via above.net in LA as well. Most of the time it routes through northern california/sanjose area outbound and inbound so 20ms latency to a local server instead of <3ms like it should be.