Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* List of all web hosting companies in the US?

Hey Guys,

I'm currently conducting a research project and I am looking for a list of all (or the 500 largest) web hosting companies in the United States.

I came across webhosting.info but they only show TOP50 worldwide; do you happen to know where I can find this data?

Best,
    - Samir

I would suggest using Google, find a list of all web hosting companies is basically impossible.

You won't be able to find all, I suppose you could go through ads, ask people on the forums, ie. Though, cannot say I've seen a place for all top 100.

Hostgator you may as well class as large. Is this just webhosting companies with hosting or hosting and domains?
    l Dedigeeks • Shared • Wordpress • Dedicated • Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider • Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com • Managing Director • Service Superstars

The list sold at www.hosterstats.com might be of help. Top domain registrars, unfortunately, will some up as the biggest hosts, simply because they park so many domains.

Top 500 might be hard to get. Especially, since a lot of host don’t provide exact figures. The info you are getting from webhosting.info just simply counts the domains that are being pointed to them. Which doesn’t mean the amount of actual people they are in business with (if that matters to your data).
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

http://www.webhostingstuff.com lists hosting providers based on their popularity from their website if you do a bit of digging, and although they don't specifically have to go hand in hand, you can get a general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    The list sold at www.hosterstats.com might be of help. Top domain registrars, unfortunately, will some up as the biggest hosts, simply because they park so many domains.
    Seems like it's down to me
    l Dedigeeks • Shared • Wordpress • Dedicated • Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider • Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com • Managing Director • Service Superstars

Might as well list all the people in America, then just pull out the two or three that aren't web hosts.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

Seems like it's down to me
    Works fine for me at this point in time.

Wow, with over 600,000 web hosting and domain companies this is a big undertaking. I'll keep my eye open for your data. The top 500 you say. OK!
    Hostmy1stweb.com - Affordable Web Hosting
    HOSTING l SSL l DOMAINS l MODULES l SUBMISSIONS l AFFILIATES

Providing low cost "Value" Hosting since 1999

You could try to use the Alexa Rank as a way to get the top 500 web host in the US. I don't not know if you can sort it like that but it's worth a shot.

I don't see how you could form a list in my opinion.

It will be a challenge that I would not like to take on. But god luck to you.

Your effort is synonymous to measuring weight of every single sand particle on beaches of America :-)
    It is simply impossible to get a list of "ALL" web host in USA since hundreds of them come up every month, and most of them small size hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by sbbcorp View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm currently conducting a research project and I am looking for a list of all (or the 500 largest) web hosting companies in the United States.

I came across webhosting.info but they only show TOP50 worldwide; do you happen to know where I can find this data?

Best,
    - Samir
    You can search by country too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by qtriangle View Post
    Your effort is synonymous to measuring weight of every single sand particle on beaches of America :-)
    Sad but true!
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING

Quote Originally Posted by qtriangle View Post
    It is simply impossible to get a list of "ALL" web host in USA since hundreds of them come up every month, and most of them small size hosts.
    Thousands actually.
    These are the 01 November figures:

Total hosters in Asia/Mobi/Biz/Info/Org/Net/Ie/Com: 1,350,444
    1 domain hosted: 850,004
    2-9: 274,834
    10-49: 155,078
    50-99: 32,042
    100-499: 29,174
    500-999: 4,226
    1000-4999: 3,694
    5000-9999: 567
    10,000-49,999: 596
    50,000-99,999: 102
    100,000-499,999: 98
    500,000-999,999: 14
    >= 1 Million: 15

The total hosters tracked from 2000 to 2010 is over 3.8 million. Due to the rise of hosting control panels, the number of one hit wonders (1 domain hosted) has risen. At the end of 2000, there were only 233055 hosters in com/net/org/ie. Things have grown considerably since then.

Also the large hosters will often have more than one brand of nameservers. This means that they can appear a number of times in these lists but the parent company will own all of these operations.

Regards...jmcc
    Last edited by jmccormac; 11-27-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    http://www.hosterstats.com
    Domain History Search and Webhoster Statistics.
    Author of "Domnomics - the business of domain names".

Quote Originally Posted by jmccormac View Post
    These are the 01 November figures:
    Incredible stats, jmccormac, thank you for sharing.

Rick
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING

http://webhosting.info/ has useful information as well.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    http://webhosting.info/ has useful information as well.
    Is their info credible? especially this http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/globalstats/ ?

Dunno, but it's not that hard to believe that the USA is the leader when it comes to hosting, most of the hosts I see advertised seem to be US based

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMK3OC View Post
    Dunno, but it's not that hard to believe that the USA is the leader when it comes to hosting, most of the hosts I see advertised seem to be US based
    Agree, but the numbers are too low.

There are certainly millions of providers offering hosting based off of a reseller account at a larger provider - all of which would be counted as a part of that large provider and not as their own separate entity.

HostGator for example:
    http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/...itewelcome.com

Also make sure to read this: http://www.webhosting.info/about/technology/

Quote Originally Posted by Source: http://www.webhosting.info/about/technology/
    Methodology and Limitations
    WebHosting.Info is a patent-pending process invented by Bhavin Turakhia, a result of 2 years of extensive research and development. It employs several key technologies to generate comprehensive reports of unprecedented accuracy and quality, by processing data collected using public domain tools and utilities. The data processing is also based on various assumptions. These assumptions may lead to certain limitations in the report. Following are the assumptions and limitations of our process: (read the rest at the source).
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

If you are looking for companies that provide hosting services that does seem to be an impossible list to compile. You would never even find them all. Especially the desigh companies (like mine) that only provide hosting for the web sites they build.

Now if you are looking to build a list of the companies that actually have servers and are not just resellers that list is probably doable. I would guess on 50 to 100.

Companies like Hostgator would not qualify as they are Resellers. Just on a larger scale.

So when you buy servers from them Softlayer is the actual provider.

Not to mention...the list would grow and then shrink by 1/3 every start / end of summer.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast