FDC / Hostmania / any other unmetered bandwidth provider?

I know quite a few non profitable organizations and they are very much in need of bandwidth for their organization to do their projects and so.

As of that, I have planned to sponsor them instead of charging them since they are non profitable organization. However, one thing is bothering me is that bandwidth is pretty expensive. Therefore I have looked into FDC / Hostmania as they offer unmetered traffic. But recently reading the posts pertaining to them weren't very promising as people complaining that their bandwidth was actually capped.

Anyone has any experience with them on bandwidth? Correct me if I got it wrongly and is there any reasonable pricing yet average bandwidth quality around in the market?

Thanks!

I am currently on FDC and they are not bad at all for Bandwidth here in the Topics and post alot of people here do not like them and I thin I have been down about twice for maybe three min's max over the month.... Thats my opinion and two cents and i fyou have any issues with your BW they will look into it and fix it so you are getting your mim of 4mb/s

Thanks,
    FJR

Yipes has gone to the dogs, just use XO, it is very cheap, and one of the best.
    Send all e-mail to
    abuse@spews.org

XO?

Hmm, I need colocation, not pipeline to my house

Well, XO? They have unmetered 10mbit port?

www.rackforce.com will put you on an unmetered T1 for $99/month

T1 is way too little, need something more!

frattay22: anytime you have more than 4mbit downloads constantly?

Or it will be just capped at 4mbit and no way you gonna exceed the so-called overage traffic is FREE?

wheimeng: I have one server at FDC (with 4mbps min) and I'm able to push more than 6,5mbps with this box so your statement that they cap you at 4mbps is wrong...

if you're around WHT a lot, you know i always post here in the FDC threads. i've been a customer now for quite a few months, 5?, and i have not been down once, aside from maybe a 'hiccup' where i was unable to access my server for about 2 minutes or so.

I'm on their 8Mb plan with a 1Mb cogent back and i'm colocating a server with them. over the past 30 days, i've transferred over my 8Mb of allotteed bandwidth. during the working hours here in the states, FDC can get brutally slow sometimes. usually i can average around 400kB/sec - 600kB/sec MAX during these hours. outside of primetime though, i can easily push multi-megabytes per second.

FDC is a decent company if you remember that you're paying an extreamly low price for the bandwidth you're being offered, so when it takes a few hours for support, or a lil longer to fix the packet loss problem (which is happening now), those are the tradeoffs for the extreamly cheap service.

Originally posted by blobby
    FDC is a decent company if you remember that you're paying an extreamly low price for the bandwidth you're being offered, so when it takes a few hours for support, or a lil longer to fix the packet loss problem (which is happening now), those are the tradeoffs for the extreamly cheap service.
    Well put. Dont expect rackspace (the company) from FDC.

Well said. They give you a lot for your $. Complaining about them is stupid IMHO.

yes. if you really dont like them. put together a business plan to run them out of business. thats a better thing to do

heheh agreed to all those statments (four)

I see, well I just wanted to know if they were able to put up the speed or was pure marketing strategies.

Thanks for clearing things up. So it sounds like FDC is quite decent for speed. BTW, anyone has experience with hostmania?

FDC is not decent for speed, do a search. Hostmania offers similar prices and services to FDC. Hostmania's network is much better, including the peering they have. MFN/Abovenet (Hostmania!), sweeps FDC's network quite easily. Not to mention Hostmania isnt totally bogged down like FDC

FDC is not decent for speed, do a search. Hostmania offers similar prices and services to FDC. Hostmania's network is much better, including the peering they have. MFN/Abovenet (Hostmania!), sweeps FDC's network quite easily. Not to mention Hostmania isnt totally bogged down like FDC
    Ditto.

I believe hostmania can easily beat FDC, however I dare not going with them as I have not heard of any feedback on HM.