Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Originally posted by Ryan Elledge
    And plenty who do!
    Agreed.

People don't like change, but change is sometimes a neccessary evil. I don't think anyone would like ANYTHING that was presented in front of them..that's just the way people are. We went through the same thing with the old redesign..remember?
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

New look

Is it too early in the morning or no one has noticed the new WHT forum style yet? It's still the same when posting though. :-/
    ML
    ... from the beginning.

I think you're a couple days late on this one.

And now everything is back to normal?? Same old look.
    ML
    ... from the beginning.

I have my profile set to use the old theme, so after logging in I couldn't see the new themes any more. That's also why I never notice the new look... oh well.
    ML
    ... from the beginning.

so there really is no new look? Or am I missing out on something here?
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your comments, good and bad. Sorry for just now responding, but I don’t usually go to the forums when I am not at work. I will be making a few modifications today to hopefully make a few more of you happy, but I can’t make you all happy. You can never make everyone happy; I truly believe that is impossible. That is why, and Ryan pointed this out, we are keeping the old skin available to those who still want to use it.

It’s pretty obvious that most people feel that the “posted in” icon needs to be more obvious. I will do some tweaking to that today, but the icons will remain mostly the same. I don’t feel that they need to look like folders or threads to be useful. They are symbols that once you learn what they mean work perfectly. That is why the legend is on there to help you know what the symbols mean. I will also be adding the “posted in” icons to the legend to help everyone know what they mean.

I will also be doing some CSS tweaking to fix the color of the scrollbar and some other things as well. I agree the scrollbar does not fit, I didn’t notice it till someone mentioned that. As for the use of grey elsewhere in the forum, I think it looks fine. I used the same color scheme as the old skin, just used it in a different way. Grey went with it, so it goes fine with mine as well. I don’t want everything to be blue, as that would be a bit too monotone. The iNET toolbar has to stay the same. It is supposed to look the same on all our sites. It’s not supposed to match the layout that it’s on.

The buttons are going to stay the same too. I felt that old forum’s buttons were well done and they are basic enough to go with any skin. Also, I figured the less that changed the better since most forum users despise change. The old skin used a couple different styles of buttons which looked hodgepodgy. So I made them all the same to make the forum look more consistent.

I can see that I struck a nerve with the “ALT” tag issue. I truly meant no disrespect to anyone that is disabled. I have never worked anywhere that made handicap accessibility a huge priority, that is why I don’t commonly use “ALT” tags. A long time ago I worked for someone that had me use “ALT” tags, but just for search engine optimization purposes. I stopped using them for that purpose and just never starting using them for handicap accessibility purposes. In my mind they were just for SEO or for people who used text based browsers like Lynx. I should make that a priority of my own now, since accessibility for the disabled is important. The new WHT skin’s nav links are text so they only images I needed to add the “ALT” text to were the logo and the arrows at the bottom, so we should be all good now.

...but nonetheless, they served their purpose which was to let forum surfers know very quickly what kind of thread it is.

These new ones you guys have may be new and unique to the site, but they carry little in terms of usability...and well, if any designer chooses to put "uniqueness" over "use", I truly pity them.
    Let me ask, did you need to take lessons to drive?
    It's very easy to see which posts are new, which posts are old, which posts are popular and which aren't. It's also very easy to see which posts are locked. And if you've got very good eyes and a great monitor, you can see which posts you have posted in as well. (I've neither good eyes, nor a great monitor )

and we want a site that we spend over two hours a day surfing on to look decent...
    The new skins looks decent, and is quicker to load than the previous one.

We went through the same thing with the old redesign..remember?
    OMG... lol... I've just realised. I've been using this new skin since it came out, that I cannot even remember what the old skin and the old old skin looks like!!
    Last edited by Acsiak - Andrew; 11-01-2004 at 12:48 PM.

Sorry for just now responding, but I don’t usually go to the forums when I am not at work.
    Don't worry about it.

It’s pretty obvious that most people feel that the “posted in” icon needs to be more obvious. I will do some tweaking to that today, but the icons will remain mostly the same. I don’t feel that they need to look like folders or threads to be useful. They are symbols that once you learn what they mean work perfectly. That is why the legend is on there to help you know what the symbols mean. I will also be adding the “posted in” icons to the legend to help everyone know what they mean.
    Great news about this.
    I totally agree, keep the current icons as they are great, however just make a slight change to the icons to show us which topics we have posted in.

The iNET tool bar has to stay the same. It is supposed to look the same on all our sites. It’s not supposed to match the layout that it’s on.
    Ye didn't mention anything about the problems us Opera users are having!!
    I think the iNET tool bar looks great. However, Opera users are having problems. When you hover over "Choose a Category" at the top, the iNET bar disappears. Any chance of fixing this?

I have never worked anywhere that made handicap accessibility a huge priority
    U.K. law makes it a huge priority now-a-days. You could've be fined. Though, lucky for ye that yer not in the U.K.!

Overall though it seems like the small changes you are planning are very good.
    Hopefully this should please a few more people. The slight change of the "Posted Icon" should make a lot of people very happy, and the ALT change'll make KimmiKat and Erica very happy indeed, I'm sure.

Yeah we know about the Opera issue as well. It must be a bug in the DHTML menu we use. I'll be checking into that as well.

I can see that I struck a nerve with the “ALT” tag issue. I truly meant no disrespect to anyone that is disabled. I have never worked anywhere that made handicap accessibility a huge priority, that is why I don’t commonly use “ALT” tags. A long time ago I worked for someone that had me use “ALT” tags, but just for search engine optimization purposes. I stopped using them for that purpose and just never starting using them for handicap accessibility purposes. In my mind they were just for SEO or for people who used text based browsers like Lynx. I should make that a priority of my own now, since accessibility for the disabled is important. The new WHT skin’s nav links are text so they only images I needed to add the “ALT” text to were the logo and the arrows at the bottom, so we should be all good now.
    Glad to here it greg The more people that start working in this way will help to set a standard.
    James Chillman -UK Backup Limited
    www.ukbackup.com- Online Backup Offsite Backup, Backup Software

Ditto here.

Originally posted by Jamesc
    Glad to here it greg The more people that start working in this way will help to set a standard.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Hi Greg. Those icons are looking better - easier to understand. Here's a small suggestion. It's tough to tell which icon is "lit," the white or the yellow. You have to give them a good look to tell exactly which is which and to what forums/posts they apply. I would consider using a darker color in the center of the no-new-posts icon, maybe a solid darker blue or the new primary WHT blue shade. Then maybe use the white or the yellow for new posts. This would distinguish then better. I like the little corner arrow, btw
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I can see how that would be a bit misleading. I just fixed it.. they are now a light grey.. the blue didn't go well with the "hot" yellow color.

sexy
    John Heslop

Looks better Greg - much easier to tell them apart. I might even consider going with white as the center dot color for new posts. It definitely stood out the most. That or a bright yellow, if it looks good. But this is all minutae at this point.

By the way, thanks for taking our suggestions seriously and understanding our POV when we're talking about design from an accessibility standpoint. I know a lot of developers who would blow off comments such as these or tell the complaining parties to go to hell. I think a lot of people will have a happier WHT experience because you appreciated the responses you got and had the skill to make the changes you felt were necessary out of the feedback you received. You have my gratitude and respect.

NRN
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Yeah we know about the Opera issue as well. It must be a bug in the DHTML menu we use. I'll be checking into that as well.
    Ok. Very good indeed then. Looking forward till it's fixed.

And the icons are now looking great. Very easy to tell apart, and work wonders now. Good job with that.

Seems like everyone is going to be pleased (Or at least all those who said what they believe is wrong with the skin). Good job.

I love the new layout, the only thing I think looked better from the old one is the logo, but other than that, excellent work

i like it.
    it's like when google changed the way they displayed there search engine result pages, in particular the google adwords sponsors.
    you'll just get used to, i already am after a few days.
    much more cleaner.

Am I going crazy? New wht skin?

I just went to wht after I had deleted my cookies, and WHT looked completely different (and by different I mean it looked a lot better )

Anyways, I then logged back in, and the cool skin went back to the old one.

I've been to wht before without cookies, but I dont recall it looking like this.

So I went to the control panel and behold, I had a old skin as the default.
    So my question- How long has this new skin been in play?
    Of is it actually new?

Thanks!
    Jason
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Wow, skins. Who would of known?

Haha, i'm new...

The skin is actually quite old, I'm guessing around a year old or so... If not older.

Then you're looking at the old skin, Hosemeyer.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I think the new skin looks pretty nice

yeh,looks clean, i'm new, so i've tried both, i think the new one looks better.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast