Question Torrent friendly host?

Hey guys, does anyone know a P2P friendly host (torrents specifically)? I'll be using it to seed legal indie video files. No copyrighted material would be hosted on the server nor would I be running a torrent site.

Might setup a tracker for the files however (if permitted). Specs as following:

CPU - don't care
    RAM - 128MB is plenty
    Network - 100mbps is fine (1GB uplink preffered) and 1TB bandwidth
    OS - linux
    Location - U.S ONLY (prefferably east coast)
    HDD - the tricky part, I'd like 100GB+ if possible (I'd most likely pick a low plan with 128MB RAM but upgrade the HDD)

No cap on budget but the cheaper the better I'd only be running 2-3 actual services which are very easy on the CPU and RAM so the only thing I'd really be using up is upload speed and possibly some disk I/O (although I won't be doing a lot of download to it, mostly uploading).

Anyone know any such hosts?
    613websites.comCanadian Hosting and Web Design
    Reliable, fast, customized, and secure hosting!
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Support | Money Back Guarantee
    Visit www.613websites.com or call 1-800-636-1484

What about location? There are a number of hosts that fit your needs I just want to know what location you need.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeksHosts View Post
    What about location? There are a number of hosts that fit your needs I just want to know what location you need.
    He already mentioned the location in his post.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

If U.S East Cost is not an option, somewhere in EU would also be acceptable but I'd still prefer the U.S (cost + network).

My 2 current VPS providers don't even allow legal torrents which I think is stupid....

About EU, any EU country will be good for you or you need it anywhere specific?
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    If U.S East Cost is not an option, somewhere in EU would also be acceptable but I'd still prefer the U.S (cost + network).

My 2 current VPS providers don't even allow legal torrents which I think is stupid....
    I think this is for the i/o load that torrent usually generate..
    Prometeus.com & iperweb.com Hosting Solutions since 1997
    We are LIR (RIPE NCC member) and do BGP with ASN 34971 Multiple gigabit/s network capacity
    iwStack.com IaaS Cloud services

A Kimsufi might be the way to go. Plenty of disk space, no shared IO to worry about and probably much cheaper than you'll pay for a VPS with that much disk. That's assuming France as a location works.

Quote Originally Posted by iperweb View Post
    I think this is for the i/o load that torrent usually generate..
    If I preallocate the disk space, it uses very little I/O speed even if I download...The reason I think they ban all P2P is the risk of copyrighted material.

@abat, yah that' what I am leaning more towards..15 euro for 1TB HDD and unmetered 100mbps for 3TB is crazy....Also, my own server would be better for torrents instead of shared.

Are all their dedi's in France though? I was looking at kimsufi.ie so wouldn't it be in Ireland?

Are all their dedi's in France though? I was looking at kimsufi.ie so wouldn't it be in Ireland?
    All Kimsufi servers are in France (until they open up in Montreal). They have web sites and geo-IPs for various EU contries which is what causes confusion sometimes but tracert to any of them and you'll end up in Roubaix France. OVH (Kimsufi's parent) also has servers in Strasbourg.

You've never received massive amounts of scripted MediaSentry emails over somebody seeding / downloading a torrent because the IP was seen in tracker. Any provider will look to prohibit activities by the client that would cause harm, downtime and damage the reputation of the company such as spam, warez hosting, hosting "offensive" material which causes people / groups to email the host or uplink, etc.

It's not stupid once you understand the concept behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by pdqso View Post
    You've never received massive amounts of scripted MediaSentry emails over somebody seeding / downloading a torrent because the IP was seen in tracker. Any provider will look to prohibit activities by the client that would cause harm, downtime and damage the reputation of the company such as spam, warez hosting, hosting "offensive" material which causes people / groups to email the host or uplink, etc.

It's not stupid once you understand the concept behind it.
    Oh I do and I still think it's stupid. I get tons of those email on my home connection as well, but MediaSentry has NO legal authority. Also, keep in mind those emails are being sent in bulk and have targeted the totally wrong person in the past (they even tried to sue a wireless printer once) so I hope that's not why my current provider doesn't even allow legal torrents...

If it is the reason, then it would be a really profitable business to setup a U.S based bittorrent hosting service (seedbox specific or even just VPS) because currently none exist by the looks of things and all you'd have to do is ignore all the empty threats being sent your way...

See also: Megaupload.

Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by pdqso View Post
    See also: Megaupload.
    One wonders how you can go equating Mediasentry spam with not just legitimate DMCA takedowns but with Megaupload, with a straight face!? How does seeding legal torrents "cause harm, downtime and damage the reputation of the company such as spam, warez hosting, hosting "offensive" material which causes people / groups to email the host or uplink"? Perhaps your VPS "marketing" skills need some polish...

I think iperweb hit the nail on the head -- I/O is of the most concern to providers, followed by disproportionate traffic and then, at the end, DMCA concerns. A lot of the cheaper providers are running drives in software RAID1/RAID10 -- those are just not going to be able to deal with the frequent random seeks caused by multiple users torrenting without taking a significant I/O hit. A proper enterprise-disk hardware RAID array/SAN won't have this problem.

Anyone know any such hosts?
    Check out Hostigation, who has excellent VPSs available in North Carolina. IIRC Tim (the owner) has publicly stated that torrents are OK as long as you set appropriate limits so that network/IO are not abused, although if he gets a valid DMCA notice you will be terminated.

Also take a look at edis (hxxp://en.edis.at/virtual-root-server_82.htm). They are a first-class European provider with a presence in Chicago, explicitly allow legal P2P, and for approx. $22 will give you 2GB RAM/100GB HD/10TB bw.

One wonders how you can go equating Mediasentry spam
    Oh god this guys.
    I hate them with all of my heart.
    Naturally since we provide DSL and FTTH also we get a *LOT* of complaints for them, after writing back a few times i started to simply block their mailserver since they did not realize how copyright works in Asia (read: it doesn't) and that we could't track it anyway even if we wanted.