Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well then, I apologise if you found my original post so offensive

Regarding being proactive: Sure, but if hosting is your 24/7 job you know how to find trouble makers before they do what they do best. There have been times when we've refused custom component installs, simply because one of our coders saw fishy loops (amongst other articles) in the source code.

Anyhow, I guess we've established two schools of thought here, those disagree on installing non-standard components and those who agree to installing them. Getting a dedicated server for PDF purposes is a bit extravagant when the same need can be satisfied otherwise (whether its a VPS or a host who supports non-standard components on their shared servers).
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Quote Originally Posted by jerett View Post
    Softlayer or LayeredTech
    I do not recommend Layeredtech.
    Poor customer service. They do not care about their customers, especially abuse department.
    From what i heard in WHT, Softlayer have better customer service.

I think that there are two schools of thought on this.

The bigger hosts need consistency across machines.

A smaller host/reseller who is running just a few boxes is apt to be more flexible about the matter because they don't have the scalability factor to contend with.

Reproducing a box that has been up for a number of years, that has been *tweaked* a few times a year can be a long process. This is true even if the person doing it is also the author of the software, the original installer, the administrator and a partner at the hosting facility. Oh, and also the only user of the box.

Can you imagine what a nightmare it becomes when it is a multiple tenancy?
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12