Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Any thoughts on where to buy a domain? I was going to buy through godaddy but am thinking of perhaps going with the person I get my hosting from. I know godaddy is good but I want to know how big of a deal it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by missakara View Post
    Any thoughts on where to buy a domain? I was going to buy through godaddy but am thinking of perhaps going with the person I get my hosting from. I know godaddy is good but I want to know how big of a deal it makes.
    Some people say that buying the domain name from the hosting company is a bad idea, as any dispute could tie up both services. Some hosts have been known to hold a domain name hostage for payment of web hosting charges. If you buy your domain name separately, you always have the opportunity to then move your site by changing the name servers at the registrar and pointing the domain name to another server.

It used to matter a great deal where you bought the domain name, as the registrars could establish their own rules for transferring the domain name to another registrar. An "ItsYourDomain" affiliate held several of mine hostage by requiring certified checks and notarized letters, certified birth certificates or original driver's license as ID. ICAAN stepped in and the rules are uniform now for all registrars, so its much less of an issue. (At least for .com, .org and .net).

So, you can shop by price for your domain name registration. GoDaddy, NameCheap, Tucows, eNom and ResellerClub resellers are all mentioned in these forums.

The only thing you need to be aware of is what "extras" you may need. For instance, by default your name, address and phone number is public information to anyone on the Internet unless you have "privacy protection" or "domain privacy". Some registrars include it for free, and some charge. If that's a feature you want, you have to compare the price with that included.

Thanks, yeah I am going to get the privacy protection. :-)

I am going to go with MDD! :-D

Now I'm trying to find a good domain registrar.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7328610

I'm sure HostGator will allow u as long as it legal

I already picked a host, trying to decide where to buy my domain now. :-)

I have had a presence on the web since the late 90's. Been hosted by a lot of companies. I am now being hosted by StableHost (shared hosting) and I am very happy with their uptime, customer service, and customer communication. They are the FIRST host that has contacted me ahead of time when they have had to do an unplanned maintenance and contacted me again when things were resolved. And, I can tell you that downtime was minimal.

Their superior customer communication is a real plus for me!

Hostmonster has better price than Hostgator, check them. And if you are a long therm client the deduction is really good

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123