* Legal questions about starting a VoIP company

Hi everybody

I was reading some threads in the site about start a Voip Company from scratch..., but I still have some doubt about it. My main issue is that I don't know the legal requirements/steps to follow.

In my case, the idea is to act as VoIP transit (which is the easy way to start), without direct interaction with final users. I plan to rent a co-location in US or Canada maybe.

I hope any of you can help me with this points:

- Legal steps
    - Required licenses
    - Taxes to pay, and with how
    - I should have a formal company in US or Canada if I decide to locate my servers in any of those countries?

Thanks in advance

I'm not a lawyer and this is not a legal advice but for your information:
    Legal Requirements of a VoIP company:

* Get FCC FRN Number (Federal Registration Number, easy and Free and foreign companies can get that)

* Decide your legal status, I mean are you going to provide services in what state? Maryland, Virginia and etc.

* Consult with experts and lawyers

* Required filing which is mandatory is:
    - Obtaining 499 Filer ID (you need Washington DC point of contact, a lawyer address n example, it is mandatory from FCC)
    - Reporting 499a forms annually and 499q quarterly (doesn't matter if you have to pay Universal Service fund or not or if you are de minimis in legal terms or not)
    - You may need to pay Universal Service Fund Contributions (Mandatory)

What Taxes you should pay:
    * If your business is not located inside the U.S. then you are not subject to US income taxes however there is Universal Service Fund that is assessed by FCC and all providers local or foreign for providing services ti the US customers part of their service should pay

* there are some legal issues like CALEA and liabilities regarding providing US DID numbers to non US customers that you need to consider

* E911 is mandatory for US customers

SHOULD YOU FORM A US Business for that: NO it is not necessary

If you work as a US company then the tax and legal issues are becoming more complicated,

However the Contract that you sign with major providers may be much simpler with a US firm

If you are going to provide services to non-US or non-Canadian customers mainly then you do not need to be US based

I know a company that does all of these for you (legal requirements) in very reasonable prices,

I do not want to advertise for them you may want to know that then send Private Message to me, I will post the names and contacts and addresses then you can talk to them if you wish (they are in Washington DC Area)