Want to pull data from a URL and display it using PHP/HTML

Alright, so I want to build a stats page for Killing Floor. Basically I want to pull data from a URL then using PHP I want to display this stats on a page formatting with HTML.

This is what I've tried so far, but it gives me errors.

Code:
    <?php

//Passing the XML
    $data = file_get_contents('steamcommunity.com/id/lblanchardiii/statsfeed/1250/?xml=1&schema=1');
    $stats = simplexml_load_file($data);
    //-----------------------
    //Passing a filename
    $stats = simplexml_load_file('steamcommunity.com/id/lblanchardiii/statsfeed/1250/?xml=1&schema=1', null, true);
    ?>
    This is the error I am getting

Code:
    Warning: file_get_contents(steamcommunity.com/id/lblanchardiii/statsfeed/1250/?xml=1&schema=1) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/tdnclan/public_html/kf-stats/index.php on line 4

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "" in /home2/tdnclan/public_html/kf-stats/index.php on line 5

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "steamcommunity.com/id/lblanchardiii/statsfeed/1250/?xml=1&schema=1" in /home2/tdnclan/public_html/kf-stats/index.php on line 8
    I was following the example outlined here; http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorial/handling-xml-data

However that doesn't seem to work. I then just saved the XML file to the web server, then used the direct file name in the code above instead of the URL.

Code:
    <?php

//Passing the XML
    $data = file_get_contents('1250.xml');
    $stats = simplexml_load_file($data);
    //Passing a filename
    $stats = simplexml_load_file('1250.xml', null, true);
    ?>
    Still getting errors:
    Code:
    Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><statsfeed><steamID64>76561198035683889</steamID64><stats><ite in /home2/tdnclan/public_html/kf-stats/index.php on line 5

Just realized I am using simplexml_load_file() in the code above, even though the tutorial said to use SimpleXMLElement(), but since that wasn't working I assumed I needed to use something to pull a file remotely since the file wasn't stored physically. Still not working as this is the error I am getting, with the file stored locally.

Code:
    <?php

//Passing the XML
    $stats = SimpleXMLElement($data);
    //Passing a filename
    $stats = SimpleXMLElement('1250.xml', null, true);
    ?>
    Code:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function SimpleXMLElement() in /home2/tdnclan/public_html/kf-stats/index.php on line 5
    Not sure what I am doing wrong and Googling it doesn't seem to help me much; but I'm thinking it's because I don't really know what I need to search.

for "file_get_contents" you need to supply the protocol like 'http://' so it knows where to get the data from.

As for the other example you used, looks like you don't have the required XML functions installed on your server.

Gonna test out that http:// thing, but as for the required XML functions... can you be a little more specific on that?

I'm running CentOS 5.8 w/ WHM/cPanel...
    Apache version 2.2.23
    PHP version 5.3.18
    MySQL version 5.1.65-cll
    Architecture x86_64
    Perl version 5.8.8
    Kernel version 2.6.18-308.11.1.el5

Going to do some research on it now.

Thinking this is what I need to compile apache with; http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.xmlrpc.php

Doing that as I type this.

Try
    PHP Code:
    $stats = new SimpleXMLElement('1250.xml'nulltrue); 

Quote Originally Posted by zoid View Post
    Try
    PHP Code:
    $stats = new SimpleXMLElement('1250.xml'nulltrue); 
    Still get the same error:

Code:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function SimpleXMLElement() in /home2/tdnclan/public_html/kf-stats/index.php on line 5

What PHP version do you use? It should be enabled by default http://www.php.net/manual/en/simplexml.installation.php unless you disabled it

5.3.18 and as far as I know I haven't disabled it. I will check that real quick though.

Apparently it should be enabled.

Code:
    a:40:{i:0;s:4:"Core";i:1;s:4:"date";i:2;s:4:"ereg";i:3;s:6:"libxml";i:4;s:7 :"openssl";i:5;s:4:"pcre";i:6;s:7:"sqlite3";i:7;s:4:"zlib";i:8;s:6:"bcmath" ;i:9;s:8:"calendar";i:10;s:5:"ctype";i:11;s:4:"curl";i:12;s:3:"dom";i:13;s: 4:"hash";i:14;s:6:"filter";i:15;s:3:"ftp";i:16;s:2:"gd";i:17;s:3:"SPL";i:18 ;s:5:"iconv";i:19;s:7:"session";i:20;s:4:"json";i:21;s:8:"mbstring";i:22;s: 5:"mysql";i:23;s:6:"mysqli";i:24;s:5:"posix";i:25;s:10:"Reflection";i:26;s: 8:"standard";i:27;s:4:"imap";i:28;s:9:"SimpleXML";i:29;s:7:"sockets";i:30;s :4:"exif";i:31;s:9:"tokenizer";i:32;s:3:"xml";i:33;s:9:"xmlreader";i:34;s:9 :"xmlwriter";i:35;s:8:"cgi-fcgi";i:36;s:3:"PDO";i:37;s:10:"pdo_sqlite";i:38 ;s:6:"SQLite";i:39;s:17:"Zend Guard Loader";}

Oh wait a minute, I used this code here and it's reporting a blank page; which I think is what it should do right?

Code:
    <?php

//Passing the XML
    $stats = new SimpleXMLElement($data);
    //Passing a filename
    $stats = new SimpleXMLElement('1250.xml', null, true);
    ?>

A blank page would be fine. Do you get a valid object back?

Quote Originally Posted by zoid View Post
    A blank page would be fine. Do you get a valid object back?
    What do you mean by a valid object? Nothing is displaying but a blank page, no errors are reporting.

Okay, I think this is not going to work and I'm going to have to take a different approach. Maybe this isn't an XML file like I originally thought it was. Let me explain.

This is the rest of the code I've since placed under the code I posted above.

Code:
    <?php
    // load SimpleXML
    echo <<<EOF
    <table>
            <tr>
                    <th>Kills</th>
            </tr>
    EOF;
    foreach($stats as $stats) // loop through our stats
    {
            echo <<<EOF
            <tr>
                    <td>{$stats->kills}</td>

</tr>

EOF;
    }
    echo '</table>';
    ?>
    Was hoping, for testing purposes, that it would display "Kills" with the number of kills under but it doesn't. All it displays is just the text "Kills" and nothing else. Then I got to looking at the data I am trying to pull and it's not laid out like the XML document in the tutorial I'm reading online. Here is a snippet of the data;

Code:
    <statsfeed>
    <steamID64>76561198035683889</steamID64>
    <stats>
    <item>
    <APIName>kills</APIName>
    <value>35232</value>
    <displayName>Kills</displayName>
    </item>
    <item>
    <APIName>damagehealed</APIName>
    <value>19944</value>
    <displayName>Damage Healed</displayName>
    </item>
    As you can see, there is no way to for me to specify the kills value, since it's wrapped with a value tag, but ALL of the values in the document are wrapped with a value tag; thus the only way to figure out what value is what is looking at what's between the APIName values, then directly below that it will display the value for that value.

Back to the drawing board now.

Getting somewhere now... Seems I just needed to think about what I was doing first.

Code:
    <?php

//Passing the XML
    $stats = new SimpleXMLElement($data);
    //Passing a filename
    ?>

<?php
    // load SimpleXML
    echo <<<EOF
    <table>
            <tr>
                    <th>Stat</th>
    				<th>value</th>
    				<th>Display Name</th>
            </tr>
    EOF;
    foreach($stats as $stats) // loop through our stats
    {
            echo <<<EOF
            <tr>
                    <td>{$stats->item->APIName}</td>
    				<td>{$stats->item->value}</td>
    				<td>{$stats->item->displayname}</td>
            </tr>

EOF;
    }
    echo '</table>';
    ?>
    This gives me data on my page now!!! Still not in a good way though. For reference this is the data I am pulling:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/lblanch...xml=1&schema=1

This is what shows when the above code is pulls the data from above (but a physical file instead of the URL)

Code:
    Stat	value	Display Name
    kills	35232	
    winwestlondonnormal	1
    Not really worried about the formatting at this point, but as you can see... it pull two different sets of data.

the top half of the xml file
    Code:
    <statsfeed>
    <steamID64>76561198035683889</steamID64>
    <stats>
    <item>
    <APIName>kills</APIName>
    <value>35232</value>
    <displayName>Kills</displayName>
    </item>
    Towards the middle/lower part of the file:
    Code:
    </stats>
    <achievements>
    <item>
    <APIName>winwestlondonnormal</APIName>
    <value>1</value>
    <displayName>
    So I kind of see why it's pulling both sets of data. The "item" isn't in the same formatting as the "item" on the rest of the page above, it's almost as if the "item" has now replaced the "stats" within' the formatting, so the data is pulling that now? I don't really get it, but I sort of get it.

Okay, I think I am going to take a different approach this. Instead of the way I'm doing it now (printing the data), I'm going to try to map the data so I can use it that way. Now where do I start on that? Google to the rescue.