Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

StyleXNetworks Down early?!

I got the e-mail a few days ago that they will be shutting their doors on Sept. 30th. I'm trying to log into my VPS and found my server offline. When I log in to start it up, it is just hung.

Is anyone else having issues? I put in a support ticket but...I'm not going to hold my breath.

same issue here

While nothing has been admitted publically, and I don't think there is any actual proof...some of the things I've seen floating around were that they are shutting their doors because they couldn't afford to pay their bills.

If that is the case...their providers may be shutting down their servers before the 30th date that StyleX set themselves. I think not holding your breath is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
    While nothing has been admitted publically, and I don't think there is any actual proof...some of the things I've seen floating around were that they are shutting their doors because they couldn't afford to pay their bills.

If that is the case...their providers may be shutting down their servers before the 30th date that StyleX set themselves. I think not holding your breath is a good idea.
    Exactly, if they were already in arrears, as providers realize they have no intention of making further payments they will likely go ahead and pull services offline. Get your backups now, not later. The same scenario played out with burst dc's once that closure was announced.

some of the things I've seen floating around were that they are shutting their doors because they couldn't afford to pay their bills.
    I really hope I'm not screwed. There doesn't seem to be a way to pull my backup off the StyleXServers through their console and I can't pull the tar.gzs off my VM without turning it on.

*sigh*

Were you really going to wait until the 29th to take backups of your data?

Quote Originally Posted by ZKuJoe View Post
    Were you really going to wait until the 29th to take backups of your data?
    No, I was going to pull my data today to migrate over the weekend. I would have done it sooner but figured that the weekend would be a good time to do everything. I was hoping to be over to my new AWS instance before Sunday.

their providers may be shutting down their servers before the 30th date that StyleX set themselves.
    Does anyone know who their providers were? I figured StyleX was a reseller but if we can contact their provider, even pay for a few days of uptime, it'd be worth it in my book.

Do a WHOIS lookup on your VPS's IP address. I highly doubt they have their own IPs so the data center they get them from will be listed under the contact info for the IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZKuJoe View Post
    Do a WHOIS lookup on your VPS's IP address. I highly doubt they have their own IPs so the data center they get them from will be listed under the contact info for the IPs.
    Here's what I got:

Code:
    [Querying whois.arin.net]
    [whois.arin.net]

#
    # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
    # available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
    #
    # If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
    # http://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml
    #

#
    # Query terms are ambiguous.  The query is assumed to be:
    #     "n 198.148.112.xx"
    #
    # Use "?" to get help.
    #

#
    # The following results may also be obtained via:
    # http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=198.148.112.xx?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&ext=netref2
    #

STYLEX Networks INC STYLEX-NETWORKS-CLIENTS2 (NET-198-148-112-0-1) 198.148.112.0 - 198.148.112.255
    MULTACOM CORPORATION MULTA-NET12 (NET-198-148-96-0-1) 198.148.96.0 - 198.148.127.255

#
    # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
    # available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
    #
    # If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
    # http://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml
    #
    I just sent Multacom an e-mail. Hopefully they'll get back to me.
    Last edited by Sohmc; 09-12-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Incomplete copy of the whois informaiton

Its hard reading these threads when a host decides to close their doors. When I have a game hosting brand that I was forced to close, I atleast made sure the servers were on 2 weeks past the scheduled close date just to make sure my clients had plenty of time to generate backups and move. Sad to see other hosts don't tend to this same level of courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazhost View Post
    Sad to see other hosts don't tend to this same level of courtesy.
    I don't think it's lack of courtesy; it's unfortunate part of business. If you don't have the money or capital, you really can't provide the service, even though you may want to.

I would agree that they CEO, et al should pay out-of-pocket to keep things going to allow users a good transition but it's not always possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohmc View Post
    I don't think it's lack of courtesy; it's unfortunate part of business.
    Not having a shut down plan, and a backup shut down plan is a HUGE lack of courtesy. This is what business plans are for...what happens if the unthinkable happens, and how to you get out of the situation gracefully.

If you let it get to the point where the only option is to jump ship and run while you watch all the passengers sink...you've gotten past the point of decent courtesy...no matter how you got there.

Well, schucks. They deleted their twitter and Facebook page.

I'm boned.

* Sailing in the same boat

Guys,

I am sailing in the same boat. Have 2 VPS servers without back up and they are not responding. They have disconnected their phone number too.

As mentioned in one of the comment above if he is reseller and any body got any contact of the server owner, please share.

I know we missed to take backup before time, but this early shutdown is ruining us.

Pleas help

Yes, a lot have their nodes seem to have been down. Pretty much BurstNET being repeated here. They are in Multacom,LA. I believe rented HW, so someone can try and see if they can help.

Quote Originally Posted by lamecoder View Post
    As mentioned in one of the comment above if he is reseller and any body got any contact of the server owner, please share.
    I contacted Multacom.com and actually got a reply back a few hours later. The guy asked some clarifying questions and I'm guessing that they may be trying to figure out how to help out StyleX customers. I'm hoping this is as simple as, "I'll pay you a month's worth of uptime for just a week or two" but I'm getting the sense that they don't want to really deal with the fallout of StyleX's bad business.

Not having a shut down plan, and a backup shut down plan is a HUGE lack of courtesy.
    I'm not defending them...but it's more of a rookie move. If they have never had a business before (and judging by their naivete this may be the case), it may have never occurred to them to have an exit strategy.

Huzzah! Reply from Multicom:

As far as their systems are concerned they are on and have not been shutdown from our side. Their termination notice is effective end of the month. There must be some issues with the HV or another technical issue not related to our service.

I am contacting them to inform them of your issue.
    It may be a bandwidth issue then. Everyone is logging in to obtain a backup. I wonder if they oversold...

Thanks

Huzzah! Reply from Multicom:

It may be a bandwidth issue then. Everyone is logging in to obtain a backup. I wonder if they oversold...
    Thanks Sohmc, I hope we will get access soon.

Update at 1:53PM EDT: It looks like StyleX is attempting to start up my VM but after a few minutes, shuts it down. It's progress of a sort...hoping it gets sorted before the weekend...

Startign up

Update at 1:53PM EDT: It looks like StyleX is attempting to start up my VM but after a few minutes, shuts it down. It's progress of a sort...hoping it gets sorted before the weekend...
    Yeah, atleast its showing that its shut down, earlier it was showing 'pending' status. Will keep you posted if I see my VM running.

I highly reccomend anyone on StyleXNetworks start finding where you are going to move your backup and have it ready just in case StyleXNetworks comes up again. It would be really foolish if you have important data to start looking for where your going to send your files to if and when StyleXNetworks comes back up. You never know it could be up for a minute an hour a day. Also recommend if StyleXNetworks does come back up you drop whatever your doing and get your back ups do not wait.

Hmm how did you contact Multacom? I called their tech support yesterday but didn't get much help :X.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvatech View Post
    It would be really foolish if you have important data to start looking for where your going to send your files to if and when StyleXNetworks comes back up.
    I plan to just download it to my computer at home. I had a backup script set up to automatically copy every month but I hadn't realize that it hadn't been working since January.

My guess right now is that StyleX is overwhelmed with everyone trying to get backups. You're right that they may only be on a day or so but the e-mail I got from their datacenter is that they have committed until the 30th. I'm not going to hang my hopes on it and plan on pushing everything over to a new server as soon as I can do so. I've already lost an entire day's worth of e-mails. I should probably move my e-mail to a new system now...
    Last edited by bear; 09-13-2014 at 07:26 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast