Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Datacenters

UK Datacenters

Hello,

Could users please post some popular UK datacenters/colocation providers?

Thanks.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

We have racks with Redbus (now TelecityRedbus) and are in their Meridian and Sovereign buildings. Both are first class and in the London Docklands. Very good quality facilities but you have to be willing to pay for it.

I would recommend contacting gyron.net if your looking for someone to provide you with colo or dedicated in that facility.

There are cheaper places such as iphouse but they are a little more ghetto.

Check out www.forum2.co.uk for the best advice and for quotes from UK colo providers and DC's.

Yeah, a bit pricy but like you said, it's first class. I'll check out that forum as well.

Thanks for the recommendations.

TELEHOUSE Europe
    www.telehouse.net

Redbus is simply the way to go. Have a few friends there and they just love it.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Check out www.datacentres.org.uk

They list pretty much all the main data centres worth looking at.

What do you want in the way of service?

Do you want low cost racks, where you yourself will need to support your machines?

Do you want to pay a bit extra and go with a company that provide their own onsite staff in their own onsite offices?

The difference between the two in the Uk is very large.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

Low-medium cost racks. Would need on-site support provided by the facility to do small things such as reboots and look at the console, but that's about it. I'd also like to see a nice mix of bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Virpus-Ken
    Low-medium cost racks. Would need on-site support provided by the facility to do small things such as reboots and look at the console, but that's about it. I'd also like to see a nice mix of bandwidth.
    There is nowhere super cheap in the UK anymore, compared to US basic price, UK basic prices are much higher. Power and cooling is very expensive. If you need value for money I imagine being a few ms out of London where land is much cheaper doesn't make much difference to you, BlueSquare would probably be a good choice where you can easily buy some MPLS / L2TP back to the likes of RedBus and Telehouse and pick up your carriers of choice (there are literally thousands available).

We're located in RedBus datacentres which are really fantastic, but there's a high price to pay and if you're on a budget I doubt you'll be able to afford it.

Good Luck,

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Quote Originally Posted by Virpus-Ken
    In the UK, there are largely lots of rack resellers, with private suites. Your request will generally be passed through them, to the dc. Response times, because of this are often known to be very slow (we've experienced it first hand).

As Dan says, Bluesquare is an excellent new facility (so much so we're due to move into our suite with onsite offices there shortly!). Having taken the tour and seen the staff / directors, I couldn't recommend it enough. Plus to that, the pricing is reasonable, which as Dan says, is an issue here in the UK at the moment, particularly with power.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

Quote Originally Posted by [inx]Olly
    In the UK, there are largely lots of rack resellers, with private suites. Your request will generally be passed through them, to the dc. Response times, because of this are often known to be very slow (we've experienced it first hand).

As Dan says, Bluesquare is an excellent new facility (so much so we're due to move into our suite with onsite offices there shortly!). Having taken the tour and seen the staff / directors, I couldn't recommend it enough. Plus to that, the pricing is reasonable, which as Dan says, is an issue here in the UK at the moment, particularly with power.
    I will give a nod to BlueSquare as well which as chance would have it I'm currently based at and sitting at my new desk there looking out the window.

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2
    I will give a nod to BlueSquare as well which as chance would have it I'm currently based at and sitting at my new desk there looking out the window.

Rus
    Sounds like we're going to be office neighbours then Rus. Look forward to meeting you.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

Up the stairs, turn right, office next to the toliets

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

That's the one we were showed round.

We'll be there around Sept 10th onwards.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

highly recommend gyron.net, have been with them for more than a year now with spotless service and uptime.
    George Donnelly / Systems Administrator
    High Speed Rails inc. / FOSS Hosting
    http://highspeedrails.com
    "Linux is Luke. FreeBSD is Yoda."

Another vote for Bluesquare. We're hoping to take some racks over there shortly to give SynergyWorks a 4th UK site - TelecityRedbus is impressing me less and less as time goes on.
    Robert Bentley - SynergyWorks.co.uk - AS41659

Dedicated Servers, Virtual Servers, Colocation & iP Transit
    T: +44 (0)1622 808 456 / F: +44 (0)1622 808 457 / E: r.bentley [at] synergyworks.co.uk

Would recommend IP House but it does get some nocking via the forums sometimes. Most people call it a big milk shed and its not in the nicest area of london such as where Redbus is but been there many times and cant complaint.

Only one I thing I do have to say is make sure you can make you own access requests to the dc. As I was waiting for 5 hours outside in my car awaiting access because my provider had screwed up (and still wont admit it). Anyway after 5 hours, a technicain felt sorry for me, made some phone calls and thank you to hi-velocity (not even my provider) all I have to say.

I have to agree. While ipHouse isn't the best london facility, we do have a rack there - fed from our core in Redbus Meridian - and so far there have been no major issues with the facility. We've had more failures in Redbus Sovereign than ipHouse if im totally honest.
    Robert Bentley - SynergyWorks.co.uk - AS41659

Dedicated Servers, Virtual Servers, Colocation & iP Transit
    T: +44 (0)1622 808 456 / F: +44 (0)1622 808 457 / E: r.bentley [at] synergyworks.co.uk

What is the website for iphouse?

Im the same,

I had more problems at Meriden Gate and Sov. House. IPHouse isnt the nicest and the one with the commfy couch when you need a break but it does the job well and without issue.

http://www.legend.co.uk/

£350 a month for a rack per month plus £1000 setup I think

iphouse needs money spent on it... dont they have broken A/C and such in parts of the DC, and noticable heat problems in patches of the DC floor?

The pricing they are offering it to try and get the place filled, and not necessarily sustainable so you can also expect a price rise in 12 months.

Hi Matt,

So they have a business plan like every other data centre? Just like tele house did, redbus did... Everyone keeps saying it in a way which pin points out IP House but loads of other places have done that and luckly enough IP house have yet to do it. Its a standard business plan. RedBus did the same and 2 of there DCs have problems.. Power and Cooling.

With IP House last I heard there AC is perfectly fine but when the DC is on max capacity it does leave nearly any head room. But last I heard they where sorting the situation. Also on the cooling I heard room 2 was slightly cooler than room 1 but again its being sorted and if you visit it you can see that with technicains working on the air con. More than what is happening at Mer. gate last time I was there..

We had problems with a few of our servers in Redbus because of crappy cooling aka was like a asmatic blowing at you but when moved to IPhouse they run fine and have done for over 5 months.

As I said, IP House doesnt look top of the notch when you outside unlike the Redbus or a few of the tele house buildings but once in side it does the job like any data centre very well.

[/endofrant]

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreat1
    Hi Matt,

So they have a business plan like every other data centre? Just like tele house did, redbus did... Everyone keeps saying it in a way which pin points out IP House but loads of other places have done that and luckly enough IP house have yet to do it.
    I think the point is - choosing IP house on price alone is a bad idea because there will be price rises in the future. Moving kit from Redbus to a cheaper DC like IP House (like some providers have done) is only a short term solution...
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

But with some of the prices that we where quoted with at RedBus since the price rise it was more of a sensible move than to pay 4 times the ammount at RedBus and with IPHouse not being a sauna during the day it was a wise move.

Redbus or BlueSquare I would say.
    Last edited by FS - Mike; 08-29-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast