Power VPS Packages? Sales / Billing / Support? What do you think?

Hey,

I've been with PVPS for coming up 2 years now, Ive had a few issues but they have mostly been sorted quickly...

I'm fairly happy with the support, they are normally answered quickly, however I have had a few things going on - one now for over a year, and I just get fobbed off.... but other than that, the main bulk of the service is A1. You always seem to get the same guys, which is nice, kinda means they are all real people and reliable... etc etc...

However I'm not sure if there are better companies out there, I pay $126.95 p/q + $12 p/a for an extra IP address.

I'm on Plesk 8.6 Centos 4.02, PHP 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 and MySQL 5.0.46-1.el4.centos -
    GenuineIntel, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

Currently getting alerts saying im within 500mb of my 10GB space.

only have 29 domains, but its increasing by a couple a month gradually...

Can anyone give me any thoughts - I'm just waiting for them to get intouch about an upgrade cost etc... but I'm not sure about bandwidth etc...

So yeah, any thoughts?

Hi there,

If you don't know where your space is being used at, please contact support. They should be able to show you a breakdown of how your space is being used.

It's possible you have log files that are not being rotated, or temp files that are building up, or it's possible that you're sites are just growing.

If you don't need the files, support can help you to remove them. If you do need them, they can give you options for adding more disk space. I don't believe you're close to using your bandwidth allocations. We give a fairly generous amount of bandwidth with each of our packages and very few customers are coming close to exceeding it. Those that are already know it and have been in contact with support regarding the matter.

Also, just so you know... the number of sites you have (29) does not have any relevance in terms of the amount of space, memory, or other resource usage that might be being used.

For example, a single site like WebHostingTalk itself is powered by MANY servers and have much greater than 10GB worth of total files from what I understand.

If you need further help, please don't hesitate to contact support. If necessary, ask for the ticket to be escallated to my attention.

I hope that helps!
    Rob Yates
    Sales Engineer
    PowerVPS / Virtacore
    Virtacore Systems, Inc.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I dont think im anywhere near bandwidth usage, however what I meant was I dont know what allowance I get. I asked Pooja about an upgrade but they are going to end up costing me double a month, and obviously if that was the case i'd rather get two different servers...

I'm not sure if there is anything you can do with regards to this? I did ask some guys to check in to my system, and it came back that mostly the files are in use, with some for logging etc...

I've been asking your guys to sort out the out of date plesk SSL cert for a year now, but i just keep getting told it has no effect - however the effect it does have is that all of the clients that see it, ring or email me to ask if the server is safe.... Its just a pain, and I think that as the SSL cert for plesk is issued with the server its something you guys should handle....

but anyway, I just wondered what else is out there, obviously I'd rather just grab an upgrade with no migration etc, because I could do without any downtime for my clients etc...

and I say, im very happy with the critical response times etc, some of the other response times could be a bit better, but hey, if its not critical then I'm smiling

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@PowerVPS View Post
    Hi there,

If you don't know where your space is being used at, please contact support. They should be able to show you a breakdown of how your space is being used.

It's possible you have log files that are not being rotated, or temp files that are building up, or it's possible that you're sites are just growing.

If you don't need the files, support can help you to remove them. If you do need them, they can give you options for adding more disk space. I don't believe you're close to using your bandwidth allocations. We give a fairly generous amount of bandwidth with each of our packages and very few customers are coming close to exceeding it. Those that are already know it and have been in contact with support regarding the matter.

Also, just so you know... the number of sites you have (29) does not have any relevance in terms of the amount of space, memory, or other resource usage that might be being used.

For example, a single site like WebHostingTalk itself is powered by MANY servers and have much greater than 10GB worth of total files from what I understand.

If you need further help, please don't hesitate to contact support. If necessary, ask for the ticket to be escallated to my attention.

I hope that helps!

If what you are running out of is ONLY disk space, then the cost is not double. It sounds like you are thinking about a PLAN upgrade which not only increases disk space, but memory, CPU, and bandwidth. (It essentially doubles what you have today.)

If you want to increase only your disk space, in the legacy system (which is where your VPS is deployed based on the pricing you posted), the cost for extra disk space is $2.50 per GB or $18 for 10GB of extra disk space.

Regarding the cert issue... if you are ever not happy with a response to a ticket, please do reach out to our management team. They'll be happy to check into the problem for you. The address in the bottom of each tech's signature reaches our company's entire management team (support, engineering, operations, billing, etc) as well as our CEO. If you have not purchased an actual signed SSL cert, support should be able to help you update Plesk to use another valid self-signed cert. (However at the end of the day, that only changes the error message your customers see... instead of seeing one saying it's out of date, they'll see a message that the cert is not signed by a recognized signing authority.)

I hope that helps.
    Rob Yates
    Sales Engineer
    PowerVPS / Virtacore
    Virtacore Systems, Inc.

Ah, yes I'm sorry Pooja did state the $18 for 10GB extra charge, however when I read it i assumed that was only for the new packages..

I will get that ordered thank you.

I will upgrade my ticket and ask the management team to look at it. I do feel it is something that was supplied by you guys when I ordered and there was no mention that I would be responsible after year one. I'll get on to tech again and check.

Thanks
    Drew

Hi there,

Just so you understand how we operate... this is not an issue of we stop helping you after a year.

When you receive your server, we install the latest version of software available, perform several security hardening measures (such as installing a firewall, disabling unsafe binaries, etc), and perform our basic steps included with our Easy Start program.

After the server is released, we don't PROACTIVELY login and make changes to your server. If we were to do that, there is a chance we could break your setup or configuration. We could undo any kind of changes you might have applied, etc.

However if you have questions, our support team is happy to help. The self-signed cert that is included with Plesk by default is generated for a one year period. That's not a PowerVPS settting. That's how it would be on any Plesk server deployed. It's possible to manually generate it for a longer period of time, but by default that is not done.

I hope that helps!
    Rob Yates
    Sales Engineer
    PowerVPS / Virtacore
    Virtacore Systems, Inc.