Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Incomprehension has reach a new level in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by billy_rud View Post
    Back to the topic, I contacted another UPS store in the area(store 0398) and they gave me the following quote.

Packing: $ 78.00
    Shipping: $ 90.00
    Pick up: $ 40.00

Total: $208.00
    for one server?
    http://www.bitaccel.com/ - High resource vps hosting and vps resellers.

Quote Originally Posted by YDGH-Corey View Post
    for one server?
    Yes a 1U server.

Yes a 1U server.
    damn thats expensive... and this is why I use fedex.

I agree, I emailed a couple of the local fedex shops and they said no to picking it up prior to packing.

I agree, I emailed a couple of the local fedex shops and they said no to picking it up prior to packing.
    I'd probably be willing to take the chance of paying Mr. WHT to take it to fedex in that case.

Back to the topic, I contacted another UPS store in the area(store 0398) and they gave me the following quote.

Shipping: $ 90.00
    Pick up: $ 40.00

Total: $208.00
    Depending on shipping method and packaging technique, that sounds reasonable, understanding that a UPS Store won't stock boxes designed specifically for servers and is a retail type business. The correct way to pack computers using standard boxes would be to double box the server, which requires quite a bit labor and materials. If it's like me when I owned a packing/shipping store, they also take on liability for the package making to the destination in one piece. I personally also used more expensive materials such as double wall boxes and would frequently custom build boxes to fit the exact item I'm shipping. Note that my time in the packing/shipping business dates back to the '90's and stores may be equipped with more advanced foam in place and other techniques not available "back in the day".

If possible, I'd coordinate to get original manufacturer packing materials for your specific hardware and is designed for shipping. We've pulled in shipping materials from Supermicro on a number of occasions. Back when I was shipping, UPS/FedEx preferred OEM packaging and would pay claims on damage when the packaging was OEM. When colo equipment arrives at our facility, we give the customer options of disposing of their packing materials, returning it to them or paying for storage as we pay rent for every square foot of our facility and need to recoup that expense.

In short, there's numerous factors to successfully shipping electronic equipment. This includes packing material, preferred shipping methods to minimize impacts, declared value / insurance and understanding what packages actually go through in the shipping process (a fragile sticker doesn't do a thing for the treatment of your packages - you need to understand the shipping system and package to that standard)

- Mike

I got a homie down there, met him a few years back when I was trying to score some ... while on vacation. I sent him a TXT earlier, he said he can help move your servers no questions asked. He'll beat all your other prices, forget UPS this dudes got the hookups. Send me a PM and I'll give you his digits. (Dudes also selling stereos, if anyone needs one.)

It's not that expensive...
    I am going to assume that also includes insurance in the shipping. That brings the price up quite a bit.
    When I ship servers to vegas from southern cali. Its only 27 dollars without insurance. When I insure the server it bumps it to almost 80 dollars.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    It's not that expensive...
    I am going to assume that also includes insurance in the shipping. That brings the price up quite a bit.
    When I ship servers to vegas from southern cali. Its only 27 dollars without insurance. When I insure the server it bumps it to almost 80 dollars.

Of course they don't carry the server box size, but they have boxes that a server will fit in.

I've shipped servers PLENTY of times and had them pack it and they've never used more than bubblewrap and the brown paper. What's wrong with that? I've never had a server damaged because of it.

The last server I shipped cost me $11.99 for Fedex to pack it. I also declare a value with all of my shipping. Do I have to buy insurance separate from declaring a value?

Really, everyone in this thread complaining about this needs to rethink their business strategy.
    You start off with a cheap provider, one that should have never been used to begin with, then you try to make it cheaper by skimping on keeping your devices safe ?
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Of course they don't carry the server box size, but they have boxes that a server will fit in.

I've shipped servers PLENTY of times and had them pack it and they've never used more than bubblewrap and the brown paper. What's wrong with that? I've never had a server damaged because of it.

The last server I shipped cost me $11.99 for Fedex to pack it. I also declare a value with all of my shipping. Do I have to buy insurance separate from declaring a value?
    I would hate to be on one of your servers.
    Even ebay sellers pack better than that.
    I've never seen a fedex or ups around here pack that poorly. Fedex triple packed a 18 inch laptop because it wouldn't fit in their laptop box.

Really, everyone in this thread complaining about this needs to rethink their business strategy.
    You start off with a cheap provider, one that should have never been used to begin with, then you try to make it cheaper by skimping on keeping your devices safe ?
    Just because the price is cheap does not mean the service has to be cheap, that's a misconception by many including yourself.

By everyone I'm assuming you mean 'YDGH-Corey' because everything you are saying is in reply to me, how in the HELL is using bubble wrap and brown paper hurting my servers?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I got a homie down there, met him a few years back when I was trying to score some ... while on vacation. I sent him a TXT earlier, he said he can help move your servers no questions asked. He'll beat all your other prices, forget UPS this dudes got the hookups. Send me a PM and I'll give you his digits. (Dudes also selling stereos, if anyone needs one.)
    I spit out my drink lol.

I would hate to be on one of your servers.
    Even ebay sellers pack better than that.
    I've never seen a fedex or ups around here pack that poorly. Fedex triple packed a 18 inch laptop because it wouldn't fit in their laptop box.
    They always put our servers in a bigger box than is required as well because they don't have the right box... and they put PLENTY of packing material in there......

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    I spit out my drink lol.
    As did I. I think maybe he was being a smartass?

Just because the price is cheap does not mean the service has to be cheap, that's a misconception by many including yourself.

By everyone I'm assuming you mean 'YDGH-Corey' because everything you are saying is in reply to me, how in the HELL is using bubble wrap and brown paper hurting my servers?
    Well it's not protecting it and you should understand why bubblewrap should not be used on expensive computer equipment that should not be banged around.

Seriously can I ask a question. If you were sending a flat screen TV to your mom and had to repack it would you just throw brown paper and bubble wrap around it?

You have been lucky thus far (as far as you know). Likely your drives have damage that will only show up when you least expect it.

How is it a misconception? Do some research. Cheap colo providers fail to provide good service on a daily basis.

Not just you YDGH-Corey, many other people have mentioned cheap ways too.
    But yes bubble wrap and brown paper is not the correct way to ship a server. I have seen both fedex and ups drop servers on the ground on the ground out of the back of the truck outside of 530 w 6th street in Los Angeles, pick them up and deliver them.

Your not going to provide correct support with bubble wrap. Its going to bang around.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    Well it's not protecting it and you should understand why bubblewrap should not be used on expensive computer equipment that should not be banged around.

Seriously can I ask a question. If you were sending a flat screen TV to your mom and had to repack it would you just throw brown paper and bubble wrap around it?

You have been lucky thus far (as far as you know). Likely your drives have damage that will only show up when you least expect it.
    SMART isn't showing anything on the drives....

What's wrong with layering bubble wrap around the equipment? I would definitely ship a TV with a crap ton of bubble wrap.

What's wrong with layering bubble wrap around the equipment? I would definitely ship a TV with a crap ton of bubble wrap.

Smart will not show all errors.
    I have drives that show no smart errors but have disk io errors.

You are mean to your mom. Her tv is broken.

Another good point, Regardless of the ups/fedex shipping store packing it or not, if it gets damaged in shipping its very likely they will tell you to piss off and not compensate if it was not packed good enough.

... and yet you're opening threads asking about KVM charges, posting in the outage threads, and complaining that your budget colo provider won't offer you the full services of shipping and packing that other facilities will.

It's almost like this is a quintessential application of "you get what you pay for."
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
    ... and yet you're opening threads asking about KVM charges, posting in the outage threads, and complaining that your budget colo provider won't offer you the full services of shipping and packing that other facilities will.

It's almost like this is a quintessential application of "you get what you pay for."
    On this specific one, yes.. but we are with other providers that are great!

EDIT:

Continuum was great up until the past 2-3 months... hopefully they will get better.

Another good point, Regardless of the ups/fedex shipping store packing it or not, if it gets damaged in shipping its very likely they will tell you to piss off and not compensate if it was not packed good enough.
    So what should we do then? Should I demand that my servers be packed a certain way? Is bubblewrap really that bad?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast