Beginner - need some advice please

I'm very new to web hosting and setting up a website. I've done a little research over the past couple of days, learned a few fundamental things, but still have some questions for anyone who feels like helping a newbie out.

I'm trying to set up a basic website for my design portolio with the following:

-1 page consisting of a graphic I've already created in InDesign.

-On that page I want to have a link that downloads my pdf. The pdf is my portfolio (about 9.5 mb).

-I'd like the pdf link to be password protected.

Based on what I've learned, this is what I have to do:

-using photoshop, slice the part of my graphic that I want to be link for the pdf. Save the graphic and sliced image as html.

-open in dreamweaver and center the page, resave.

-choose a reliable webhost and obtain my domain name through them.

-upload the files and choose the password protect option for the link (directory).

Assuming I have the basics down, my biggest problem right now is choosing a webhost. I've had some people recommend bluehost/hostgator, but then I've also heard people trash them.

So my questions are,

1) What would be a good reliable host for my basic needs?

2) do I have the basic setup steps down?

Please keep in mind I'm a complete novice at this (if it wasn't obvious already).

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

So my questions are,

1) What would be a good reliable host for my basic needs?
    A Shared Host should be able to accomodate what you require as your requirements do see quite small really. Now as far as the PSD's are conecerned maybe someone here could help you more here as I am not much of a PSD expert nor a designer I am afraid.

Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

thanks Sean.

I also wanted to asked everyone their thoughts on PolurNET.com? Consumersearch.com rates it as the best budget host.

Polurnet I cannot say is a Host that I have heard of, However, They seem to be quite steep on their prices with Space.

Do you know what sort of requirements you will need for Space and Bandwidth?
    - What sort of budget do you have?

If you need more space, Then maybe you might want to look elsewhere. Though as you state your PDF is only 9.5MB, That is nothing compared to 9GB.

There are many webhosts around with different prices and values with Bandwidth and Space. They might be rated as the best budget host, Though how is there support/uptime etc?

Something you also need to look at.

Sean

It would be helpful if you told us how much space you expect to use, how much traffic you expect and where you are located. But as Sean mentioned a shared plan looks like your best bet, so head on down to the shared hosting offers section and you will find a wide variety of offers and you can choose the best that will fit your needs.

Consumerresearch is a commercial entity whose goal is to make money by providing information (true or not) and I believe they use affiliate links as well...

I've never heard of the provider you linked - my advice would be to find a reputable provider from here on WHT.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I would recommend igxhost, hostgator, or mddhosting which you can do searches for on this forum for reviews. I cant tell you which of these 3 would be best for you only you can decide that if theres any features 1 offers that the other does not etc.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

I would recommend igxhost, hostgator, or mddhosting
    You have experience with them? - Your Sig tells otherwise

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    You have experience with them? - Your Sig tells otherwise

Sean
    I used mddhosting for a month no downtime. moved away because it was a basic test site. Recommended old customers to mddhosting. I used hostgator for a personal blog with no issues and igxhost has had good reviews lately and a good uptime status.

igxhost has had good reviews lately and a good uptime status.
    Cannot recommend without experience, Even if they have good reviews and uptime

- Mike offers excellent service, One of the best I had when I was with them. Oh wait I still am.

Sean

Cannot recommend without experience, Even if they have good reviews and uptime

- Mike offers excellent service, One of the best I had when I was with them. Oh wait I still am.

Sean
    true but im sure if a host had good reviews and could fit a users needs not suggesting them would be terrible XD
    yeah I guess I shouldnt suggest igx host just from great uptime and every review being good XD

- Just think of it as, I would love to recommend say 'xxx' host. I have no prior experience but still would love too, I can't. The host may have exceptional reviews and perfect uptime but these are just reviews based on a persons experience (right or wrong).

What is XD?

Sean

- Just think of it as, I would love to recommend say 'xxx' host. I have no prior experience but still would love too, I can't. The host may have exceptional reviews and perfect uptime but these are just reviews based on a persons experience (right or wrong).

What is XD?

Sean
    true and for XD thats my annoying smiley that i cant stop posting *ocd I think lol*

how many pdf files do you have? approximately how many monthly download of those pdf do you think that you're going to get?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Lightbulb

Just noticed this thread since a client pointed it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Consumerresearch is a commercial entity whose goal is to make money by providing information (true or not) and I believe they use affiliate links as well...

I've never heard of the provider you linked - my advice would be to find a reputable provider from here on WHT.
    Consumersearch.com does NOT have any affiliate system as far as we know. We were extensively researched and interviewed by them (they are the same people behind About.com) before getting approved in the budget hosting category. We get absolutely nothing if you click any of the links... we don't even have any affiliate program! Not to mention, we are reputable here on WHT and several other webhosting/domain forums for over 5 years, so don't assume what you see on another site is necessarily false.

Polurnet I cannot say is a Host that I have heard of, However, They seem to be quite steep on their prices with Space.

Sean
    The prices are based on strict anti-overselling policies and low sites/server ratio. Of course, these days, this term 'overselling' is overused, but essentially, we expect the customer to use 100% of the package space allotted to them and bill accordingly.

JAFL, good luck with your decision!
    •• polur.net | Premium web hosting solutions you can trust since 2004••
    High performance NVMe SSD, CloudLinux & LiteSpeed hosting with Canadian datacentres